Author Topic: Idea - Trading IT to the Pacers  (Read 8222 times)

Re: Idea - Trading IT to the Pacers
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I thought the idea would have been to essentially trade Thomas for Paul George. Both players have expiring contracts in one year. The Pacers don't know if George will resign, since he wants to play for a team that can contend (which won't be the Lakers). Will the Celtics resign Thomas after just winning the Fultz sweepstakes? Each team trades an all-star for an all-star, and the trade can basically serve as an audition for all the parties involved.

That's not the way it works. Paul George is a perennial all-star and all-NBA team, and also a very capable defender. Isaiah isn't any of them.

Oh, I must have missed Paul George on the All-NBA rosters; I know IT was there. It's great that George gets to be in the same Gatorade commercial throughout the playoffs, but IT has actually been playing in the games (until recently).

I would do a straight up trade for George, but mainly because we are so guard heavy. People are really starting to undervalue IT. Remember how Irving tore us a new one in the 3rd quarter of last night's game? Thomas does that routinely.

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 06:07:49 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I thought the idea would have been to essentially trade Thomas for Paul George. Both players have expiring contracts in one year. The Pacers don't know if George will resign, since he wants to play for a team that can contend (which won't be the Lakers). Will the Celtics resign Thomas after just winning the Fultz sweepstakes? Each team trades an all-star for an all-star, and the trade can basically serve as an audition for all the parties involved.

That's not the way it works. Paul George is a perennial all-star and all-NBA team, and also a very capable defender. Isaiah isn't any of them.

Oh, I must have missed Paul George on the All-NBA rosters; I know IT was there. It's great that George gets to be in the same Gatorade commercial throughout the playoffs, but IT has actually been playing in the games (until recently).

I would do a straight up trade for George, but mainly because we are so guard heavy. People are really starting to undervalue IT. Remember how Irving tore us a new one in the 3rd quarter of last night's game? Thomas does that routinely.
If you believe IT and PG have equal trade value you are living in fantasy land.

George >>>> IT

It's not even close.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The only way you trade IT to the Pacers is for George, period. The leverage we have is that IT is going to re-sign with Boston, while Paul George is good as gone. That's a huge difference even if you feel George is the more valuable player. Then you want to do it while not losing any cap room.

IT/Bradley/Crowder <==> George for example.

Makes George our only FA next summer, and clears room for Hayward and Fultz.

Smart / Fultz / Hayward / George / Horford
bench: Rozier, DJax, Brown, Zizic, Yabusele, FA

EDIT: to be clear, you probably don't do it, because these are people, and it matters that we don't disrespect IT after his borderline MVP-level season.

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
IT was a top-four guard in the NBA this season. The top three? Westbrook, Harden, Curry.

At least when fans were hoping to trade Paul Pierce (with Shawn Livingston and Kirk Hinrich being particularly popular targets) our team sucked. IT just literally carried us to the top of the conference, dropped 53 in the playoffs, and played through a major injury while remaining wildly popular with his teammates.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 06:21:38 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Is IT enough to convince PG to stay long-term? If not, then he's just a band-aid and there's no guarantee he'd even stay in Indy long term after next season, so any deal that involves them giving up Myles Turner has to net them something good in the instance they lose BOTH Paul and Isaiah after 1 season.

This deal as structured (Isaiah on an expiring deal, 2 scrubs, and 2 late first round picks) likely isn't worth the risk for them. Maybe if you add Jaylen in place of the 2019 pick, they'd kick the tires.

Sounds like a plan - our 2nd Team All-NBA guard and our top 3 lottery pick from last year who is showing loads of potential for Myles freakin' Turner.

I like Turner, but I think you are overrating him a bit...or a lot.

Sounds like you're overrating Jaylen.

Myles just turned 21 years old and has flashed potential of his own. A big man who started all games he played in last year (81 games) logging over 30 mins on a playoff team, who's shown he can be a rim protector (2.1 blocks per game last year) and has given a glimpse of 3 pt shooting ability. We're talking about a big that can already play on both ends and stretch the floor, and is in the infancy of his development.

I know people love Jaylen around here and I like him too but come on. Yes, top 3 pick. Woohoo. At this point, only one of them looks like they can be a future all-star. You've got to give value to get value. Indiana should not give up a potential cornerstone for what may end up being a 1 year rental of Isaiah.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:57:28 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 06:43:40 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Is IT enough to convince PG to stay long-term? If not, then he's just a band-aid and there's no guarantee he'd even stay in Indy long term after next season, so any deal that involves them giving up Myles Turner has to net them something good in the instance they lose BOTH Paul and Isaiah after 1 season.

This deal as structured (Isaiah on an expiring deal, 2 scrubs, and 2 late first round picks) likely isn't worth the risk for them. Maybe if you add Jaylen in place of the 2019 pick, they'd kick the tires.

Sounds like a plan - our 2nd Team All-NBA guard and our top 3 lottery pick from last year who is showing loads of potential for Myles freakin' Turner.

Myles just turned 21 years old and has flashed potential of his own. A big man who started all games he played in last year (81 games) logging over 30 mins on a playoff team, who's shown he can be a rim protector (2.1 blocks per game last year) and has given a glimpse of 3 pt shooting ability. We're talking about a big that can already play on both ends and stretch the floor, and is in the infancy of his development.

I know people love Jaylen around here and I like him too but come on. Yes, top 3 pick. Woohoo. At this point, only one of them looks like they can be a future all-star. You've got to get value to get value. Indiana should not give up a potential cornerstone for what may end up being a 1 year rental of Isaiah.
It would be foolish to trade Jaylen Brown now, especially given how much better he will get in the off-season.
You like Myles Turner? I never really heard of him. He was drafted #11 so he can't be that good. :'(

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I know people love Jaylen around here and I like him too but come on. Yes, top 3 pick. Woohoo. At this point, only one of them looks like they can be a future all-star. You've got to get value to get value. Indiana should not give up a potential cornerstone for what may end up being a 1 year rental of Isaiah.
It would be foolish to trade Jaylen Brown now, especially given how much better he will get in the off-season.
You like Myles Turner? I never really heard of him. He was drafted #11 so he can't be that good. :'(
I keep hearing about a Kawhi Leonard guy. Is he any good? Never seen him play but he was drafted #15 so I guess he must be a scrub.

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 07:45:48 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
IT was a top-four guard in the NBA this season. The top three? Westbrook, Harden, Curry.

At least when fans were hoping to trade Paul Pierce (with Shawn Livingston and Kirk Hinrich being particularly popular targets) our team sucked. IT just literally carried us to the top of the conference, dropped 53 in the playoffs, and played through a major injury while remaining wildly popular with his teammates.

I think a lot of people are VASTLY underrating the importance of a genuine go-to scorer. I keep hearing that our ball movement is so much better without him (due to one game and one half) but I just don't see that as a sustainable offensive model without a guy that can create his own shot regularly. All the ball movement in the world couldn't beat out Kyrie going on a tear.

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 07:59:34 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I think a lot of people are VASTLY underrating the importance of a genuine go-to scorer. I keep hearing that our ball movement is so much better without him (due to one game and one half) but I just don't see that as a sustainable offensive model without a guy that can create his own shot regularly. All the ball movement in the world couldn't beat out Kyrie going on a tear.

Maybe so, but most scenarios in which IT leaves also have us adding 2-3 of those. If you move IT for George, sign Hayward and draft Fultz, and Brown also develops we're not exactly dropping in "go-to" options.

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 08:01:32 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
The closest that Myles Turner gets to Boston is the postcard I am going to send him of Fenway Park. He's the one player the Pacers want to keep.  Sorry Charlie, no tuna!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
I really don't think anyone is trading for injured IT. I'm not for trading him anyway but who's trading for a 5'9" point guard who may have to have surgery and is hurt in the off season. Who couldn't trade him realistically until the deadline and only if he came back at full strength. Then a team would be trading for a couple of month rental on IT. IT's trade value is low right now...

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 08:19:35 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Maybe so, but most scenarios in which IT leaves also have us adding 2-3 of those. If you move IT for George, sign Hayward and draft Fultz, and Brown also develops we're not exactly dropping in "go-to" options.

I don't see how trading our best player aids us in signing Hayward, and we would ideally like to add more quality scorers, not replace some with others.

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 08:24:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148

I wouldn't take Turner straight up for Jaylen. Turner may become a good big man but Jaylen has star potential and  Jaylen is better than Turner right now.

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 08:31:20 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
This trade helps both teams short and long term I feel.  Yes, trading IT in the East might hurt us short term but long term will work in this trade. 

Celtics Trade
Isaiah Thomas
Tyler Zeller
Jordan Mickey
Boston 2018 1st
Boston 2019 1st

Pacers Trade
Myles Turner
Monta Ellis

Celtics get a great young center in Turner.  Yes, the Pacers don't want to give up Turner as a young star but they might be willing to part with him for another star to put next to George.  In hope they can keep George but if he leaves they can sign Thomas and have money to bring on someone, plus have 2 first round picks.  If I'm the Celtics I'm not giving up the Brooklyn pick next year cause had good big talent. 

Celtics are able to draft Fultz this year.  Sign Hayward to a max or close to it deal.  Plus give extensions to both Bradley and Smart.  You try to trade Monta Ellis if possible or keep him as a veteran bench scorer and trade Rozier for a young bench player.

Center - Turner
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Hayward
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Center - Zizic
Power Forward - Yabusele
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Brown
Point Guard - Fultz

Point Guard - Terry Rozier
Shooting Guard - Monta Ellis
If we trade away Zeller and take back guaranteed salaries (Monta), we can no longer go after Hayward.

TP for the idea though! I would really like us to trade for Turner!

My idea for a Turner trade would be

IT + Memphis 2019 first + rights to Zizic for Turner

Not sure Indy has any interest in this, but I guess it's worth a try.

You would have the money because you're trading IT and Mickey which salary are equal to just not keeping Zeller.  Yes you take on Ellis contact so you'd have to figure out how to structure the deal but still can sign a max.

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 08:53:36 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Hayward is not signing with Boston if IT is traded.  So the proposal is essentially trading IT + 2 likely lottery picks for Myles Turner + salary dump (under contract for 2 more years).  These just keep getting better.  Glad we have a new thread for each IT trade proposal. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:00:29 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC