Author Topic: 2017 NBA Draft Thread  (Read 95687 times)

Re: 2017 NBA Draft Thread
« Reply #570 on: June 23, 2017, 12:49:54 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
So, Terry Rozier is gone with the Kareem Allen pick? ;-)

Kadeem Allen is gone with the Kadeem Allen pick :)

our 1st couple of picks were great.  I don't know about this one.  Are picks like this made because we owed some agent a favor or something?  Motley would have at least been a solid pick.  He was a good player in the big12

They probably think he'll be a positive force as a glue guy in summer league and in the G League. What's more important, allowing Jaylen and Jayson to develop as best as possible or taking a flier on someone who's not making the team?

how is taking a better player hurting Jaylen and Jayson's development?  I don't think that has one bit of impact on who we select.

The "better player" might be more concerned with shining himself rather than fitting in. It's the 53rd pick. Simply picking a character guy who won't interfere in the development of important pieces (include guys like Semi and DJax in Maine) is important.

There's also the reality that it is impossible to look at tape of every one of the thousands playing D1 NCAA or big time Euro ball.  I would guess that once you get into the 40s in the second round, teams are relying a lot on recommendations from friends, associates, ex-coaches, etc.  Or you take a flier on some guy who caught the GMs eye while he was flipping through games some random off day.

Mike

« Reply #571 on: June 23, 2017, 12:57:08 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Wooooow. Apparently Jackson canceled a workout for the C's after they flew out to Sacramento to see him.

Danny Ainge said he never spoke to the Josh Jackson, acknowledged he was mad about flying out to Sacramento only for JJ to cancel workout.

Josh Jackson canceled his workout with the Celtics after their Brad's flew out to Sacramento to meet with him. Ainge was upset.

Wow, Ainge, Mike Zarren, and Brad Stevens flew across the country to workout Josh Jackson only to have him cancel and refuse to workout

Yeah, I'm pretty glad we went with Tatum over this guy. He clearly has some character concerns. Tatum, on the other hand, seems very, very mature and humble already.

Good grief.  On the one hand, you shouldn't let emotions cloud your decision making.  On the other hand, that is a massive red flag.  Not so much for Jackson, because he's just a kid, but for the kind of people with which he's surrounded himself.  What sort of parent/agent/advisor let's you get away with that?

Mike

« Reply #572 on: June 23, 2017, 12:59:21 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Josh Jackson is a punk. I can't wait to see Jaylen and Jayson destroy him.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #573 on: June 23, 2017, 01:00:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Wooooow. Apparently Jackson canceled a workout for the C's after they flew out to Sacramento to see him.

Danny Ainge said he never spoke to the Josh Jackson, acknowledged he was mad about flying out to Sacramento only for JJ to cancel workout.

Josh Jackson canceled his workout with the Celtics after their Brad's flew out to Sacramento to meet with him. Ainge was upset.

Wow, Ainge, Mike Zarren, and Brad Stevens flew across the country to workout Josh Jackson only to have him cancel and refuse to workout

Yeah, I'm pretty glad we went with Tatum over this guy. He clearly has some character concerns. Tatum, on the other hand, seems very, very mature and humble already.

Good grief.  On the one hand, you shouldn't let emotions cloud your decision making.  On the other hand, that is a massive red flag.  Not so much for Jackson, because he's just a kid, but for the kind of people with which he's surrounded himself.  What sort of parent/agent/advisor let's you get away with that?

Mike

The same agent that convinced Donatas Motiejunas to hold out for months, not show up for physicals, and finally sign a minimum-salary deal.

« Reply #574 on: June 23, 2017, 01:01:22 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Mike

The same agent that convinced Donatas Motiejunas to hold out for months, not show up for physicals, and finally sign a minimum-salary deal.

Jeez. This guy's straight up committing malpractice.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #575 on: June 23, 2017, 01:12:27 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Danny says he would've taken Jayson at #1. I think that's a load of BS, but whatever.

Dickey V would have taken Tatum #1  ;)

NBA Draft No. 1 Pick: Why Dick Vitale Picks Jayson Tatum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVkNPBZCNV0

« Reply #576 on: June 23, 2017, 01:14:04 AM »

Offline Draft XIV

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
I not going to see the draft because i have to go to study, but my mind is going to be in this forum, i only expect the best for our team, i trust in Danny, Go Celtics!

Man.. I wish I could have the dedication like you to study at times like this.

Good thing my classes are over for this week and Finals not until next week  ;D

I had no choice. :laugh:

I'm happy with the pick, Tatum is going to be very good player, hope he stays.

« Reply #577 on: June 23, 2017, 01:17:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Mike

Jeez. This guy's straight up committing malpractice.

He (former Bulls G BJ Armstrong) also got Bismayck Biyombo a very fat contract last summer, so he's not completely incompetent.

« Reply #578 on: June 23, 2017, 01:22:53 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Loved the Tatum pick, loved the Ojele pick, honestly liked the Allen pick a decent amount and it feels silly complaining about the #57 pick, but who the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. is jabari bird.

I watched his DX video and they use his numbers from the 13-14 season. What's up with that?

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #579 on: June 23, 2017, 01:32:45 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Sorry, I just saw this new meme and I thought I had to share because is funny.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #580 on: June 23, 2017, 01:47:00 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I guess that this is too late, but prior to us trading the first pick, I was hoping for this (and am already laughing at how wrong I was in regards to the draft position of most of these guys, if they were even drafted at all, lol ;D/):

Trade #1 – move the first overall selection to the Kings for Sacramento’s picks at 5, 10, and 34.

Trade #2 – send Al Horford to Minnesota for the contract of Nikola “Not Tesla” Pekovic, Jordan Hill, who is then waived before his deal becomes guaranteed, and the 7th pick.

Trade #3 – move the recently acquired 7th selection to the Blazers for Portland’s picks at 15 and 20.

Trade #4 – with the Reggie Jackson experiment having become an abject failure, and if the reports about the Pistons looking to move the 12th pick for an established veteran, are true, who better to lead them than Isaiah Thomas, especially with Detroit moving to a new arena? 

Trade #5 – move Avery Bradley to the Thunder for the 21st pick.  He’d be a great fit on both ends of the floor next to Westbrook, in my view, and enables them to have a much better guard rotation, I would think, of Westbrook and Bradley starting with Oladipo coming off the bench.

Trade #6 – if Terry Rozier really was the sticking point in the proposed Ibaka trade at the deadline, surely he can fetch Orlando’s picks at 33 and 35, even with the Magic being under new management, right?  I’d like to think that that transaction could get done fairly easily, even though, again, I’m probably wrong.

Trade #7 – if reports were true about how Philadelphia was looking to move their second rounders with their primary weakness, injuries notwithstanding, being defense from the guard positions, who better to provide that than Marcus Smart and, to a lesser extent, Jae Crowder (for 36 and 39, btw)? 

5.  Jonathan Isaac.

10.  Justin Patton.

12.  Dwayne Bacon.

15.  Jawun Evans.

20.  Semi Ojeleye.

21.  Wesley Iwundu.

33.  Nigel Hayes.

34.  Deonte Burton.

35.  Jacob Wiley.

36.  Malcolm Hill.

37.  Moses Kingsley.

39.  Peter Jok.

53.  Xavier Rathan-Mayes.

56.  Antonius Cleveland.

Undrafted free agents: Bronson Koenig.

Ahahahaha ;D.

« Reply #581 on: June 23, 2017, 01:50:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Loved the Tatum pick, loved the Ojele pick, honestly liked the Allen pick a decent amount and it feels silly complaining about the #57 pick, but who the **** is jabari bird.

I watched his DX video and they use his numbers from the 13-14 season. What's up with that?
He's a friend of Jaylen's I think. Played together at Cal.

Other than that I know next to nothing about him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #582 on: June 23, 2017, 01:54:25 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I guess that this is too late, but prior to us trading the first pick, I was hoping for this (and am already laughing at how wrong I was in regards to the draft position of most of these guys, if they were even drafted at all, lol ;D/):

Trade #1 – move the first overall selection to the Kings for Sacramento’s picks at 5, 10, and 34.

Trade #2 – send Al Horford to Minnesota for the contract of Nikola “Not Tesla” Pekovic, Jordan Hill, who is then waived before his deal becomes guaranteed, and the 7th pick.

Trade #3 – move the recently acquired 7th selection to the Blazers for Portland’s picks at 15 and 20.

Trade #4 – with the Reggie Jackson experiment having become an abject failure, and if the reports about the Pistons looking to move the 12th pick for an established veteran, are true, who better to lead them than Isaiah Thomas, especially with Detroit moving to a new arena? 

Trade #5 – move Avery Bradley to the Thunder for the 21st pick.  He’d be a great fit on both ends of the floor next to Westbrook, in my view, and enables them to have a much better guard rotation, I would think, of Westbrook and Bradley starting with Oladipo coming off the bench.

Trade #6 – if Terry Rozier really was the sticking point in the proposed Ibaka trade at the deadline, surely he can fetch Orlando’s picks at 33 and 35, even with the Magic being under new management, right?  I’d like to think that that transaction could get done fairly easily, even though, again, I’m probably wrong.

Trade #7 – if reports were true about how Philadelphia was looking to move their second rounders with their primary weakness, injuries notwithstanding, being defense from the guard positions, who better to provide that than Marcus Smart and, to a lesser extent, Jae Crowder (for 36 and 39, btw)? 

5.  Jonathan Isaac.

10.  Justin Patton.

12.  Dwayne Bacon.

15.  Jawun Evans.

20.  Semi Ojeleye.

21.  Wesley Iwundu.

33.  Nigel Hayes.

34.  Deonte Burton.

35.  Jacob Wiley.

36.  Malcolm Hill.

37.  Moses Kingsley.

39.  Peter Jok.

56.  Antonius Cleveland.

Ahahahaha ;D.
Whatever the record for draft picks by a single team is, this would certainly double it.

Also, are we trading every single rotation player for draft picks in this scenario? Holy cow!

Edit: ah no, we would be keeping Jaylen Brown.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #583 on: June 23, 2017, 04:55:25 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

5.  Jonathan Isaac.

10.  Justin Patton.

12.  Dwayne Bacon.

15.  Jawun Evans.

20.  Semi Ojeleye.

21.  Wesley Iwundu.

33.  Nigel Hayes.

34.  Deonte Burton.

35.  Jacob Wiley.

36.  Malcolm Hill.

37.  Moses Kingsley.

39.  Peter Jok.

56.  Antonius Cleveland.

Ahahahaha ;D.
Whatever the record for draft picks by a single team is, this would certainly double it.

Also, are we trading every single rotation player for draft picks in this scenario? Holy cow!

Edit: ah no, we would be keeping Jaylen Brown.

I only mentioned the trades for draft picks, but I would deal Brown for Caris LeVert straight up and Yabu and Demetrius Jackson for Jarrod Uthoff, as well, if we're going down that road.  That's it, though, my one fell swoop rebuild, lol ;D.

Not sure what to do with Zizic as of right now, however.

« Reply #584 on: June 23, 2017, 05:23:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Did we just draft a bigger Jae Crowder? Nice!

Yep, Jae Crowder is exactly what I thought.  I really like this pick (for a player I learned existed yesterday!)

...so what's the catch?  6'7" great athletes who can shoot and defend don't last until the second round.

Honestly asking because I didn't study this far down the draft board.  Why is he still available?

Because he is kind of like crowder.... Bulky. Lacks a way to separate from defenders at times.  6'10 wingspan is not the best vs height.   Not a great rebounder , nor passer. But good at boxing out

He is really like a carbon copy of Jae...but at 6'7 with more explosiveness....  He will fit in nicely

Guys, I hate to rain on your parade, here, but Semi Ojeleye IS NOTHING LIKE JAE CROWDER.  Not even close, imo.