Author Topic: Challenge - Convince me Clips keep core intact.  (Read 1608 times)

Challenge - Convince me Clips keep core intact.
« on: May 24, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I just don't see it happening.

The first domino to fall may be J.J. Redick, who has a highly coveted skill set, which some team will be willing to pay in the 18-22 mill range for. That salary may be too big a pill to swallow for LA. Anyone who has followed the Clippers closely knows that Redick has been huge, not only in being a clutch shooter on the court, but being a huge glue guy off the court. One possibility is Redick being the central part of a sign and trade to the Knicks for Carmelo Anthony. Although the Knicks are rumored to have interest in Redick, I don't see that as a possibility. Phil Jackson has hurt Melo's trade value, but not to the point where all he can get back is JJ Redick and some low quality assets.

Now the Chris Paul to the Spurs rumors are swirling around. CP3 is known around the league for being someone who places winning above all else. I would think that would be the case even more so this late into his career with his title window becoming more and more narrow. I'd take Popovich, Leonard, and Aldridge over Rivers, Jordan, and Griffin any day, as would most with a functional brain. CP3 is a smart guy, and I think if the Spurs can carve out some space to sign him, that's where he'll go.

Blake Griffin, despite his injury plagued career, will get a mega max deal somewhere. It's true that the Clippers can offer him far and away the most money, but I'm also hearing credible insiders say that he's the most likely of the Clips free agents to play elsewhere next season. The Celtics will go hard after him, and probably present a more compelling oppurtnity to not only rejuvenate his career, but contend for a title in the process.

So here are my predicitions...

J.J. Redick signs an outrageous 5 year/$105 million deal with the 76'ers.

Spurs clear cap space by trading Tony Parker to the Mavericks for a future 2nd rounder. They proceed to sign CP3 to a max deal.

After intriguing pitches from the Clippers, Heat, Lakers, and Mavericks, Blake signs a 5 year max deal with the Celtics.

Next logical step is for Doc Rivers to jump ship. He may stay as the Clippers GM, but he ain't coaching that team.

It comes down to this - some players are perfectly content playing in the warm weather and winning a bit here and there, never reaching the pinnacle. CP3 and Blake don't strike me as those types of guys. They don't want to keep this going, getting inevitably annihilated by the Warriors every year - even if they are making a crap ton of money in the process.

If I am forecasting this accurately, this does not bode well for the Clippers, and pretty much leaves them with Jordan, Crawford, Rivers, and probably the overpaying of mediocre free agents in order to build some semblance of a team.

Re: Challenge - Convince me Clips keep core intact.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:11:04 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
The premises are good, but the Spurs would never trade Parker (unless he plans on retiring), and the Celtics can only offer Blake a 4-year deal.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:11:10 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The Clip will try to keep it intact.

It is not like if they do not sign these guys they would suddenly have cap space and rebuilding material. 

Blow up for nothing?

No.   

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:17:49 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
it seems like no one like playing for Doc anymore. Deandre had a foot out of the door. There have been reports that Redick is going to leave, Speights is likely out of the door. Only reason that cp3 might stay is to get that max deal, as it will likely be his last. Blake is the guy that has least to loose leaving the clippers out of the two; him signing a 4 year deal with a contending team will leave him an opportunity to sign another 4-5 year deal depending on his longevity.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Better for us they keep the core intact or we'll lose their owed 1st round.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Doc Rivers still has a job.  Coach Doc wants to win as much as possible every year, and GM Doc acts in Coach Doc's best short-term interests.  They have no way of replacing lost salary, and Ballmer is willing to pay the luxury tax.  Look for most of that team, perhaps minus Reddick, to return.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 11:35:53 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Honestly, it probably only takes one dominoe to fall for the whole thing to go awry for them.

I think it's a given that JJ signs elsewhere this summer. That seems to be what everyone is expecting. With just that loss, that creates a massive hole at the all-important 2/3 positions that they'll have no good options to fill.

Just that might be enough to make both Griffin and Paul look elsewhere seriously. After getting stomped by GS all four games this year, they have to know that they're nowhere near competing with them, even when fully healthy.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
The Clippers are idiotic. If they were smart they would blow it up now and save 2-3 years of eventual rebuilding. Chris Paul for Saric and 3 is what I would do.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Man I would love to see Chris Paul become a Spur.  That's the perfect place for him.  Tough for them to pay Tony Parker $15 mil to be a backup pg though (they ain't trading him).
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I hope CP3 becomes a Spur and they win it all next year (assuming Boston isn't a contender yet).

I don't know if Blake leaves LA. He seems to fit the culture really well. But stranger things have happened.
- LilRip

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 12:19:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
they are declining IMO instead of getting better.   They look slower than ever as a team. No new blood .   Doc doesn't know how to trade and up grade his team .  Its obvious they are never beating GS , Houston and not the Cavs either.   When Paul leaves ,  they will return to the NBA basement , awaiting Lebron to retire and Cavs join them for next 30 years.

I can' t stand Paul.   I hope he rotts on the Clippers . Like Melo , its only about money , living where he wants at this point .  I think he is over leading a team to,a title without major help.

Another two years and Paul will be floating around seeking a ring with his buddy Lebron .

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
The Clippers have very little control over whether or not they "blow it up."
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers