Author Topic: Could Hayward Take A 500K Pay-Cut, Or Would That Affect His "Max" Badly?  (Read 3628 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Like, we all know that Hayward could sign here with the traditional max.

But say, Hayward took a 500k paycut to come to Boston.

Would that mean he doesn't get the traditional max and would that just mess up everything for both sides regarding contracts/terms? Can someone with cap logic please explain this a bit more.

I just think it's kind of ridiculous how we may have to trade away one of Bradley/Smart/Crowder JUST to make up for, what I'm reading as, being short of 500K to sign Hayward (even AFTER trading away Rozier apparently).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
This is if we renounce KO and trade Rozier right? I thought the noises coming out were that would be enough because the roster charge will only apply to 12 spots not 13?

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
This is if we renounce KO and trade Rozier right? I thought the noises coming out were that would be enough because the roster charge will only apply to 12 spots not 13?

Apparently others have said we'd be like $200-300K short at "best case scenario"

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Ainge isn't stupid. If he wants to make a run at Hayward, he already has a plan in place to get the room. It's not like he'll be in his office trying to make the #s work a month from now.

What's going to hurt is that if he does land Hayward, it's going to cost some of us our favorite player.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Ainge isn't stupid. If he wants to make a run at Hayward, he already has a plan in place to get the room. It's not like he'll be in his office trying to make the #s work a month from now.

What's going to hurt is that if he does land Hayward, it's going to cost some of us our favorite player.

Yeah unfortunately one of our favorite players is probably leaving.

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Who's saying we have to get rid of Rozier? As a guy making only 5 million the next two years combined, we should be keeping him. It's Smart, Thomas, or Bradley that are not signed for 2018-2019 that they should consider trading, since the chances are low we can't re-sign all three.

The thing is, Hayward is already going to be making less if he comes here because Utah can offer more money. I don't know if it's worth it to nickel-and-dime him. Besides, there are only so many minutes to go around. It's nice to have depth, but eventually those bench guys want minutes/more money and they'll leave anyway. You can't keep everyone forever.

Every team eventually pays their stars and uses what's left over to try and construct a bench. You can do that by drafting well (since rookies are on fixed, underpaid deals), signing cheap FAs, or signing vets who are usually close to past their prime willing to take a discount to win.

I don't know what numbers you are looking at, but they're still going to need money to sign a PF. If they sign Hayward chances are Olynyk is gone and I don't think they would want Johnson back anyway. So the 500,000 or so you are asking Hayward to give up is probably not enough. I don't think the Celtics would be wise to have so many rookies, talented or not, being their primary bench options.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
When LeBron and Bosh joined Wade and the Heat, they all took a little less than the max.  Not just so they could join forces, but I believe part of the pitch was so they could keep key players like Udonis Haslem.

I'm sure a pitch could be made for Hayward (or whoever) to do the same.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If we renounce Klynyk and Stash Yabu and trade Rozier, are we still short?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
When LeBron and Bosh joined Wade and the Heat, they all took a little less than the max.  Not just so they could join forces, but I believe part of the pitch was so they could keep key players like Udonis Haslem.

I'm sure a pitch could be made for Hayward (or whoever) to do the same.
i was thinking about the same thing the other day, all of them having around 14-16 mil per year.
I thought that the "pay cut" should have started with Horford, and it didn't which is a big deal to me. The next in line is Isaiah, who IMHO will have near max offers, but I would love for him to sign a 85 mil 4 year deal and set the tone. Isaiah is a great player, a superstar BUT he will not get us over the top, not when in the playoffs, every team is basing their offense and defense on him and doing it to perfection.
And to answer the OP's thread subject, that would be insane if the reason of him not signing here would be like: Hayward: " yeah, I will go to Dallas(or whatever) because they can offer me 500k more" so i don't think that will be the case.
If he wants to sign here, he also need to take a "large" pay cut, like 100 4 year, because I don't see us having 3 near max players and a decent roster around them, and I think that guys around the league know that if they want to get around a dynasty like Cleveland and Warriors, they are going to have to make some sacrifices.

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If we renounce Klynyk and Stash Yabu and trade Rozier, are we still short?
Yep, just a bit short. If we want to offer Hayward a 4-year max, we have to trade away one more guaranteed contract.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:13:26 PM by Jvalin »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
Sorry, but if you can get a guy like Hayward and all you have to do is renounce KO and trade Crowder
I'll personally drive Crowder to Dallas or Orlando or Detroit

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Hayward would already be walking away from more money in Utah and people expect him to take a further cut to play on a comparable team? We aren't GS.

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Sorry, but if you can get a guy like Hayward and all you have to do is renounce KO and trade Crowder
Well sure, but the thing is if we decide to trade Crowder/AB/IT what can we take back? I wouldn't want us to just dump one of these guys for salary relief. Crowder is on a bargain contract for 3 more years. AB and IT are gonna hit free agency next year. Do we trade them now, do we resign them or do we just let them walk? These are all big decisions that Danny has to think about before deciding how to proceed with Hayward (assuming Hayward wants to sign here).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:28:32 PM by Jvalin »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
Well sure, but the thing is if we decide to trade Crowder/AB/IT what can we take back? I wouldn't want us to just dump one of these guys for salary relief.

If worse comes to worse, yes, dump him for salary. Essentially you're trading Crowder for Hayward

Look at Cleveland. It's taken them a year or two, but they managed basically 4 max contract guys, and yet they've still got guys like JR and Korver.

Build an attractive top heavy roster, and the veteran ring chasers come.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Well sure, but the thing is if we decide to trade Crowder/AB/IT what can we take back? I wouldn't want us to just dump one of these guys for salary relief.

If worse comes to worse, yes, dump him for salary. Essentially you're trading Crowder for Hayward

Look at Cleveland. It's taken them a year or two, but they managed basically 4 max contract guys, and yet they've still got guys like JR and Korver.

Build an attractive top heavy roster, and the veteran ring chasers come.

I'm not sure you understand how the cap works. The Cavs currently have Kevin Love at $21.1M, Irving at $17.6M, and Thompson for $15.3M. The Warriors are in a similar situation with Draymond and Klay. All of these guys are signed through 2019 or 2020 so we will have to wait it out until they actually are making real max salaries and the luxury tax is too much for them to bear.

As a comparison, Horford made $26.5M this year (will make $27.7M next year) and Hayward is set to make $30.3M next year. It only gets worse for the Cs the year after with IT/AB/Smart set to make more money than any of those listed above (maybe not Smart).

Basically, the term max contract is a very loose term and a player like Crowder is almost untradeable from Danny's perspective if we plan on signing Hayward and keeping IT. It also means that he will personally drive AB to the airport.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:02:29 PM by jambr380 »