Author Topic: Your optimistic off-season that still works under the cap  (Read 14153 times)

Re: Your optimistic off-season that still works under the cap
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2017, 10:43:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd rather sign Griffin than Hayward and would trade for George.  I know that makes it a little trickier, but I think that is the better option, as I think that is a more complete team.  Obviously the health of Griffin and George only having 1 year left make it more of a gamble, but I just think that team is flat out better and would have a real shot at unseating Cleveland and/or Golden State.
but only a 1-year shot if PG bolts in free agency.  not a good enough outcome to justify that approach.
I don't know why George would leave that team unless Boston wasn't giving him a full max (which why wouldn't Boston give him that).
until he states he'd be willing to resign with a team he's traded to instead of bolting to LA as a free agent, which is the going theory of what he'll do after next season, I'll go along with the idea that he's leaving.

as for why he'd leave:
- Griffin goes down with another injury
- IT doesn't rebound from his surgery very well
- IT does come back but still plays like he's the center of the offense and doesn't fascilitate well
- Horford's game begins to slide

there's no guarantee PG would stay.  If he'd agree to resign, that's one thing but he's not gone on record saying he'd do it.

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
Okay can peeps stop trying to recruit Chris Bosh

The guy isn't playing period

Otherwise all these ideas are great

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2017, 01:14:09 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
The more I think about it, the more I'd hate to see Bradley gone. It's hard to find a guy who is the consummate role player. Except for playmaking, he has almost every other facet of the game in spades. Lockdown shooter, hits FT's, great cutter, good rebounder for his position, 1st team all defense. Plus, he's starting to be able to create for himself off the PnR or the dribble.

Moving forward, I'd really hate to see him and Smart go. That said, let me try this despite my shallow knowledge of salary cap. So not in sequential order:

1. Renounce Amir and KO and the gang
2. Draft Fultz and stash the remaining guys
3. Sign Zizic
4. Package IT, Rozier, Crowder and picks in a trade or 3-team trade for Jimmy Butler (he makes about 17m right?)
5. Sign Hayward for max
6. Fill out the roster with the room exception and vet min guys (or a PF 2nd rounder if we can afford it). I'm thinking maybe like Kris Humphries? Terrence Jones?

Starting Lineup:
Smart/Bradley/Butler/Hayward/Horford

Rotational Bench:
Fultz/Brown/Terrence Jones/Zizic

Benchwarmers aka vet min players:
Steve Novak (for shooting)
Dahntay Jones (for toughness)
James Young (for continuity)
Joel Anthony (for size and toughness)

Obviously I'm grasping at straws at the benchwarmer section. And if we could retain some guys on the team for peanuts (Jordan Mickey?), that's probably a better option. Hopefully someone like Mo Speights or even ol' pal Sully will sign with us for the minimum.

Regarding height, Bradley is a PG, Butler a SG, Hayward a SF and Horford a PF. You can start an undersized team in one position or two, but not in four.

Try to get a very good PF/C in this trade instead of Butler and I'm buying your plan. I'm thinking abut a Myles Turner kind of player to start alongside Al.

I see where you're coming from. In which case, it might be better for us to go after a guy like Griffin or (yikes!) Millsap in FA. I'd really rather not go for a guy like Myles Turner because he doesn't strike me as someone who can be a playmaker on offense? And CBS' offense seems predicated on ball movement and body movement.

- LilRip

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2017, 04:14:34 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I dont want Paul George as a one year rental. I dont want Bosh and i dont want to trade either Brooklyn pick. I want Ainge to build through the draft and i dont care if i gotta wait 4 to 5 years until we are contenders. Better late then never. All u people who wanna trade every single asset we got left for Jimmy Butler or PG13 are wasting ur time its not gonna happen. Danny Ainge knows we r not buying a team to compete with Cavs or GS for the next 3 to 4 years anyway. Build a contender through the draft. Be patient u people wanting trades now r like lil kids asking their parents (are we there yet)?? No we r not so be quiet n we will get there

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2017, 08:38:01 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
The more I think about it, the more I'd hate to see Bradley gone. It's hard to find a guy who is the consummate role player. Except for playmaking, he has almost every other facet of the game in spades. Lockdown shooter, hits FT's, great cutter, good rebounder for his position, 1st team all defense. Plus, he's starting to be able to create for himself off the PnR or the dribble.

Moving forward, I'd really hate to see him and Smart go. That said, let me try this despite my shallow knowledge of salary cap. So not in sequential order:

1. Renounce Amir and KO and the gang
2. Draft Fultz and stash the remaining guys
3. Sign Zizic
4. Package IT, Rozier, Crowder and picks in a trade or 3-team trade for Jimmy Butler (he makes about 17m right?)
5. Sign Hayward for max
6. Fill out the roster with the room exception and vet min guys (or a PF 2nd rounder if we can afford it). I'm thinking maybe like Kris Humphries? Terrence Jones?

Starting Lineup:
Smart/Bradley/Butler/Hayward/Horford

Rotational Bench:
Fultz/Brown/Terrence Jones/Zizic

Benchwarmers aka vet min players:
Steve Novak (for shooting)
Dahntay Jones (for toughness)
James Young (for continuity)
Joel Anthony (for size and toughness)

Obviously I'm grasping at straws at the benchwarmer section. And if we could retain some guys on the team for peanuts (Jordan Mickey?), that's probably a better option. Hopefully someone like Mo Speights or even ol' pal Sully will sign with us for the minimum.

Regarding height, Bradley is a PG, Butler a SG, Hayward a SF and Horford a PF. You can start an undersized team in one position or two, but not in four.

Try to get a very good PF/C in this trade instead of Butler and I'm buying your plan. I'm thinking abut a Myles Turner kind of player to start alongside Al.

I see where you're coming from. In which case, it might be better for us to go after a guy like Griffin or (yikes!) Millsap in FA. I'd really rather not go for a guy like Myles Turner because he doesn't strike me as someone who can be a playmaker on offense? And CBS' offense seems predicated on ball movement and body movement.

I mostly agree, but two little points. I wouldn't give Millsap more than two years, and Myles Turner can improve a lot if he gets involved in a group offense. In Indy, the ball is just in Teague or George's hands. TP for your explanation.

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
It will be interesting to see how Swanigan's workouts go. I'll be surprised if he stays in the draft.

The guy is 6'7 and can't jump, and isn't an NBA athlete. I don't think he can be much more than a guy on the end of the bench.

He is NOT 6'7".  This was from 2014:

Measured 6'7.25 without shoes, 6'8.5 with shoes, 265 lbs, with a 7'3 wingspan and 9'0 standing reach at the 2014 USA Junior National Team Mini Camp

From draftexpress.com:

Swanigan is undersized at the power forward and center positions but measured a 7'3 wingspan and a 9'0 standing reach which should help to compensate for his lack of ideal height and athleticism. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2017-nba-draft-combine-measurements-analysis-5927/ ©DraftExpress

We sure could NOT use a guy that averaged 12.5 rebounds per games vs. a fairly tough schedule, could we??:-)))))))))))

Smitty77
My mistake. He's not 6'7, he's 6'7.5......

I don't see 12 rebounds translating to the NBA. A lot of guys put up big #s in college and can't even get a roster spot in the NBA.

Swanigan can shoot 3s, but his athleticism is abysmal. I don't see him as an nba player, not even a rotational guy. If we draft him, I hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2017, 12:59:46 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I'd rather sign Griffin than Hayward and would trade for George.  I know that makes it a little trickier, but I think that is the better option, as I think that is a more complete team.  Obviously the health of Griffin and George only having 1 year left make it more of a gamble, but I just think that team is flat out better and would have a real shot at unseating Cleveland and/or Golden State.
but only a 1-year shot if PG bolts in free agency.  not a good enough outcome to justify that approach.
I don't know why George would leave that team unless Boston wasn't giving him a full max (which why wouldn't Boston give him that).

This is my ideal off season generally speaking too.

I'm hopeful George could be had for Rozier, Smart, Crowder, and the Nets '18. ( throw in Mickey and Jackson for salary purposes maybe.)

So our starting unit would be IT, Bradley, George, Griffin and Horford with Brown and Fultz and a ring chaser or two coming off the bench. Brown or Fultz can take over for Bradley the season after, assuming ownership doesn't feel like spending upwards of 150 mil on the starting 5 going forward.

I can't imagine PG walking away from a team that good on paper. Not with Lebron turning 34 in 18-19.

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2017, 07:49:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd be okay with
Draft of Fultz (1), Alec Peters (37), and Cameron Oliver (via 53&57).

Let all FAs, option players and RFAs go.

Sign Millsap 3 year deal with him being able to option out last year. Use whatever $ are left after signing rookies to get it done.

IT/Smart/Rozier
AB/Fultz/Nader
Crowder/Brown
Millsap/Peters/Yab/Mickey
Horford/Zizic/Oliver

Top 10 rotation
IT/AB/Crowder/Millsap/Horford
Smart/Fultz/Brown/Peters/Zizic

End of bench
Rozier/Mickey

D-league
Nader, Yab, Oliver

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2017, 08:07:29 PM »

Offline CF0022

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 3
1. Draft Fultz
2. Make a run at Hayward.  Also explore the market for young big men who can rebound and we can develop behind Horford
3.  Entertain trade offers that work as far as  putting us in good position to win now and in the future without sacrificing our chances at that.
4. Don't be afraid to stand pat.  I wouldn't overpay for Hayward or a big if it doesn't fit into what we are trying to do. we have players developing. Fultz will add scoring next year although probably in a limited role and we can bring yab and zizic over.
5. Hold onto the 18 pick with a big in mind as well unless someone blows our doors off with a trade.
6. Be aggressive though.  Don't be too passive and just let the chips fall.  If we can make a mvoe that puts us in position to win now and later and gives us a nice window don't be afraid to pull the trigger.

« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2017, 08:10:38 PM »

Offline CF0022

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 3
Also Jaylen's offseason is going to be important.   Also wouldn't mind moving MArcus to pg and having IT at SG when he comes back.  We should be going into next season with Marcus being our starting pg imo though.

Explore trades for IT  but his value is going to be low with the injury.  I would hang onto him.

Do not trade Marcus, KO or Jaylen.  Unless we are getting someone like Kristaps, George or Giannis it really doesn't make any sense and even then it would depend and I have my questions. Let them continue to develop.

Even AB I am hesitant to trade and Crowder although more leeway there. I would possibly move the pick or the 18 and those guys for a star depending on who it is.

AB in particular.  I value him a lot. I don't think we have to trade guys ultimately.  Crowder would be the guy who would be first to go to me though.

Stay open minded. Ultimately it's all how this stuff fits ultimately.  SOme guys might fit in situations.  It all really depends like it always does.   If we do make moves do it without bias that way.

Be aggressive. I think that's the most important thing.  All of these are basically parameters and patience when if we are going to make moves to get over the top it's going to take that.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:58:03 PM by CF0022 »