Author Topic: How is Brad Stevens NOT considered for COTY award  (Read 1891 times)

How is Brad Stevens NOT considered for COTY award
« on: May 24, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I don't get it, how does a 53 win record, a trip to the ECF, not qualify or even be considered for COTY. Am I missing anything?

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/05/07/inaugural-michael-goldberg-nbca-coach-year-award-mike-dantoni-erik-spoelstra

http://www.nba.com/video/2017/05/19/2017-nba-awards-coach-year-nominees

I get Pop, but how did Mike D’Antoni and Erik Spoelstra beat out Stevens! He deserves it so much more than 90% of the coaches mentioned in those articles, but how does he not even get a vote?!?!?!?!

I mean like Spoelstra missed playoffs! seriously?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:29:48 PM by manl_lui »

Re: How is Brad Stevens NOT considered for COTY award
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 12:26:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Stevens doesn't have the media presence of those guys. Also I think his peers feel threatened by him. He's much younger and already a much better coach then any of them.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
This year's race was extremely close, but I can't complain about the selections.

The Celtics performance was actually in line with projections, we were expected to win between 50 & 54 games with the addition of Horford and we did. The fact that Miami was even in contention for a playoff spot was amazing due to the players they lost. Houston also overachieved in a packed Western conference where they were realistically expected to be a 6 or 7 seed, but was 3rd.

Brad's accomplishments were amazing this year... but others were more surprising.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Stevens doesn't have the media presence of those guys. Also I think his peers feel threatened by him. He's much younger and already a much better coach then any of them.
TP. Feel like this might've had a lot to do with it.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
TP. Feel like this might've had a lot to do with it.

perhaps, in my honest opinion, he got robbed this year if any...not taking anything away from Pop at least or maybe even D'Antoni, but some of the coaches on that list certainly raises questions imo

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I can understand Pop. Mike deserves consideration with Houston, made them into a top team in the league again. I can not comprehend Eric getting top 3 though; how does he get so much credit for digging a team out of a hole that he arguably was responsible for? He even missed the playoffs.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:58:39 PM by Denis998 »

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 12:34:22 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I don't get it, how does a 53 win record, a trip to the ECF, not qualify or even be considered for COTY. Am I missing anything?

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/05/07/inaugural-michael-goldberg-nbca-coach-year-award-mike-dantoni-erik-spoelstra

I get Pop, but how did Mike D’Antoni and Erik Spoelstra beat out Stevens! He deserves it so much more than 90% of the coaches mentioned in those articles, but how does he not even get a vote?!?!?!?!

TP for this ^

I have no idea how he can be overlooked for this award.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Because it was much more important that a coach who thoroughly sucked for the first half of the year and then brought his team back to not the playoffs was considered.

I am fine with D'Antoni winning it, though. Houston had a better record than we did and they certainly weren't supposed to. His methodology actually finally worked.

Brad certainly better start being in consideration in future years, though. The only reason we weren't projected to be average is because he overachieved the last two years with even worse rosters. Brad is definitely in the upper echelon of coaches in this league.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Why would he be? He took a 48 win team, added an all-star center, and turned it into a 53 win team. Hardly an earth shattering achievement.

ECF is irrelevant, this is a regular season award.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I think he should be in contention but I can see a good argument for the other coaches winning it or at least being a little more deserving.

He's not gonna win COTY this year but that's okay.  We ALL know how great he is as a coach.

Second best in the league! We are lucky to have him. Another underrated Danny Ainge move.

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Because it was much more important that a coach who thoroughly sucked for the first half of the year and then brought his team back to not the playoffs was considered.

I am fine with D'Antoni winning it, though. Houston had a better record than we did and they certainly weren't supposed to. His methodology actually finally worked.

Brad certainly better start being in consideration in future years, though. The only reason we weren't projected to be average is because he overachieved the last two years with even worse rosters. Brad is definitely in the upper echelon of coaches in this league.

Finally worked?  Obviously the Playoffs aren't factored into the decision for COTY, but isn't this D'Antoni's M.O?  Excellent regular season success with a high powered offense, and then fall flat in the playoffs?  We've seen it time and time again in Phoenix looking unstoppable in the regular season and then wetting the bed in the playoffs.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 01:36:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The COY award usually winds up being the "Team We Misjudged the Most Preseason" award. Houston and Miami exceeded expectations so those coaches get consideration for the award. The Celtics finished about where they were projected to finish.

And Pop is Pop.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Lol no Steve Kerr or Mike Brown? Led the Warriors to a 67-15 record and swept their way to the finals.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)