Author Topic: I really like Smart, but how does this happen?  (Read 8394 times)

Re: I really like Smart, but how does this happen?
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2017, 12:30:15 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Smart is what he is, he'll improve a bit as years go by, but he'll always be a "Junk Yard Dog" that needs to improve his scoring. His value is, he defends 3 positions well, he's the intangibles master, and he's hard nosed. He is the "Junk Yard Dog"

On the flip side of the coin, Marcus will never be that player who asks for a Max deal either, or more money than what he's worth, IMO he'll play his heart out for average NBA money, he'll always be a great addition to a contender.

You either value a player like that, or you don't.

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The finishing around the rim is a big concern. It's been interesting to watch him post up more this season. He has a huge physical advantage against a lot of guards down there but he still rarely is able to create a good shot for himself. He needs to develop his footwork.

And that might be the key. I wouldn't be surprised if better footwork improved his distance shooting as well. But I know for sure that better footwork will improve his balance around the rim and help him finish better.

Maybe IT can hook him up with Kobe for a tutorial.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2017, 02:19:46 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Smart is what he is, he'll improve a bit as years go by, but he'll always be a "Junk Yard Dog" that needs to improve his scoring. His value is, he defends 3 positions well, he's the intangibles master, and he's hard nosed. He is the "Junk Yard Dog"

On the flip side of the coin, Marcus will never be that player who asks for a Max deal either, or more money than what he's worth, IMO he'll play his heart out for average NBA money, he'll always be a great addition to a contender.

THIS^^ - Peoplewill have to start realizing this. He's a DJ clone.

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 02:25:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If only it was Phoenix DJ  ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The thing is, he wasn't a bad finisher in college:

Quote from: nbadraft.net
Strengths: ... Uses his mixture of quickness, strength, instincts, and aggressiveness to get to the rim, then uses his big frame and excellent body control to finish through contact
Bc he played bully ball... He cant do that at the nba level

He needs to slim up without sacrifing strength

That is the only way

Bc teams dont respect his slashing ability. Why should they?

He really needs to slash to open up his game...get to the line and warm up his 3s.

Some of his problems right now is on CBS. For restricting his game to jump shooting

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The kid has heart, he carried us in Game 3, he generally plays great defense, but...

He's an NBA guard shooting 30.5% on 2PT shots in the playoffs. He's shooting 34.5% from within 3 feet of the rim.

I tip my cap to his outside shooting this post-season, but he needs to do better inside the 3PT line.

There are a couple of reasons why I think he struggles finishing in the paint:

1) He is always trying to get the foul call.  Just like he toned down the defensive flops, he will tone this down over time (hopefully).  Then he can focus on making the basket.

2) He picks up his dribble to early.  You will notice that IT keeps his dribble alive almost all the way to the basket.  Again, this is something I think he will work on and get better at over time.

3) I have yet to see him display any ability with the left hand.  I think Rozier is far superior on the off-hand, and IT owns both of them by a mile.

4) He shoots that floater WAY too much for a shot that doesn't go in.  I'd rather he pulled up for a short jumper.

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 06:38:41 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

If only it was Phoenix DJ  ;D

You must have never seen Dennis Johnson play--there is no comparison between DJ and Marcus. 

This is getting to the absurd --Marcus would never ask for more money than he is worth?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:43:52 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2017, 06:56:42 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
The kid has heart, he carried us in Game 3, he generally plays great defense, but...

He's an NBA guard shooting 30.5% on 2PT shots in the playoffs. He's shooting 34.5% from within 3 feet of the rim.

I tip my cap to his outside shooting this post-season, but he needs to do better inside the 3PT line.

Its very easy, "lack of individual talent" at this level to consistently bring it every night.

If the last 2 games have shown us anything, its the lack of talent this Team has. Its not a bad thing, its a fact..

2 Players who should be shown the door by way of upgrade are KO and Crowder..

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2017, 07:01:17 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
all this being said---

I REALLY liked Olynyk starting with Horford....shoulda been done all along maybe.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It is who he is really.  Shooting thus far has not been a strong point.   

Were I him, I would spend less time in the weight room (maintain what he has) and all summer with a shooting coach and maybe a speed coach.
I think we've all conceded this long ago. The question has morphed somewhat into "can he not be historically bad"?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."