Author Topic: Idea - Trading IT to the Pacers  (Read 8301 times)

Idea - Trading IT to the Pacers
« on: May 24, 2017, 04:22:20 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
This trade helps both teams short and long term I feel.  Yes, trading IT in the East might hurt us short term but long term will work in this trade. 

Celtics Trade
Isaiah Thomas
Tyler Zeller
Jordan Mickey
Boston 2018 1st
Boston 2019 1st

Pacers Trade
Myles Turner
Monta Ellis

Celtics get a great young center in Turner.  Yes, the Pacers don't want to give up Turner as a young star but they might be willing to part with him for another star to put next to George.  In hope they can keep George but if he leaves they can sign Thomas and have money to bring on someone, plus have 2 first round picks.  If I'm the Celtics I'm not giving up the Brooklyn pick next year cause had good big talent. 

Celtics are able to draft Fultz this year.  Sign Hayward to a max or close to it deal.  Plus give extensions to both Bradley and Smart.  You try to trade Monta Ellis if possible or keep him as a veteran bench scorer and trade Rozier for a young bench player.

Center - Turner
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Hayward
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Center - Zizic
Power Forward - Yabusele
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Brown
Point Guard - Fultz

Point Guard - Terry Rozier
Shooting Guard - Monta Ellis

Re: Idea - Trading IT to the Pacers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If you want Turner you are probably giving them 2018 BKLYN pick. He is all they have outside of George.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Well, this is far more interesting than most of the ideas that get posted on here. I don't like the idea of trading IT at all, but Myles Turner would be a great fit with Markelle and Jaylen. Furthermore, this actually seems somewhat plausible, seeing as Indy is desperate to find a way to get PG to stay.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:29:32 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
If you want Turner you are probably giving them 2018 BKLYN pick. He is all they have outside of George.

I have a feeling you would to but figured post it without it.  If I had to give up the 18 Brooklyn I would still.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:30:55 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Generally, I would agree, but the situation with PG makes me think that a deal with IT at the center could actually be realistic.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
Well, this is far more interesting than most of the ideas that get posted on here. I don't like the idea of trading IT at all, but Myles Turner would be a great fit with Markelle and Jaylen. Furthermore, this actually seems somewhat plausible, seeing as Indy is desperate to find a way to get PG to stay.

I know Boston fans love Thomas but we're not going to win with him being the #1 option.  This is a win now move and a win later move.  We stay young with great talent, plus keeps the core we have intact. 

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 04:34:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If George is gone, they'd be in a full-on rebuild.  Turner would be much more valuable to them than IT in that case. 

I hope IT is traded to a team in the East, though, so this growing pro-trade IT camp can see what it's like to be on the other side of the little guy. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 04:35:13 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

I have a feeling you would to but figured post it without it.  If I had to give up the 18 Brooklyn I would still.
The BKN 18 pick is more important for the future of this franchise than the guys we would save after making this trade. I'd include: Bradley, Smart over the 2018 BKN pick

Also, Smart does not start over Fultz lol. And Jaylen is on trajectory to have another huge off-season. So when both come back for training camp they will play their way into the starting lineup. IMO.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 04:54:28 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The basic premise of IT for Turner has been floating around CB for a few months. Some say Boston would never trade an All-NBA player like IT for Turner, while others say that the Pacers would never trade their young big in Turner.

The OP has Boston giving up too much and inexplicably taking back Monta Ellis. Indy's only opportunity at convincing George to stay is to be very competitive next year. Trading Turner for IT would accomplish that. I can see Boston being interested in such a deal, as well, but that would clearly move back the time line of this current group. I am also not sure if you can convince Hayward to sign without IT.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 05:06:52 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
This trade helps both teams short and long term I feel.  Yes, trading IT in the East might hurt us short term but long term will work in this trade. 

Celtics Trade
Isaiah Thomas
Tyler Zeller
Jordan Mickey
Boston 2018 1st
Boston 2019 1st

Pacers Trade
Myles Turner
Monta Ellis

Celtics get a great young center in Turner.  Yes, the Pacers don't want to give up Turner as a young star but they might be willing to part with him for another star to put next to George.  In hope they can keep George but if he leaves they can sign Thomas and have money to bring on someone, plus have 2 first round picks.  If I'm the Celtics I'm not giving up the Brooklyn pick next year cause had good big talent. 

Celtics are able to draft Fultz this year.  Sign Hayward to a max or close to it deal.  Plus give extensions to both Bradley and Smart.  You try to trade Monta Ellis if possible or keep him as a veteran bench scorer and trade Rozier for a young bench player.

Center - Turner
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Hayward
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Smart

Center - Zizic
Power Forward - Yabusele
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Brown
Point Guard - Fultz

Point Guard - Terry Rozier
Shooting Guard - Monta Ellis
If we trade away Zeller and take back guaranteed salaries (Monta), we can no longer go after Hayward.

TP for the idea though! I would really like us to trade for Turner!

My idea for a Turner trade would be

IT + Memphis 2019 first + rights to Zizic for Turner

Not sure Indy has any interest in this, but I guess it's worth a try.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 05:12:00 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I've been like a couple of months saying that our BEST trading partner are the Pacers. They need to win now to convince PG to extend his contract, so they may want to get Isaiah to send a message to Paul George: we are in win-now mode.

However, Isaiah's injury, if as serious as supposed, is a stepback in this possible scenario. My proposal was just a swap of Thomas and Myles Turner some weeks ago.

Now the situation has changed, but my offer would be:

IT, Yabusele's rights and BOS 2018 for Myles Turner. I could even add #37 this year to the offer, as well as any of Mickey-Jackson-Nader if they were interested.

I think it would be beneficial for both parties and still gives us space to sign Hayward as a FA. I don't think he would be disappointed with us to let IT go, because our roster is more balanced with Myles Turner after picking Fultz.

So...TP for the idea to Celtics978Fan

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 05:26:01 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I thought the idea would have been to essentially trade Thomas for Paul George. Both players have expiring contracts in one year. The Pacers don't know if George will resign, since he wants to play for a team that can contend (which won't be the Lakers). Will the Celtics resign Thomas after just winning the Fultz sweepstakes? Each team trades an all-star for an all-star, and the trade can basically serve as an audition for all the parties involved.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Is IT enough to convince PG to stay long-term? If not, then he's just a band-aid and there's no guarantee he'd even stay in Indy long term after next season, so any deal that involves them giving up Myles Turner has to net them something good in the instance they lose BOTH Paul and Isaiah after 1 season.

This deal as structured (Isaiah on an expiring deal, 2 scrubs, and 2 late first round picks) likely isn't worth the risk for them. Maybe if you add Jaylen in place of the 2019 pick, they'd kick the tires.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I thought the idea would have been to essentially trade Thomas for Paul George. Both players have expiring contracts in one year. The Pacers don't know if George will resign, since he wants to play for a team that can contend (which won't be the Lakers). Will the Celtics resign Thomas after just winning the Fultz sweepstakes? Each team trades an all-star for an all-star, and the trade can basically serve as an audition for all the parties involved.

That's not the way it works. Paul George is a perennial all-star and all-NBA team, and also a very capable defender. Isaiah isn't any of them.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Is IT enough to convince PG to stay long-term? If not, then he's just a band-aid and there's no guarantee he'd even stay in Indy long term after next season, so any deal that involves them giving up Myles Turner has to net them something good in the instance they lose BOTH Paul and Isaiah after 1 season.

This deal as structured (Isaiah on an expiring deal, 2 scrubs, and 2 late first round picks) likely isn't worth the risk for them. Maybe if you add Jaylen in place of the 2019 pick, they'd kick the tires.

Sounds like a plan - our 2nd Team All-NBA guard and our top 3 lottery pick from last year who is showing loads of potential for Myles freakin' Turner.

I like Turner, but I think you are overrating him a bit...or a lot.