Author Topic: Idea - Trading IT to the Pacers  (Read 8244 times)

Re: Idea - Trading IT to the Pacers
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 08:59:32 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
This trade helps both teams short and long term I feel.  Yes, trading IT in the East might hurt us short term but long term will work in this trade. 

Celtics Trade
Isaiah Thomas
Tyler Zeller
Jordan Mickey
Boston 2018 1st
Boston 2019 1st

Pacers Trade
Myles Turner
Monta Ellis

Celtics get a great young center in Turner.  Yes, the Pacers don't want to give up Turner as a young star but they might be willing to part with him for another star to put next to George.  In hope they can keep George but if he leaves they can sign Thomas and have money to bring on someone, plus have 2 first round picks.  If I'm the Celtics I'm not giving up the Brooklyn pick next year cause had good big talent. 

Celtics are able to draft Fultz this year.  Sign Hayward to a max or close to it deal.  Plus give extensions to both Bradley and Smart.  You try to trade Monta Ellis if possible or keep him as a veteran bench scorer and trade Rozier for a young bench player.

Center - Turner
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Hayward
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Center - Zizic
Power Forward - Yabusele
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Brown
Point Guard - Fultz

Point Guard - Terry Rozier
Shooting Guard - Monta Ellis
If we trade away Zeller and take back guaranteed salaries (Monta), we can no longer go after Hayward.

TP for the idea though! I would really like us to trade for Turner!

My idea for a Turner trade would be

IT + Memphis 2019 first + rights to Zizic for Turner

Not sure Indy has any interest in this, but I guess it's worth a try.

You would have the money because you're trading IT and Mickey which salary are equal to just not keeping Zeller.  Yes you take on Ellis contact so you'd have to figure out how to structure the deal but still can sign a max.
No we wouldn't. Assuming we do the following

- trade Jackson, Rozier for future pick(s)/salary relief
- renounce Kelly, Zeller
- let Amir, Jerebko, Green, Young walk
- decline team option on Mickey
- stash Yabu in China/Europe/the D-League/whatever

...we would still be a little bit short of the 7-9 year vet max.

Trading away IT saves us $6,261,394.
Trading away Zeller saves us nothing cause we would have to release him anyway. Same thing goes for Mickey.
Monta is on a $11,227,000 contract for 2017-2018.
Turner will be on the books for $2,483,040.
Not to mention you have Yabu as our backup PF as well (picks have cap holds).

By the way we couldn't extend Bradley - Smart either. If we sign Hayward we won't have enough cap space for anything else, so contract extensions will be out of the question.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:17:23 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 10:38:54 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Is IT enough to convince PG to stay long-term? If not, then he's just a band-aid and there's no guarantee he'd even stay in Indy long term after next season, so any deal that involves them giving up Myles Turner has to net them something good in the instance they lose BOTH Paul and Isaiah after 1 season.

This deal as structured (Isaiah on an expiring deal, 2 scrubs, and 2 late first round picks) likely isn't worth the risk for them. Maybe if you add Jaylen in place of the 2019 pick, they'd kick the tires.

Sounds like a plan - our 2nd Team All-NBA guard and our top 3 lottery pick from last year who is showing loads of potential for Myles freakin' Turner.

I like Turner, but I think you are overrating him a bit...or a lot.

Sounds like you're overrating Jaylen.

Myles just turned 21 years old and has flashed potential of his own. A big man who started all games he played in last year (81 games) logging over 30 mins on a playoff team, who's shown he can be a rim protector (2.1 blocks per game last year) and has given a glimpse of 3 pt shooting ability. We're talking about a big that can already play on both ends and stretch the floor, and is in the infancy of his development.

I know people love Jaylen around here and I like him too but come on. Yes, top 3 pick. Woohoo. At this point, only one of them looks like they can be a future all-star. You've got to get value to get value. Indiana should not give up a potential cornerstone for what may end up being a 1 year rental of Isaiah.
It would be foolish to trade Jaylen Brown now, especially given how much better he will get in the off-season.
You like Myles Turner? I never really heard of him. He was drafted #11 so he can't be that good. :'(

I wouldn't take Turner straight up for Jaylen. Turner may become a good big man but Jaylen has star potential and  Jaylen is better than Turner right now.

That might be the most green-tinted glasses thing I've read. Took numbers from both of their seasons. In what way is Jaylen better than Myles right now?

http://bkref.com/tiny/c974Q
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
This trade helps both teams short and long term I feel.  Yes, trading IT in the East might hurt us short term but long term will work in this trade. 

Celtics Trade
Isaiah Thomas
Tyler Zeller
Jordan Mickey
Boston 2018 1st
Boston 2019 1st

Pacers Trade
Myles Turner
Monta Ellis

Celtics get a great young center in Turner.  Yes, the Pacers don't want to give up Turner as a young star but they might be willing to part with him for another star to put next to George.  In hope they can keep George but if he leaves they can sign Thomas and have money to bring on someone, plus have 2 first round picks.  If I'm the Celtics I'm not giving up the Brooklyn pick next year cause had good big talent. 

Celtics are able to draft Fultz this year.  Sign Hayward to a max or close to it deal.  Plus give extensions to both Bradley and Smart.  You try to trade Monta Ellis if possible or keep him as a veteran bench scorer and trade Rozier for a young bench player.

Center - Turner
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Hayward
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Center - Zizic
Power Forward - Yabusele
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Brown
Point Guard - Fultz

If we trade away Zeller and take back guaranteed salaries (Monta), we can no longer go after Hayward.

You would have the money because you're trading IT and Mickey which salary are equal to just not keeping Zeller.  Yes you take on Ellis contact so you'd have to figure out how to structure the deal but still can sign a max.

- renounce Kelly, Zeller

Trading away Zeller saves us nothing cause we would have to release him anyway. Same thing goes for Mickey.

By the way we couldn't extend Bradley - Smart either. If we sign Hayward we won't have enough cap space for anything else, so contract extensions will be out of the question.

You can make it work but it would be real tight and not the best idea.  So the trade I'd be waiting is to simply trade Thomas for Turner.  We'd have to give up a couple draft picks for sure.  But I'm thinking if we trade the 18 Brooklyn pick and the 19 Celtics first this could work.  The Pacers get a star to put next to George in hope to keep him,  we get the young big and actually use the last Brooklyn pick to get its a need.  Then the ability to sign Hayward and be our number 1 option, resign both Smart, Bradley and KO. 

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Why on earth would IND trade for Thomas unless it was to combine him WITH Paul George AND Miles Turner?

This idea makes zero sense.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Celtics Trade
Isaiah Thomas
Tyler Zeller
Jordan Mickey
Boston 2018 1st
Boston 2019 1st

Pacers Trade
Myles Turner
Monta Ellis

Center - Turner
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Hayward
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Center - Zizic
Power Forward - Yabusele
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Brown
Point Guard - Fultz

- renounce Kelly, Zeller

You can make it work but it would be real tight and not the best idea.  So the trade I'd be waiting is to simply trade Thomas for Turner.  We'd have to give up a couple draft picks for sure.  But I'm thinking if we trade the 18 Brooklyn pick and the 19 Celtics first this could work.  The Pacers get a star to put next to George in hope to keep him,  we get the young big and actually use the last Brooklyn pick to get its a need.  Then the ability to sign Hayward and be our number 1 option, resign both Smart, Bradley and KO.
Again, you cannot make it work. It's not even close.

Here is a look of what our payroll would look like after the trade :

Horford - $27,734,405
Bradley - $8,808,989
Crowder - $6,796,117
Brown - $4,956,480
Smart - $4,538,019
Rozier - $1,988,520
Turner - $2,483,040
Monta - $11,227,000
cap hold for Fultz (#1) : $7,026,240
cap hold for Yabusele (#16) : $2,247,480
cap hold for Zizic (#23) : $1,645,200

That's a total of $79,451,490 for 11 players.

Teams are assessed a $815,615 roster charge for each open spot below 12 players.

$79,451,490 + $815,615 = $80,267,105

The latest salary cap projection has the cap at $101,000,000.

$101,000,000 - $80,267,105 = $20,732,895 available in cap space

The max contract for 7-year vets starts at 30% of the cap.

101,000,000 x 30% = $30,300,000

20,732,895 - 30,300,000 = -9,567,105

That is $9,567,105 short of Hayward's max!!!!

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I love Turner, but if he cost us Hayward and made us take Monta "Net Negative" Ellis for $11 million, then that is a no from me dog

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 05:55:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If George is gone, they'd be in a full-on rebuild.  Turner would be much more valuable to them than IT in that case. 

I hope IT is traded to a team in the East, though, so this growing pro-trade IT camp can see what it's like to be on the other side of the little guy.

after listening to Danny on that radio show .  IT is a Celtic hero,  a new legend in DA eyes .  He near trade his son off
than  IT.    IT is Dannys creation , unless somebody is offering the world ,   id pretty say talking about trading IT is a waste of time and breath . 

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I love Turner, but if he cost us Hayward and made us take Monta "Net Negative" Ellis for $11 million, then that is a no from me dog
I'd let Hayward go. A core of Fultz, Jaylen, Turner, 2018 BKN pick is really a special team. If that did happen then I'd trade the rest of Horford, AB, Smart, Crowder and get another good young player. We own our own 2018 pick plus the BKN 2018 pick, so we could end up having 2 top picks in that draft to go along with: Fultz, Jaylen, Turner, whoever we get from Al/AB/Smart.

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 06:18:20 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If George is gone, they'd be in a full-on rebuild.  Turner would be much more valuable to them than IT in that case. 

I hope IT is traded to a team in the East, though, so this growing pro-trade IT camp can see what it's like to be on the other side of the little guy.

after listening to Danny on that radio show .  IT is a Celtic hero,  a new legend in DA eyes .  He near trade his son off
than  IT.    IT is Dannys creation , unless somebody is offering the world ,   id pretty say talking about trading IT is a waste of time and breath .
He's telling the truth, but also getting trade value up too hopefully.

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 06:21:20 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
No one trades anything for guys who are recovering for surgery.

You all can revisit the trade IT stuff at the deadline next season.

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 06:41:09 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23

Celtics Trade
Isaiah Thomas
Tyler Zeller
Jordan Mickey
Boston 2018 1st
Boston 2019 1st

Pacers Trade
Myles Turner
Monta Ellis

Center - Turner
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Hayward
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Center - Zizic
Power Forward - Yabusele
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Brown
Point Guard - Fultz

- renounce Kelly, Zeller

Horford - $27,734,405
Bradley - $8,808,989
Crowder - $6,796,117
Brown - $4,956,480
Smart - $4,538,019
Rozier - $1,988,520
Turner - $2,483,040
Monta - $11,227,000

Teams are assessed a $815,615 roster charge for each open spot below 12 players.

I repeat it could be done and be tight.  What I didn't say cause thought you'd let it go.  We could go into the luxury tax with this deal.  Yes, Ainge wouldn't but why I said could be done.  The luxury tax is set at $121,000,000.  So it could be done and keeping KO, to have the 12 man roster minimal. 

But I also said I agree it wouldn't be the best idea but can be done. 

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Celtics Trade
Isaiah Thomas
Tyler Zeller
Jordan Mickey
Boston 2018 1st
Boston 2019 1st

Pacers Trade
Myles Turner
Monta Ellis

Center - Turner
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Hayward
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Center - Zizic
Power Forward - Yabusele
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Brown
Point Guard - Fultz

- renounce Kelly, Zeller

Horford - $27,734,405
Bradley - $8,808,989
Crowder - $6,796,117
Brown - $4,956,480
Smart - $4,538,019
Rozier - $1,988,520
Turner - $2,483,040
Monta - $11,227,000

I repeat it could be done and be tight.  What I didn't say cause thought you'd let it go.  We could go into the luxury tax with this deal.  Yes, Ainge wouldn't but why I said could be done.  The luxury tax is set at $121,000,000.  So it could be done and keeping KO, to have the 12 man roster minimal. 

It has nothing to do with the luxury tax.  If we're not 30M under the projected 101M salary cap with the 12 man roster, we can't give Hayward or Griffin MAX contracts.  A 3rd team with cap space would need to be part of the trade to absorb Ellis' contract.   

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 07:09:14 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Celtics Trade
Isaiah Thomas
Tyler Zeller
Jordan Mickey
Boston 2018 1st
Boston 2019 1st

Pacers Trade
Myles Turner
Monta Ellis

Center - Turner
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Hayward
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Center - Zizic
Power Forward - Yabusele
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Brown
Point Guard - Fultz

- renounce Kelly, Zeller

Horford - $27,734,405
Bradley - $8,808,989
Crowder - $6,796,117
Brown - $4,956,480
Smart - $4,538,019
Rozier - $1,988,520
Turner - $2,483,040
Monta - $11,227,000

This is not how the cap works. Luxury tax has nothing to do with free agency. Anyway, feel free to believe whatever you want. If you think it is possible, who am I to say otherwise?

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2017, 10:18:56 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Much as I hate the idea of trading IT, I have to admit that post-op Isaiah for Turner would be a coup. And I could see the Pacers swinging for it if that's what PG says he wants, even though it's objectively a very poor trade for them.

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Why on earth would IND trade for Thomas unless it was to combine him WITH Paul George AND Miles Turner?

This idea makes zero sense.
This. IT and George alone don't compete for a title or even come close.

I also think a lot of folks here underestimate how good of a season Turner had and how attached to him Indy is.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008