Author Topic: Draft Fultz, trade IT  (Read 6426 times)

Re: Draft Fultz, trade IT
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 08:27:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
incredibly dumb article.

Fantasy sports dumb!

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 09:11:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I will take yalls word for it, and not read the article. Definitely dont want to get dumbed down. Already feel dumber clicking on the thread.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 10:17:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I will take yalls word for it, and not read the article. Definitely dont want to get dumbed down. Already feel dumber clicking on the thread.

Yeah, reading through this thread has convinced me not to click on the thread.

As far as trading IT, matching salaries would be pretty easy if we are trading for a player on a rookie scale contract. The problem with that is Hayward might see that as a backwards move and want to remain with Utah. That player would have to have real potential.

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 10:40:31 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I actually like the article. His mistake is thinking that IT alone cold fetch George. Otherwise it reminds me of my plan from the optimistic offseason thread.

Draft Fultz. Trade IT, Bradley, Crowder, and a non-BRK 1st to Indiana for George rental. Renounce all free agents, including Kelly. Sign Mlllsap.

Smart, Rozier
Brown, Fultz
George
Millsap, Yabusele
Horford, Zizic

Fill up the other spots with minimum vets.

Not sure how realistic it is, but I'm pretty sure it'd work under the CBA. If George leaves, we still have next year's Brooklyn pick to work with, didn't ultimately give up much for the rental. And we could just shift Brown to SF and start Fultz from then on. We'd be leaning on the kids in the backcourt seemingly, but something tells me that Brown and Fultz are going to be able to fill big shoes right off the bat. Anyway, how about the defense we'd have, eh? Edit: Impervious to switching. Height, length, strength, and mobility up and down the lineup. The Millsap/Horford combo wouldn't have to carry a team, would be complements to George. Well-balanced scoring but still have a primary in George, for one year at least, before either Brown or Fultz would have to take over. I think Brown could win Most Improved in that context and Fultz could maybe be a dual ROY/SMOY candidate. (We're supposed to be optimistic, right, lol?) Smart might average 10+ assists.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Also dumber for having read that.

So what do we expect to get in return for IT?  Horford?  AB?

If we're trading IT, we're a lottery team.  Full on blow-up sounds great.   

Trading IT doesn't equal lottery. Just like losing IT didn't equal a loss in Game 3.

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 03:11:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Trading IT doesn't equal lottery. Just like losing IT didn't equal a loss in Game 3.

We also fell down by 21 points.

We wouldn't be guaranteed to miss the playoffs, but we wouldn't be guaranteed to make them, either. And of course, a team not guaranteed to make the playoffs isn't going to attract a top free agent like Hayward.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 03:33:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

One. Game. Proves. Nothing.

Of all the vapid nonsense on this board, that article ranks right near the top.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 03:36:42 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
If we can  trade IT for Butler or George and add Fultz, I am not sure that makes us worse, just not really any better.  We still lose in the conference finals at best.  I don't see that type of trade happening in any case anyway.  I could see us trading IT for a high ceiling young player (Myles Turner was a good example) but I can't see a team wanting to trade a high ceiling young player for IT.  I realize that if we don't trade IT, we risk losing him as a FA for nothing but I don't see a realistic alternative.

I am not that worried that trading IT would cause the team to regress in the near term if it is a step towards a better team in the medium term.  I just don't see how a trade matches up.

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 03:52:13 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
LOL~ 

Cracks me up.... Everyone that wants to trade IT and Everyone that does not believe they are right.....

No one knows.  Its like paying interest on a loan you have not gotten yet.    Its possible "both" trade/not to trade would play out perfectly.   

I can see arguments.   I have seen teams do better when an All Star was traded and replaced with a younger player.    Either way I'm excited at our options. 

And one thing that is 100% true is Danny Anige will trade IT if the price is right.....

Trading PP and KG was hard too, but ended up the right thing to do.   IT is one man, little man.  But if someone is willing to over pay then look him in the eye and pray its a win win and there is no hard feelings.   Its the name on the front. 

The way we are competing in the play offs is a small sample.  Do we have any regular season stats?   I know the last two years or year IT didn't show up in the playoffs.   Who knows. 

I'm not sold on Fultz as being Gods gift to us... But I'd hate to miss on him.   Its going to be real hard to sign IT with a history of play off duds and injuries to convince me to stay over bradley and smart.....  Put all the cards on the table and lets see. 
Diggles

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 03:52:33 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
And of course, a team not guaranteed to make the playoffs isn't going to attract a top free agent like Hayward.

Well, what if we could trade for George first?

Draft Fultz. Trade IT, Bradley, Crowder, and a non-BRK 1st to Indiana for George rental. Renounce all free agents, including Kelly. Sign Mlllsap.

Smart, Rozier
Brown, Fultz
George
Millsap, Yabusele
Horford, Zizic

If we used George as a PF...

Smart, Rozier
Brown, Fultz
Hayward
George, Yabusele
Horford, Zizic

I wouldn't feel as good about that lineup's rebounding and defense as the Millsap one, but it's still very good. In that scenario we've said goodbye to IT (and Bradley and Crowder) and we're...better, no? Overall?

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The nonsense about trading IT is that we have to take ~6M back in salary.  What the heck are we going to get that is any good for that?
You do not have to take back any salary if the team you are trading him to has cap space.  There will be tons of teams that have that much open cap this summer.  Same goes for the C's they would be able to trade him to another team and take back a lot more salary into their open cap space if they wanted this summer.

What team with cap space will be interested in trading for a veteran starting point guard who is on the last year of his contract?   And what do they have to offer in return?

This drives me nuts about these sorts of threads and articles.   No one should ever  say with 100% certainty that Isaiah (or any player) won't/can't/shouldn't be traded.   But saying that he should be / has to be /must be traded is just as ridiculous unless you present an actual deal to assess.

Same with threads that talk about trading the #1 pick.  It doesn't mean anything to argue about whether Danny should or should not trade _any_ player or asset unless we know that price we are arguing around.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
And of course, a team not guaranteed to make the playoffs isn't going to attract a top free agent like Hayward.

Smart, Rozier
Brown, Fultz
George
Millsap, Yabusele
Horford, Zizic

Smart, Rozier
Brown, Fultz
Hayward
George, Yabusele
Horford, Zizic

I wouldn't feel as good about that lineup's rebounding and defense as the Millsap one, but it's still very good. In that scenario we've said goodbye to IT (and Bradley and Crowder) and we're...better, no? Overall?

Why on earth would IND want to do such a trade?  They end up with IT, Turner and journeymen role players?   And then IT possibly leaves them in free agency?

The only reason IND would be interested in trading for IT4 is if they could add him to Paul George and Miles Turner in order to try to convince PG to stay.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 04:42:15 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I didn't like the article. I'm all for trading IT if there was some miracle All Star level big man available. But I don't see why that is.

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 04:44:52 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I didn't like the article. I'm all for trading IT if there was some miracle All Star level big man available. But I don't see why that is.
melo

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Smart, Rozier
Brown, Fultz
George
Millsap, Yabusele
Horford, Zizic

Smart, Rozier
Brown, Fultz
Hayward
George, Yabusele
Horford, Zizic

Why on earth would IND want to do such a trade?  They end up with IT, Turner and journeymen role players?   And then IT possibly leaves them in free agency?

The only reason IND would be interested in trading for IT4 is if they could add him to Paul George and Miles Turner in order to try to convince PG to stay.

Because they know he won't stay, even if they added an IT? Because he's going to walk on them in a year and leave them nothing? Because they would have a better chance of convincing Isaiah to stay?