Author Topic: Embarrassment by Brad Stevens  (Read 12801 times)

Re: Embarrassment by Brad Stevens
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2017, 05:17:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Its not Stevens fault that our players brick wide open shots, miss free throws, give turnovers
At some point, it IS the coach's fault when he can't call stuff that works.
Yeah but there's a nice middle ground between Stevens is perfect and this was one of the worst coaching performances ever
Stevens isn't perfect. He isn't horrible either, but this was most definitely one of the worst coaching performances I've seen in recent memory.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Its not Stevens fault that our players brick wide open shots, miss free throws, give turnovers
If the play he calls results in a wide open shot for a guy who generally shoots that type of shot well but that guy misses it, that's the player's fault not the coach's.
That's not how it is, however. If the play calling is for open jumpers (which it is) you're going to live and die by how hot your shooters are. The fact that you have nothing you can dial up for an easy basket is an issue, and it's not a mark of a good coach.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2017, 05:35:26 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
I do find it disturbing that Stevens seems to have pretty set ways on the types of players he wants to coach : no rim protectors, please, which disqualifies Bill Russell types. And no Mr Nasties.
There is zero evidence so far that this is anything but fiction.

we will see soon enough!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »

Offline JohnP

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I am not reading all this thread because its stupid but you tell me genius what would you have done?  Every Celtics player, opposing playing, and opposing coaches have nothing but the highest praise for Stevens but again what would they know.  The Celtics have over achieved every year because of their coach.  Who you gonna get better?  If they made a change Stevens would have a job tomorrow.  Some of you fans are F'N idiots.  Its fine that they delete this post because of that last sentence but some of you all need to hear it.

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

agreed but he needs to hammer home about playing smart and not stupid ball. so far his philosphy has shown me he is not worroed about a dominant big down low who can help his outside game when they have woes.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I am not reading all this thread because its stupid but you tell me genius what would you have done?  Every Celtics player, opposing playing, and opposing coaches have nothing but the highest praise for Stevens but again what would they know.  The Celtics have over achieved every year because of their coach.  Who you gonna get better?  If they made a change Stevens would have a job tomorrow.  Some of you fans are F'N idiots.  Its fine that they delete this post because of that last sentence but some of you all need to hear it.
Read the thread. Or some other threads, for that matter.

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If the play he calls results in a wide open shot for a guy who generally shoots that type of shot well but that guy misses it, that's the player's fault not the coach's.
That's not how it is, however. If the play calling is for open jumpers (which it is) you're going to live and die by how hot your shooters are. The fact that you have nothing you can dial up for an easy basket is an issue, and it's not a mark of a good coach.
Wow.  I mean, wow!  The level of ignorance in this post is astronomical.  Here's how Lue draws up a play to get an easy shot.  Give it to Lebron.  If that doesn't work, give it to Kyrie.  And if that doesn't work, give it too Love.

The fact that the Celts don't get many easy shots IS a problem.  But it's a player problem, not a coaching one.  This is the Nba and you're not going to scheme or outsmart teams.  And you can't expect the coach to call a play every time down. 

Man, sometimes I think post like these cant be serious.  But I guess they are.

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2017, 05:59:38 PM »

Offline JohnP

• Xavier Tillman

Dont need to read more.  The subject says all i need.

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2017, 06:01:27 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72

Its funny right? you see what I am saying. Another post to prove my point. Another fan who takes it to heart and then goes on a tangent.

I will say it again, as a fan IMO , the experience of this ECF was like a joke.

Being made fun off. Nobody taking the Celtics serious. Not even a chance. It was a joke.

Brad failed at home. They had 0 chance at home. In Boston, one of the toughest places to play. I guess not anymore.

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2017, 06:07:33 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

ROFL.........u just made his point for him. congrats!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Everybody in here going to a different route than the topic at hand

I am not discussing how good of a coach Brad is or what he has done

im talking about this series and how we looked like complete losers.

At home we could not even give them a scare. How sad is that.

They got destroyed today.

I dont care If we got a game, Toronto and Indiana who did not even win one game both were much better at looking like they at least cared but were overmatched.

We just kept on getting annhiliated until Lebron and company looked at it as a complete joke.

When they were serious we had completely no answer.

I do blame that on Brad, its like the team quit, I watched Indiana and Toronto , they were beaten but it looked like an NBA game

This looked like Cleveland played the Orlando Magic

I was at both Games 2 and 5.  I was screaming at Brad to put in the guys who were going to play hard. 

I think his biggest weakness as a coach is that he is a great tactician and very positive leader who seems really likable but is not a motivator.  He is not Pat Riley, and likely never will be anything close to that.

For example, Game 3 turned when he put in Jerebko, who gave the team some nastiness and much need effort on defense and the boards.  Maybe the tactics worked as well (he spread the floor and hit some threes) but it was that element that helped spur the team to victory.  I don't think Brad's analytical mind values these unquantifiable traits as highly.  I don't think Kendrick Perkins would touch the floor on Brad's teams.

When Kyrie got it going in Game 4, or any of the Cavs when to the rack in Game 5, where was the enforcer to say "not here, not in our buidling?"  How about just a hard body check, like Jerebko's screen on Deron Williams in Game 3?  Where was Brad telling a player to hack someone, flagrant be [dang]ed?  Maybe he said that but they sure as hell didn't do it. 

Maybe that changes next year with more athleticism, but I need to know why this team felt it was OK to let Cleveland paste them at home without one guy getting thrown out of the game.

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2017, 06:11:11 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
If this topic was about coaching. I would tell people , I am a big Brad Stevens fan. I think he is a top 5 coach in this league easy.

But this is about this series and how I think he didn't do all he could to make this team be competitive. I understand losing IT, even though we got murdered with him (yes he was a bit injured) .

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »

Offline JohnP

• Xavier Tillman

ROFL.........u just made his point for him. congrats!

So decided to read them all and found 1 post on what could have been done different on the court...i am sure if the person who posted it would have coached we would have won.  I mean everyone on the Celticsblog knows more then the Stevens right?

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Everybody in here going to a different route than the topic at hand

I am not discussing how good of a coach Brad is or what he has done

im talking about this series and how we looked like complete losers.

At home we could not even give them a scare. How sad is that.

They got destroyed today.

I dont care If we got a game, Toronto and Indiana who did not even win one game both were much better at looking like they at least cared but were overmatched.

We just kept on getting annhiliated until Lebron and company looked at it as a complete joke.

When they were serious we had completely no answer.

I do blame that on Brad, its like the team quit, I watched Indiana and Toronto , they were beaten but it looked like an NBA game

This looked like Cleveland played the Orlando Magic

I was at both Games 2 and 5.  I was screaming at Brad to put in the guys who were going to play hard. 

I think his biggest weakness as a coach is that he is a great tactician and very positive leader who seems really likable but is not a motivator.  He is not Pat Riley, and likely never will be anything close to that.

For example, Game 3 turned when he put in Jerebko, who gave the team some nastiness and much need effort on defense and the boards.  Maybe the tactics worked as well (he spread the floor and hit some threes) but it was that element that helped spur the team to victory.  I don't think Brad's analytical mind values these unquantifiable traits as highly.  I don't think Kendrick Perkins would touch the floor on Brad's teams.

When Kyrie got it going in Game 4, or any of the Cavs when to the rack in Game 5, where was the enforcer to say "not here, not in our buidling?"  How about just a hard body check, like Jerebko's screen on Deron Williams in Game 3?  Where was Brad telling a player to hack someone, flagrant be [dang]ed?  Maybe he said that but they sure as hell didn't do it. 

Maybe that changes next year with more athleticism, but I need to know why this team felt it was OK to let Cleveland paste them at home without one guy getting thrown out of the game.

great points
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2017, 06:16:23 PM »

Offline JohnP

• Xavier Tillman
If this topic was about coaching. I would tell people , I am a big Brad Stevens fan. I think he is a top 5 coach in this league easy.

But this is about this series and how I think he didn't do all he could to make this team be competitive. I understand losing IT, even though we got murdered with him (yes he was a bit injured) .

Again what do you want him to do?  You think he can just run play after to play to get layups?  Jesus look at the rosters.  We are playing against arguably one of the top 5 players to ever play and their 2nd and 3rd best players are better than anyone we have on the court.