Author Topic: I really like Smart, but how does this happen?  (Read 8339 times)

I really like Smart, but how does this happen?
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:39:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The kid has heart, he carried us in Game 3, he generally plays great defense, but...

He's an NBA guard shooting 30.5% on 2PT shots in the playoffs. He's shooting 34.5% from within 3 feet of the rim.

I tip my cap to his outside shooting this post-season, but he needs to do better inside the 3PT line.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: I really like Smart, but how does this happen?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:49:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is who he is really.   Shooting thus far has not been a strong point.   

Were I him, I would spend less time in the weight room (maintain what he has) and all summer with a shooting coach and maybe a speed coach.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:59:10 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It is who he is really.   Shooting thus far has not been a strong point.   

Were I him, I would spend less time in the weight room (maintain what he has) and all summer with a shooting coach and maybe a speed coach.

It really has nothing to do with shooting, though. I have never seen a player so bad at taking the ball to the hoop. He has no balance, no touch, no maneuverability, and he generally is already falling backwards or off to the side before attempting to shoot the ball. He plays with such strength in all other aspects of his game, but every lay-up he takes looks like a prayer.

Two things he should work on are:

Being more confident/direct in his drives - it's okay if he gets blocked, he will never have the touch of IT, but he has a lot more strength.

Occasionally jumping off of two feet if he needs to - this isn't necessarily the best way to take it to the hoop, but we have all seen him throw down a put-back rebound on occasion. I would rather see that ferociousness than the dainty crap he has been throwing up.

I agree with Roy, I really like Smart and would love to see him take that next step, but it isn't going to happen if he tries to play like somebody he isn't.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
His role on the team would change once we have more offensive threats (fultz, FA)
He should be a defensive stopper, shoot a 3 when wide open. That's it.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
The kid has heart, he carried us in Game 3, he generally plays great defense, but...

He's an NBA guard shooting 30.5% on 2PT shots in the playoffs. He's shooting 34.5% from within 3 feet of the rim.

I tip my cap to his outside shooting this post-season, but he needs to do better inside the 3PT line.

no argument from me
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 09:12:46 AM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
For all of Smart's size and strength he is awful at finishing through contact and getting to the rim in general. I believe Smart is who he is at this point, a great defender but awful offensive player.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
His role on the team would change once we have more offensive threats (fultz, FA)
He should be a defensive stopper, shoot a 3 when wide open. That's it.

I agree with this. Smart is who he is, he's not a great shooter, he's a big shot streaky shooter.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 09:16:57 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Smart always has to take the shot with the shot clock running down, and he gets fouled all the time, and never gets a call.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Smart always has to take the shot with the shot clock running down, and he gets fouled all the time, and never gets a call.
This is one of the more hilarious, misguided narratives that keeps coming up.  He's a terrible offensive player all on his own.  He doesn't get fouled.  Just looks like it because he simply cannot finish.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:31:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
His driving seems to just be him lowering his head and barrelling towards the ring as quickly as he can, without really thinking about how he's actually going to put the ball into the ring. That was very apparent in game 4, where he'd just lose the ball on his way to the ring more often than not.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I think it has to do with the fact that he is a way below average 3 point shooter. Defenders want him to shoot the ball, therefore they stand behind and dare him to do so. It's more difficult for Smart to beat them off the dribble simply because of all that space in between. Defenders have plenty of time to adjust their stance and stop dribble penetration.

Not to mention he lacks the craftiness to beat his defender one on one, but imo that's a secondary issue.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 09:45:25 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
His 2p% reflects the fact that taking 2's is his third option when he drives. His first option is to kick out and his second option is to draw contact. Most of the 2's that he does take are bail-out shots. He has taken some ill-advised ones, including a floater early in the shot clock last game that never had a chance. But overall Smart's offensive game has been passable this offseason.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
For all of Smart's size and strength he is awful at finishing through contact and getting to the rim in general. I believe Smart is who he is at this point, a great defender but awful offensive player.

So basically a Tony Allen

With the 5th pick of the draft...Celtics choose Tony Allen

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Last night was bad. He has 0 explosion. He's completely grounded and can't blow by anyone.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 09:53:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Last night was bad. He has 0 explosion. He's completely grounded and can't blow by anyone.

Maybe tommy is right and he got fat