Author Topic: Embarrassment by Brad Stevens  (Read 12870 times)

Re: Embarrassment by Brad Stevens
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2017, 09:03:48 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Hey man... you know you are probably right.

Brad Stevens is a bad coach.

Good job, you win.

(No one else respond to this thread)

You are confused and cant connect dots,

« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2017, 09:03:54 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
If this topic was about coaching. I would tell people , I am a big Brad Stevens fan. I think he is a top 5 coach in this league easy.

But this is about this series and how I think he didn't do all he could to make this team be competitive. I understand losing IT, even though we got murdered with him (yes he was a bit injured) .

Again what do you want him to do?  You think he can just run play after to play to get layups?  Jesus look at the rosters.  We are playing against arguably one of the top 5 players to ever play and their 2nd and 3rd best players are better than anyone we have on the court.

Not to be losing by 40 at home in 1 half.

Again since you are smarter than the coach tell me what you would have done different.

Don't bother. We know he's not smarter. 2030 seems to know little about basketball and even less about coaching so even if he responds it's not going to make much sense or be grounded in reality. Unless he started this thread to look ill informed, entitled and whiny I don't think it's having the impact he was looking for.

No one like getting blown out but Cleveland just steamrolled Toronto (only one game was within 10 points) and swept Indy. We faced a great team who was peaking at the right moment AND was shooting lights-out AND was allowed to manhandle our players without any fouls being called AND we lost our best player AND who we don't match up with particularly well anyway. That's a recipe to get blown out of the gym and that's what happened. Those aren't excuses. Those are simply facts. We lost to the better team - a team that we knew was better all year long. There's no need for blame. There's no need to cry. You accept that the King is still the King and you get better next year - something we've done each of the last four years.

If someone else's reaction is to cry like a whiny little b**ch then so be it. It's just one more voice that becomes easy to discount in any discussion about the team because they've already announced to the world that they don't approach the game analytically.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2017, 09:47:49 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
This is one of the worst coaching jobs in a playoff series I have ever seen.

No excuse. Toronto and Indiana both got swept, but seemed to put up a decent fight compared to this.

That game we won looked like a purpose gift after all the commotion about the NBA being weak (which it is)

Brad has literally no answer defensively and has not adjusted at all.

No reason should the Celtics get roasted at home like this 3 times in one series.

Like other posters wrote, Boston did win one game whether it was charity or not. Neither Toronto or Indiana won anything.

I thought it might be a good idea to examine Cleveland's roster before we start blaming Brad.

Lebron James - Perennial MVP candidate - He has won multiple NBA Championships and participated in even more NBA Championship Finals. Add to this, lately there's been a lot of comparison talk about him and Michael Jordan for GOAT.

Who did Brad have on the roster that came remotely close to matching a player of his talent and physique?
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html

Kryie Irving - who on the Celtics consistently matches up with him? Isaiah? He was injured or not playing...Are we going to blame Brad for that?
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1820/kyrie-irving

Kevin Love: In previous years he was one of the CB's most coveted players. Who, on the Celtics roster would you covet as much if they played on another team?
If you witnessed games in the 80's we know that stopping a 6'9" player who can hit 3's is nearly impossible. Remember Larry Bird? 

Kyle Korver - one the best 3 point shooters in the history of the NBA. Who does he match up against? Jerebko, Crowder, Smart? Even if he wasn't hitting or getting a lot of minutes you couldn't slack off of him.

JR Smith...another impossible player to stop when he's hot.

Deron Williams - Did he look washed up? He was a 3x All Star and 2x All NBA Team. Played like an All Star in a number of games. Isn't he a second unit player?
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willide01.html
Are we going to compare him to Terry Rozier?

Channing Frye - every time I watched him he was hitting outside shots. He's a reserve who plays a lot better with All Star teammates. Over the past 4 years he's hitting over 50% of his 2's.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/fryech01.html

Derrick Williams - a top NBA pick.
Seemed everything he threw up went in even in garbage time.

Tristan Thompson- who rebounds better than him on the C's?
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thomptr01.html

Richard Jefferson - one tough player. It sure didn't look like he's aged. Boston's answer to him? Jordan Mickey?

All this talent on the Cleveland team and Brad Stevens gets the blame for Boston's poor performance. Or, gets the blame because the team didn't play as well as the other teams did against Cleveland. I don't agree at all. Cleveland simply has much better talent from top to bottom.

For once I'm not blaming Danny or Brad. Cleveland made some great moves during the season and the off season. Fortunately for them, they were able to make some of these transactions because these better players wanted to play along side LeBron.