Author Topic: Boston Celtics Defensive Advance Stats  (Read 3655 times)

Re: Boston Celtics Defensive Advance Stats
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The main point I was trying to make is that Thomas isn't as bad on D as thinks. Our defense was crushed yesterday. JPotter could no longer whine about Thomas's D. It's all good. I understand people are sensitive when it comes to calling out Smart. But it's okay. You don't need to be a baby. Just look at the scoreboard without Thomas. Still can't play D. So let's ignore reality and pretend we have good defenders.
I took your advice.
With Isaiah: 123.5 points against per game
Without Isaiah: 110 point per game.
Cavs against Toronto: 116.25 points per game
Cavs against Indiana: 113.25 points per game

Scoreboard tells me that without Isaiah weve defended better than anyone else in the playoffs and with Thomas weve been the worst.

break it down to home and away and it only gets worse

On the road, Cleveland was averaging just 112.25 points per game prior to playing us
They averaged 123.5 ppg against Cs with Isaiah

At home, Cleveland was averaging  116.75 points a game
Theyve averaged just 110 against Cs sans Isaiah.

So you are correct. A quick look at the scoreboard is rather informative.

Wow good to know. Well I guess this thread is pointless.
not pointless!

the stats I provided are a bit flawed. For example, Thomas only played half of game 2 and I didnt even begin to look at stuff like pace.

Cleveland dominated our defense in the second half and we need to examine why.

Id point to a few things.
1. We are too willing to switch. Kyrie on KO? thats either 2 or 3 points. Kyrie's choice
2. We need to adjust when a player like Kyrie (or Love) gets red hot. These guys are all-stars.
3. Kyrie is one of the most gifted scorers in the league.
4. This team has 0 rim protection
5. overrated defenders? Kyrie did what he wanted against Bradley and Jae Crowder has not been very good on defense this series.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
It's difficult to properly defend, and help defend at the same time on another player. You can't be two places at once.

IT doesn't defend anyone straight up, he needs all the Celtic players on the floor to help with who ever he's defending. This leads to confusing switching, and missed assignments. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:23:27 PM by Rosco917 »

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 11:13:49 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Individual defense based on Synergy. The link is below. For the people who keep blaming Thomas for our bad defense, read it and weep. Smart hasn't been a great defender these playoffs, but I know the Smart lovers will come up with some excuse. Who cares about facts right? 

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/867393433631064064
i'm gonna make a thread about a player i hate too

jae crowder here i come

may have to join u on that! lol
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 12:22:51 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
This is an epic level sample size fail. 15 games against 3 different teams, a couple of which were record-setting blowouts that skew the crap out of everything.

I like advanced stats, but too small of a sample size is pretty much analytics 101. For 15 playoff games you might as well look at +/- or head-to-head player comparisons, as they are easier to read and about as valid.

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 03:54:28 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
TankCity.

Do you believe Isaiah Thomas has defended better than Marcus Smart in the playoffs this year?

thats right. You dont. Because that would be a beyond ridiculous assertion.

Of course I don't. Do you take me for an imbecile? I just knew JPotter would blow up like he usually does at the mention of Smart. The guy is a baby.

Anyways, we haven't been good at D since Thomas has been injured. I think the team as a whole needs to get better at D. I hope my point makes sense now.
Seeing that you have no point other than to troll people -- no, it still doesn't.

Are you being serious? What is your problem? You're such a rude poster. First, you are one of the most boring posters on here. We get it, you're miserable. The Celtics are way better than you had expected they would be after the KG trade. I mean there are so many things you are consistently wrong about it's crazy. So stop trying to start stuff on a board for no reason.

I'm not a troll. CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHY WE HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO PLAY D WITHOUT IT.
Given that you all but admitted that this thread is around because you knew someone was going to blow up... yeah, I think that's what it is.

I think I have already explained it (it's not that hard to see), but let me try once again: Brad S is a horrible defensive coach who plays a defensive scheme barely fit for high school basketball, and he struggles to adjust when it's being torn to shreds (so about all the time). It almost seems that once we no longer need to run the setup in which Isaiah hides in the corner, we have no blasted idea what we're doing.

In addition, players like Crowder and Bradley have been horrible defensively, and there seems to be little accountability being passed around for this (particularly in Crowder's case). The guy had one great season and has either mailed it in, or is being completely exposed.

With this being said, Thomas is still a horrible defensive liability who needs the entire defensive scheme to account for him. To the extent to which our defense has been poor overall, that probably hasn't hurt us much this season (it's all relative)... but it probably will unless you're planning to keep playing poor defense forever.

Flat out wrong. Stevens is a good defensive coach, not the best but he is not as bad as your hate for him runs. Actually forget it, you have 0 credibility regarding Stevens. You have been a hater since god knows when.