Author Topic: Your optimistic off-season that still works under the cap  (Read 14089 times)

Re: Your optimistic off-season that still works under the cap
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd rather sign Griffin than Hayward and would trade for George.  I know that makes it a little trickier, but I think that is the better option, as I think that is a more complete team.  Obviously the health of Griffin and George only having 1 year left make it more of a gamble, but I just think that team is flat out better and would have a real shot at unseating Cleveland and/or Golden State.
but only a 1-year shot if PG bolts in free agency.  not a good enough outcome to justify that approach.

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2017, 03:55:53 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15

1. Draft Fultz, trade other picks away for cash or trade up and get a big (maybe Giles slips)

2. Trade Avery Bradley + sign and trade KO to the kicks for Melo

3. Trade Demetrius Jackson to anyone willing, using a late #2 if necessary;

4. Renounce all free agents

7. Sign Zizic, Nader, Yabu, Bosh

8. Sign KO and trade KO for future assets

Horford / Zizic
Bosh / Yabu /Giles
Melo /Crowder / Nader
Brown / Smart
IT / Fultz / Rozier

Of course people roll their eyes for picking up melo, but hear me out. We all know the negatives about melo but I feel like he could be had for sacrificing little and the pros of him grabbing boards, giving us another scoring option as well as being there to support our future assets will pay off. I'm against signing any max free agent this season as I feel like they don't address enough of our issues.  Hayward and griffin are nice, but I'd rather target cousins, Brook Lopez, Greg Monroe in the upcoming 2018 free agency.

Pataince is key and melo would only be on the books for 2 years so we will have flexibility and even if we do resign him at that time he could be way cheaper. Even if we decide to not get melo I'd rather us do nothing until we see with zizic and yabu really are before we make any big moves. I meant even the 2018 roster can look crazy good.

Cousins (maybe a sign and trade cousins for horford) / Zizic
Bosh / Yabu/ Giles
Melo / 1st rounder / Nader
Brown / Smart
IT / Fultz / Rozier

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
1. Draft Fultz
2. Trade IT to the Mavs for the 9th pick.
3. Draft Isaac
4. Sign Hayward

Alternatively
1. Draft Fultz
2. Trade IT to the Sixers for Saric (imo Saric > #9)
3. Sign Hayward

Alternatively (pipe dream scenario)
1. Draft Fultz
2. Trade IT + Memphis 2019 first + rights to Zizic for Myles Turner
3. Sign Hayward

Fultz - Smart
Bradley - Brown
Hayward - Crowder
Saric/Isaac/Turner - veteran via free agency
Horford - Zizic/veteran via free agency

These were my ideas before IT's injury, TP. However, with no guarantee he'll fully recover, we can't trade him for value this offseason, and at the deadline no-one will give you good return for a four month rental. The only option is if he's perfectly well for training camp...
All I've heard is that he 'll be ready to play in 4 to 5 months and that his injury isn't as serious as it was initially thought to be. In all likelihood, IT is gonna be ready to play from day 1 of the 2017-2018 season. At this point we have no reason to suspect he will face problems with his recovery. Assuming we decide to trade him, he is gonna be asked to undergo a medical with the team interested in him. If he passes the medical, the trade will go through. I get that his value might take a hit because of the injury but that doesn't mean we can't trade him.

Anyway, since you are saying you no longer want us to trade IT, what should we do then? Extend/resign him or just let him walk?

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 06:16:31 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
1. Draft Fultz and Swanigan; use other 2nds on stashes;

2. Trade Avery Bradley for future draft picks (AB to Philly for 2020 OKC #1?);

4. Renounce all free agents except KO;

5. Sign Gordon Hayward with cap space;

6. Sign Chris Bosh with $4.3 million room exception;

7. Sign Zizic and Nader; get Yabu to stay overseas

8. Sign KO

Horford / Zizic
Bosh / KO / Swanigan
Hayward / Crowder / Nader
Brown / Smart
IT / Fultz / Rozier

Bosh is determined to attempt a comeback, and based upon precedent in other leagues, I'm convinced he'll be able to play.

If there's any wiggle room in the cap, I'd hold off on trading Jackson and would try to trade him, Rozier no picks for Kyle O'Quinn.

Why do you want to sign a guy who's been out of the year for a league and is an eyelash away from dropping dead on the court?

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 06:20:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

8. Sign KO

Horford / Zizic
Bosh / KO / Swanigan
Brown / Smart
IT / Fultz / Rozier

Bosh is determined to attempt a comeback, and based upon precedent in other leagues, I'm convinced he'll be able to play.

If there's any wiggle room in the cap, I'd hold off on trading Jackson and would try to trade him, Rozier no picks for Kyle O'Quinn.

Why do you want to sign a guy who's been out of the year for a league and is an eyelash away from dropping dead on the court?

Because he's an all-star talent with a winning pedigree who fits Brad's system perfectly. And because you have no idea what you're talking about regarding his medical condition.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
If Ainge thinks Fultz is the next Paul? Then make the pick.

If Ainge thinks the #1 overall is still a reach, there is only 2 moves to make. Sign and trade for PGeorge or push hard for ADavis with Both #1's from Jersey

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 07:12:15 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
1. Draft Fultz
2. Trade Marcus Smart 4 Jahlil Okafor
3. Package IT by himself or with others(Crowder/AB/Horford) for the best value you can get...while keeping our future in mind.
4. Sign good vet mentors  Tony Allen, (for the min. or about that) to be great mentors for the young guys.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:36:02 AM by Future Celtics Owner »

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2017, 07:43:30 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
That these are fans' most optimistic scenarios is scary.

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2017, 08:23:57 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

8. Sign KO

Horford / Zizic
Bosh / KO / Swanigan
Brown / Smart
IT / Fultz / Rozier

I love pretty much all of this. The only issue I would have is trading Bradley for such a mediocre pick. I'm resigning myself to the fact that we're going to have to deal one of our guards, but that feels pretty sad.

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Draft Fultz. Trade IT, Bradley, Crowder, and a non-BRK 1st to Indiana for George rental. Renounce all free agents, including Kelly. Sign Mlllsap.

Smart, Rozier
Brown, Fultz
George
Millsap, Yabusele
Horford, Zizic

Fill up the other spots with minimum vets.

Not sure how realistic it is, but I'm pretty sure it'd work under the CBA. If George leaves, we still have next year's Brooklyn pick to work with, didn't ultimately give up much for the rental. And we could just shift Brown to SF and start Fultz from then on. We'd be leaning on the kids in the backcourt seemingly, but something tells me that Brown and Fultz are going to be able to fill big shoes right off the bat. Anyway, how about the defense we'd have, eh? Edit: Impervious to switching. Height, length, strength, and mobility up and down the lineup. The Millsap/Horford combo wouldn't have to carry a team, would be complements to George. Well-balanced scoring but still have a primary in George, for one year at least, before either Brown or Fultz would have to take over. I think Brown could win Most Improved in that context and Fultz could maybe be a dual ROY/SMOY candidate. (We're supposed to be optimistic, right, lol?) Smart might average 10+ assists.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:30:36 PM by Dino Pitino »
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2017, 08:58:23 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
It will be interesting to see how Swanigan's workouts go. I'll be surprised if he stays in the draft.

The guy is 6'7 and can't jump, and isn't an NBA athlete. I don't think he can be much more than a guy on the end of the bench.

From hoopshype:

Purdue’s Caleb Swanigan is staying in the NBA Draft, source told ESPN. I had one GM tell me they think he is most underrated guy in draft.
– via ESPN

Smitty77

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2017, 09:27:41 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

8. Sign KO

Horford / Zizic
Bosh / KO / Swanigan
Brown / Smart
IT / Fultz / Rozier

Because he's an all-star talent with a winning pedigree who fits Brad's system perfectly. And because you have no idea what you're talking about regarding his medical condition.

Well, a couple of weeks ago from his own mouth: As Bosh notes in the interview, it's certainly a complicated situation in Miami, as Bosh wishes to play, but doing so could put him in serious danger -- especially considering he once had a blood clot travel to his lungs. While the Heat could use his skills, they need to put his safety first, which is what they have done so far.

Also: In September 2016, Bosh failed his physical exam with the Heat and was not cleared by the team to participate in training camp.[89] Bosh was initially optimistic in a return to the Heat for the 2016–17 season, and the organization had become increasingly hopeful that he would be cleared for camp. That quickly changed, however, thanks to numerous setbacks accredited to continued blood clotting.

Also, from today: However, there is a second and more somber reality to this situation. The Miami Heat are letting Chris Bosh go because they don’t believe he can safely play the game of basketball again without risking his well-being. The fact that an insurance will be paying the remainder of his contract should tell you enough about how real that concern is. Bosh is a serious health risk, and I’m sure every team will need to think twice, then think twice again before exploring signing Bosh to an NBA contract. The potential of having a Hank Gathers situation will most likely lead to a majority of teams not even considering the possibility of his services. “Do you want to be the franchise that enabled him to risk his life?” Is a question every NBA front office will have to make.

I know a blood clot in your lungs can drop you like you've been shot.

Eric "Hank" Gathers (February 11, 1967 – March 4, 1990) was an American college basketball star at Loyola Marymount University who collapsed and died during a game. He was the second player in NCAA Division I history to lead the nation in scoring and rebounding in the same season. He originally played at the University of Southern California, but transferred with teammate Bo Kimble to LMU after his freshman year. Gathers was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was listed as 6 feet 7 inches (2.01 m) height.

So which part am I misguided about?

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2017, 09:36:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I'm pretty sure that ownership is willing to go way over the cap for a championship team and once we are over the cap we can still sign our own players to salaries over the cap. That's why Tristan Thompson got that big contract.

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2017, 09:39:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
It will be interesting to see how Swanigan's workouts go. I'll be surprised if he stays in the draft.

The guy is 6'7 and can't jump, and isn't an NBA athlete. I don't think he can be much more than a guy on the end of the bench.

From hoopshype:

Purdue’s Caleb Swanigan is staying in the NBA Draft, source told ESPN. I had one GM tell me they think he is most underrated guy in draft.
– via ESPN

Smitty77

It depends how hard is willing to work. Swanigan could be a really valuable bench player in the NBA. It's all a matter of work ethic , see Sully for example of how not to work...

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd rather sign Griffin than Hayward and would trade for George.  I know that makes it a little trickier, but I think that is the better option, as I think that is a more complete team.  Obviously the health of Griffin and George only having 1 year left make it more of a gamble, but I just think that team is flat out better and would have a real shot at unseating Cleveland and/or Golden State.
but only a 1-year shot if PG bolts in free agency.  not a good enough outcome to justify that approach.
I don't know why George would leave that team unless Boston wasn't giving him a full max (which why wouldn't Boston give him that).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip