Author Topic: Ainge on Toucher & Rich (draft workouts)  (Read 9475 times)

Re: Ainge on Toucher & Rich (draft workouts)
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 11:21:22 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Maybe Ainge has a move planned out that will net the Celtics another mid 1st and provide more cap flexibility to go after a Hayward or Blake.  AB in a trade perhaps.[/b] 

Or he is just checking out all the possibilities in case a good trade in the mid rounds come up.

This is what I was thinking. Mid to late lotto sounds about right for an AB trade. Actually, Minnesota at 7 would be really interesting. AB would be an excellebt fit between Rubio and Wiggins, and if they traded Rubio then he should work well with Dunn, too.

Not sure AB can draw the number 7 pick by himself, though. Would people add Yab to it if necessary? I'd be ecstatic to add Fultz AND someone like Monk or Isaac to this team. Fultz and Monk make a devastating offensive pairing going forward.

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
- Giles, Monk, and Leaf will workout for the C's today at White Plains, NY

- Ball has told Ainge he will NOT workout for the C's prior to the draft

Interesting they are working out Giles and Leaf who would seem more mid-first picks.
I'd be cool with trading all our seconds to move up and take a shot at Giles.
I'm assuming Monk is due diligence? Unless he's planning on trading down (which I pry not) Fultz has got to be the pick.

Definitely due diligence.  Although Giles seems like someone who could go anywhere from 10 to 35 this year (like Deyonta Davis last year), so due diligence could be as much to have knowledge if a guy falls as it could be to trade up.

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I would trade #37 and 2018 Celtics #1 to move back into the 1st round to draft Giles, Ferguson or Kennard. I think Ainge can get 2 first round picks out of this draft with all his assets. Draft is too deep not to try and get another value pick.
Problem is, draft picks have cap holds and we need 30+ million in cap space to offer Hayward a 4-year max. If we acquire another pick it would be more difficult for us to go after Hayward.

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Maybe Ainge has a move planned out that will net the Celtics another mid 1st and provide more cap flexibility to go after a Hayward or Blake.  AB in a trade perhaps.[/b] 

Or he is just checking out all the possibilities in case a good trade in the mid rounds come up.

This is what I was thinking. Mid to late lotto sounds about right for an AB trade. Actually, Minnesota at 7 would be really interesting. AB would be an excellebt fit between Rubio and Wiggins, and if they traded Rubio then he should work well with Dunn, too.

Not sure AB can draw the number 7 pick by himself, though. Would people add Yab to it if necessary? I'd be ecstatic to add Fultz AND someone like Monk or Isaac to this team. Fultz and Monk make a devastating offensive pairing going forward.
Yabu doesn't move the needle at all.  There's a pretty good chance he never plays in the NBA.

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

AB landing #7 as an expiring seems exceedingly unlikely.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ive heard that Harry Giles is one of the stupidest basketball players of all time.

Supposedly the reason he couldnt get on the court at duke was because he didnt grasp their defense AT ALL.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 11:59:05 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

AB landing #7 as an expiring seems exceedingly unlikely.
You arent getting #7 with AB as the centerpiece of your deal.

ALthough, I was surprised to see how cheap the #8 pick went last year, so who knows?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ainge is going to draft Fultz, so it doesn't make much difference what Ball says. But the Lakers better pick him, because he doesn't look so good to the rest of the league right now in terms of his character makeup.

But you know this has been done before in drafts, and players get their way. That's how the Lakers got Kobe. Bryant said he only wanted to play for the Lakers. He forced a draft trade to the Lakers, who picked him. They then signed Shaq as a FA, and presto, a few championships. And in the NFL draft , Eli Manning said the Giants, not the Chargers. So the Chargers got Leaf, the Giants got Eli and made out like bandits.

The dynamics are different in the current NBA draft, because Fultz pretty much stands on his own. This is a valuable pick, and I wonder what Danny is going to be offered for it.

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 12:06:01 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Wow Ainge really shut down Jackie Mac's rumor of IT being shopped for a lottery pick last offseason.
Ainge:
  "Why would I trade away our best player for a lottery pick when we already have 8 picks AND we are trying to sign Kevin Durant and Al Horford? It makes zero sense."

He seemed pretty angry about that one. I wonder how much of this is protecting his relationship with Isaiah and acting slighty upset about such a rumor.

Good talk, TP for the notification it was out...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:12:08 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
People post nonsense to fit their own agenda.

Fultz is a point guard who can be a combo guard because he has good size and is a great shooter. But he's a very good distributor of the ball, has good court vision, and a great handle.

He's a point guard, just as much as Fox is. Just because he's a great shooter and Fox isn't doesn't make him any less of a point guard.

Fox is a defensive point guard. Fultz is an offensive point guard--the type that can become an all star. If a kid doesn't have a shot at the college level, chances are he'll never be a great shooter. Fultz is just a gifted player. He brings the ball up and creates. He's a point guard.

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
Wow Ainge really shut down Jackie Mac's rumor of IT being shopped for a lottery pick last offseason.
Ainge: "Why would I trade away our best player for a lottery pick when we already have 8 picks AND we are trying to sign Kevin Durant and Al Horford?

It makes zero sense.
He seemed pretty angry about that one. I wonder how much of this is protecting his relationship with Isaiah and acting slighty upset about such a rumor.

Fake news is rampant in the sports media, because sources aren't identified. It's easy for a writer to create something to have impact and get attention. On the other hand, Danny is entitled to some privacy--especially in potential deals that don't happen. There are players involved who have feelings and loyalties. Players are mentioned in deals all the time that don't happen. You have to deny this kind of stuff.

I think it's clear this is the year Ainge has to get off the pot and get this team to the next level.
He can start by drafting Fultz. I would forget about the rest of the draft. Focus next on FAs and trades. There are a lot of mediocre players, mainly up front, that need to be unloaded or traded. I think IT might be expendable if they can sign another scorer like Hayward. They also need one or two bigs who can bang. Take the pressure off Horford up front.

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Ainge: "Why would I trade away our best player for a lottery pick when we already have 8 picks AND we are trying to sign Kevin Durant and Al Horford?

It makes zero sense.

Fake news is rampant in the sports media, because sources aren't identified. It's easy for a writer to create something to have impact and get attention. On the other hand, Danny is entitled to some privacy--especially in potential deals that don't happen. There are players involved who have feelings and loyalties. Players are mentioned in deals all the time that don't happen. You have to deny this kind of stuff.

I think it's clear this is the year Ainge has to get off the pot and get this team to the next level.
He can start by drafting Fultz. I would forget about the rest of the draft. Focus next on FAs and trades. There are a lot of mediocre players, mainly up front, that need to be unloaded or traded. I think IT might be expendable if they can sign another scorer like Hayward. They also need one or two bigs who can bang. Take the pressure off Horford up front.

Jackie Mac is a newspaper dinosaur hack. 

She has no incentive to tell the truth, her only objective is get clicks, and at this point in her career, she's too long in the tooth to do anything other than sensationalize. 

Seriously has she ever broken the game down like Zack Lowe or Kevin OConnor? 
When was the last time she wrote something with substance?   

Her job is to repeat gossip and restate the obvious for Globe readers who don't follow the NBA. 

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ainge:
  "Why would I trade away our best player for a lottery pick when we already have 8 picks AND we are trying to sign Kevin Durant and Al Horford? It makes zero sense."

I thought there was only one team Ainge would talk to because of IT and that was Philly for Simmons at number one. It was best player in the draft for IT or the story was bogus, IMO. I am not surprised to see Ainge shoot down the story, especially with logic.

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2017, 12:42:34 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Back on topic....

I don't get why folks think we can jettison IT but still lure Gordon Hayward from the Jazz.  He's not coming here to play with a bunch of rookies...

Seems to me we are looking at a fork in the road.

1-  draft Fultz, extend our own guys & pass on this class of B-grade max FA's.  Make Fultz beat out AB and IT to earn a starting job.  Retain bench chemistry and build-from-within culture.

2-  trade Fultz/Amir/Crowder for a vet who can score 25ppg.  Renounce all the FA and use the space to add Hayward and create a contending big 4 around (IT, GH, Horford, and whomever we trade Fultz for)

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
as i read through the thread and the back and forth on pg versus sg, it made me scratch my head.

CBS doesnt use these categories in his offensive schemes, so why the debate? fultz will become a ball handler under CBS' schemes.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva