Author Topic: Sam Jones/Kyrie Irving  (Read 3116 times)

Sam Jones/Kyrie Irving
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:19:18 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I don't post often, so I'm not sure if this is the best forum.  My apologies, if not...I read a story about Sam Jones, where Bill Russell asked why Sam Jones why he didn't consistently perform at the level of West or Robertson - Russell felt he could.  Jones said he didn't want that kind of responsibility every night.  But when they absolutely needed him, he would step.  I don't know if their games are that similar, but in this sense, is Irving the modern Jones?

Re: Sam Jones/Kyrie Irving
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That sounds like quite an interesting read.

It is definitely worth noting how much Kyrie's performance seems to elevate when there's lots on the line. Last year's finals were a perfect example of that.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:35:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't like that comparison.  I think Irving absolutely could be the guy night in and night out and wouldn't mind that responsibility, but when you play with the best player in the world, you naturally just let him shoulder that burden.  That description of Jones sounds more like Scottie Pippen to me.  Even in the seasons with Jordan, I just never sensed that Pippen wanted to be the man.  He was a great #2 player, but I'm not sure you would want to build a team where you needed Pippen to be the man every single game.  I think you could do that with Irving and be just fine.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I don't like that comparison.  I think Irving absolutely could be the guy night in and night out and wouldn't mind that responsibility, but when you play with the best player in the world, you naturally just let him shoulder that burden.  That description of Jones sounds more like Scottie Pippen to me.  Even in the seasons with Jordan, I just never sensed that Pippen wanted to be the man.  He was a great #2 player, but I'm not sure you would want to build a team where you needed Pippen to be the man every single game.  I think you could do that with Irving and be just fine.

Fair enough and good points all around.  I managed to find article if you or others want to read...
http://grantland.com/features/the-kobe-question/

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:29:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think people forget how bad Irving's teams were before James came to town. He had 3 full seasons and I believe the highest win total was 33. Granted the surrounding cast was pretty awful, but I am just not sure how great he would be being the best player on a team night in and night out. Obviously when he is on, like last night, he was one of the most unstoppable offensive forces in the game. I think it is definitely questionable how good he looks leading a team in night in and night out. Also I believe even though he has gotten better, the Cavs have remained awful in games Kyrie plays and James doesn't the last few years, but don't have the stats handy.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 09:53:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think people forget how bad Irving's teams were before James came to town. He had 3 full seasons and I believe the highest win total was 33. Granted the surrounding cast was pretty awful, but I am just not sure how great he would be being the best player on a team night in and night out. Obviously when he is on, like last night, he was one of the most unstoppable offensive forces in the game. I think it is definitely questionable how good he looks leading a team in night in and night out. Also I believe even though he has gotten better, the Cavs have remained awful in games Kyrie plays and James doesn't the last few years, but don't have the stats handy.
He was also only 19, 20, and 21 years old for those seasons.

If he can stay healthy, when James is ready to pass the torch I think Irving will be a hell of a player as the team's #1 guy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008