Author Topic: Does Lonzo Ball have a promise from Lakers?  (Read 2726 times)

Does Lonzo Ball have a promise from Lakers?
« on: May 25, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
As crazy as Lavar sounds sometimes, he appears to operate in a way to attempt to maximize his son's abilities and earnings from those abilities.

Sure he wants his son to play for the Lakers for obvious reasons, but would he really be willing to not have his son workout for ANY team other than the Lakers without a promise?

If LA does not take him (or trades the pick to another team who does not take him), Lonzo could potentially drop below Josh Jackson, Jayson Tatum and Deaaron Fox (but probably no further) if he's refused to work out for teams and those players has excellent work outs (especially in light of Fox dominating him in the NCAAs), and could get stuck playing in Sacramento.  Although they may not sell anywhere, the Zo2 shoes certainly will not be selling by the masses at $495 a pop in Sactown nor get as much national attention playing for that dysfunctional org.   So would Lonzo really spurn working out for Boston and Philly (and maybe even PHX) without any kind of promise or inkling that his son is going 2?

Furthermore, check out video when Lavar is asked about Magic and if he's spoken to him.  He seems to take a different tone - almost as if he has something he cannot say.

If all of this is true, we need to try to see if we can fleece the Lakers like the 49ers did with the Bears.  Convince LAL that we are considering trading the #1 to Philly or to Sacramento or whoever so we can take Tatum or Jackson, and make them give up an asset along with the #2 to take Ball #1.

Lonzo is the perfect fit for the new era Showtime Fakers, so let's make them pay up to get him.

Re: Does Lonzo Ball have a promise from Lakers?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 02:36:31 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
who knows.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 02:42:09 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
so if Ball does become really good .......could you imagine trying to work a DEAL with him and his FATHER when contract time coes up,?   what a nightmare or whining , crying , moaning , ......so if you draft him.......he' ll pack his bags for LA when he becomes a free agent .   He is too much controled by his father .  the ts obvious he will do his fathers bidding.

its a no win situation for Boston drafting that kid .....nothing but trouble , he ll leave in a heartbeat .

like trying to make a woman love you and marry you that has zero interest in marriage.   its just bound to turn sour.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
LaVarr is desperate to make sure Lonzo goes to LA so he can mooch off of his son's marketing money.

If Lonzo is truly going to be a superstar, the marketing $ would be a sure thing anyways - but if he's not, then Lavarr needs that LA money/hype to keep him afloat.

Lonzo is apparently too weak-willed to see as much, and is willing to hurt his career prospects in order to please his money-grubbing loudmouth father.

I am glad he is not going to be our problem.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 03:28:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Fultz wasn't so obviously the #1 pick or if #1 picks weren't so difficult to obtain, I would love to draft Ball and have him play last Rozier's role from this past season...or better yet, D. Jackson's role.

It is petty and destructive, but that is how much I don't want this to work out for the Lakers/Ball. The best case scenario would be the Lakers passing on him.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:39:48 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
I don't wish the kid any ill, but part of me would like to see the Lakers go in another direction just to discourage this type of behavior in the future.  I don't really like it when a draftee or his family/agent tries to strong-arm his way to the franchise of his choice. 

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 03:41:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Lonzo is apparently too weak-willed to see as much, and is willing to hurt his career prospects in order to please his money-grubbing loudmouth father.
The kid is still a teenager, cut him some slack.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 04:15:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Convince LAL that we are considering trading the #1 to Philly or to Sacramento or whoever so we can take Tatum or Jackson, and make them give up an asset along with the #2 to take Ball #1.

Uh ... Danny should only do this sort of shenanigans if he is absolutely, 100% certain what the other team is going to do.

Despite all the noise that Lavar Ball and fans and media have made, I've seen not a peep from Magic Johnson that would confirm that he would take Ball at #1 if he had that pick.

Magic would probably be content to call Danny's bluff rather than trade him any sort of significant payment just to move up one slot.   He's already guaranteed getting Ball or Fultz.

Danny's not stupid.  Unless he trades the pick for a home-run trade (i.e., a fantasy Anthony Davis type trade) he's just going to use the pick to take the guy he wants.  And that is almost certainly Fultz.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Nah.

I hope he learns and changes his ways. But this is a red flag, I would be terrified of drafting him if I were the Lakers. There is a huge chance for dysfunction there.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Nah.

I hope he learns and changes his ways. But this is a red flag, I would be terrified of drafting him if I were the Lakers. There is a huge chance for dysfunction there.
I don't think it's a red flag that a 19-year-old kid is listening to his dad too much. It IS a red flag however that his dad appears to be a complete loon.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 05:04:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
It wouldn't be too smart to give Ball a promise unless he would be your number one pick. Danny could decide to pick someone other than Fultz and then The Lakers have Fultz fall into there laps but can't take him because of a promise. It doesn't make a whole of sense to give a pick a promise.

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Fans making WAY too much about dad and in every way.  I don't think teams care one way or the other about dad and would not hesitate to draft ball if they thought he was the best player.  And fans hating on lonzo and hoping for failure because of his dad?  Grow up already.  He's 19 years old and shouldn't be expected to disown his dad.

Finally, and most importantly, dad is a go getter.  He maybe a nut looney but he determined.  I find he guy fascinating.  And yeah, either he'll be exposed as a complete lunatic or brilliant.  We'll see how it turns out.

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 05:13:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i believe these promises often have conditions attached to them. such as IF you are available, and IF so and so is not, then....

oh, and here is an interesting articles about such promises.

http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2006/06/legality-of-oral-promises-by-nba-gms.html
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 05:22:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why would the Lakers give a promise?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 05:24:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I'm so excited about us getting fultz I could care less about that guy with the ugly jump shot