Author Topic: Instead of Fultz what about Tatum and Monk?  (Read 16060 times)

Re: Instead of Fultz what about Tatum and Monk?
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2017, 05:28:01 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Monk scored 754 total points . Made 104 threes at 39 percent

Fultz scored 579 total points. Made 52 threes at 41 percent

Monk was a scoring machine last season.

As much I like Fultz , I think Danny will gravitate towards an athlete like Monk more.

Danny also likes players with size that can handle/pass/create 1 on 1 (Tatum)

These two pickups would be decent insurance if Hayward doesnt sign and no trades result...

Thoughts?

You know you're grasping for straws when you cite raw points. For anyone who was misled by this intentionally misleading statistic, Monk played 13 more games than Fultz.
How was Monk able to play 13 more games? You tell me

By not being injured and on a terrible team. I'm guessing that you're suggesting that Monk playing 13 more games somehow supports your narrative that he's even comparable to Fultz, but it's a bit easier to advance in the tournament when your teammates include a top-5 pick and another first-rounder. Frankly, if you actually believe playing 13 more games is a serious credit to Monk, there's no arguing with you.
Kentucky was 2nd in AP preseason rankings, 4th in the coaches poll
Washington was unranked in both.

According to RPI Kentucky was 4th preseason, Washington was 204th.

If we completely ignore any level of context Triboy makes a pretty solid point here.

Pretty sure if Murray & Chriss had stayed another year, a different tune would've been sung about Washington's record.   I don't even have to address the type of teammates that Monk was playing with versus Fultz since that should be pretty self explanatory.

So what was Fultz thinking?

He didnt really believe Murray and Chriss would be back for their soph year did he? 

Players leaving after 1 year of college is a norm

Tell me how much Murray & Chriss were on the radar to be one & done's before the '15-'16 NCAA season when Fultz committed.

This isn't rocket science, Triboy.

So why sign up with a crappy college team with a crappy college coach...and potentially damage his draft status?

He had offers from better schools

In rocket science format explain..

He wasn't a top prospect when he committed to Washington

Markelle Fultz Ranking- Offers

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203881/markelle-fultz

What are you talking about?
Pretty sure RockinRyA was referring to the Washington - Fultz connection that was there before Fultz's Junior year. Washington were high on Fultz back when he was a 5'9" sophomore playing JV. But everyone knows about that story  ;)

Markelle honoured an agreement to go to Washington - why is that a problem?

Well some folks here excuse - reason  washington had a trash season was bc they had an incompetent coach..

They said it. Not me

« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2017, 05:31:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
haha. this is really getting ridiculous.  Think about KG on the T-wolves.  He never won many games there so he must not be a winner.  We shouldn't have traded for him. 

Oh, and David Robinson went to Navy and not a winning basketball college so he must be doo doo.  While Armen Gilliam, Dennis Hopson, and Reggie Williams who were drafted right after him went to bigger basketball schools.  I'd prefer Dennis Hopson and Reggie Williams over the Admiral.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Maybe... But Fultz also could turn out to be Eric Gordon.... while Monk turns out to be a taller IT4.  Tatum - Allan Houston..

In Danny I trust to make the correct pick(s) or trade
If Eric Gordon had never been injured he would be one hell of a player.

But that's the fun of it - none of us have any idea (within reason) how these guys will turn out.

I agree..

But not sure about Gordon (as a top level prospect) . He was healthy before the Clippers traded him..
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:46:17 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2017, 06:49:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
this makes no sense.

So you skip James Harden to take Jeff Green

« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2017, 06:54:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
As much I like Fultz , I think Danny will gravitate towards an athlete like Monk more.

I don't get how people don't think Fultz is athletic, he can dunk from the free throw line.   That is pretty athletic.

Fultz is better at all those things than Tatum

I think we should do the workouts and take whomever Ainge thinks will be the best player after that point.

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2017, 07:41:40 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
this makes no sense.

So you skip James Harden to take Jeff Green

Pretty much this.

« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2017, 10:07:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I can understand the concern about Fultz's ability to carry a team to a winning season.  Players get judged on "empty stats" all the time, and it's valid.

But, you have to compare apples to apples. How many games does Malik Monk or Jayon Tatum win on Washington?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2017, 10:19:40 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
No thanks...take Fultz.

Higher upside & perfect fit.

« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2017, 10:32:17 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Also how the hell are we gonna get both these guys?

you need to outline that plan before this discussion continues. Youve already ignored 2 posters calling for an explanation. Will you make it 3?

1st to 76ers for Saric and Tatum

Saric and Rozier for 5th pick + (Kings)

Does this work for you?
nope.

Saric isnt worth the #5 pick in this draft and Rozier only has marginal value.

Disagree... I can see Sac biting. They need to balance out their roster. Two 1sts ...can play with one

SacTownRoyalty would riot.  There would be blood.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

These two pickups would be decent insurance if Hayward doesnt sign and no trades result...

Thoughts?

You know you're grasping for straws when you cite raw points. For anyone who was misled by this intentionally misleading statistic, Monk played 13 more games than Fultz.

By not being injured and on a terrible team. I'm guessing that you're suggesting that Monk playing 13 more games somehow supports your narrative that he's even comparable to Fultz, but it's a bit easier to advance in the tournament when your teammates include a top-5 pick and another first-rounder. Frankly, if you actually believe playing 13 more games is a serious credit to Monk, there's no arguing with you.

If we completely ignore any level of context Triboy makes a pretty solid point here.

Pretty sure if Murray & Chriss had stayed another year, a different tune would've been sung about Washington's record.   I don't even have to address the type of teammates that Monk was playing with versus Fultz since that should be pretty self explanatory.

He didnt really believe Murray and Chriss would be back for their soph year did he? 

Players leaving after 1 year of college is the norm

Fultz committed really early to the UW program because their staff had shown interest in him starting _way_ back even _before his growth spurt_.    Before he was even on anybody's recruiting radar they saw potential in him and (yes, without breaking any rules) established a relationship that Fultz and his mother trusted. 

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Thoughts?

Tell me how much Murray & Chriss were on the radar to be one & done's before the '15-'16 NCAA season when Fultz committed.

So why sign up with a crappy college team with a crappy college coach...and potentially damage his draft status?

Because he (a) had faith in his own ability to get to the NBA without going to a 'name' basketball program and (b) more important, he is loyal to people who showed faith in him from well before he was a hot recruit prospect.

If anything, if you actually read his story and actually learn something about the kid, it makes you realize just how solid of a character he is.   People who have been involved with him have nothing but glowing praise about his character and work ethic.

« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Thoughts?

Because he (a) had faith in his own ability to get to the NBA without going to a 'name' basketball program and (b) more important, he is loyal to people who showed faith in him from well before he was a hot recruit prospect.

If anything, if you actually read his story and actually learn something about the kid, it makes you realize just how solid of a character he is.   People who have been involved with him have nothing but glowing praise about his character and work ethic.

I had never bothered to look up his story. That makes me like him even more.
TP
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thoughts?

TP

Don't worry. Neither did the OP.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Monk over Fultz makes 0 sense to me.

Tatum over Fultz I can understand, but Fultz seems to be the consensus better prospect.

The way its worded it kinda seems like you are advocating trading down to select both these guys?

Yes for both.
how? Only team with 2 top 10 picks is Sacremento and its unlikely Tatum makes it to 5 and unlikely Monk makes it to 10.

This.

« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2017, 11:36:31 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Thoughts?

TP

Don't worry. Neither did the OP.

TP is all I can say...LOL
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Thoughts?

My thoughts are instead of Tatum and Monk, what about the best player in the draft, Fultz? He is better. Because Celtics do not have a lot of experience picking #! overall does not mean they should act stupid.

This is a one man draft, Fultz is the man. What a gift for the Celtics. You know what they say about gift horses and their mouths?