Poll

Does Chicago do this trade?  Yabu, Zizic, Zeller, Smat, Crowder, LAC 1st for Butler

Yes
3 (42.9%)
No
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: IT, Bradley, J Butler, Horford, Blake Griffin - Rozier, Jaylen, Fultz  (Read 4570 times)

Offline traderondo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I wanted to see what people's thoughts are on the following trades / signings in the off-season in order no make us a contender now and keep a bright future.

1)  Draft Fultz - Come on the bench, in 4-5 years will replace IT/Bradley

2)  Trade Smart, Crowder Brooklyn 2018 Pick, Zeller (for salary match) for Jimmy Butler - I think this option makes much more sense than signing Hayward because you can get 2-3 more years of Butler at 18M, instead of Hayward at about $30M.  This will give them more flexibility to sign another free agent (Blake Griffin) to good money.  I believe this is what was the ask at the deadline, if not might have to add in Rozier or picks too

3) Sign IT early to match Horford's pay- 28-30M for next 5 years,  (instead of 6M next year then 4 years at 36M, pay him early and get him at 28-29M per year vs 36M per year if we wait.  It makes sense for him to take the insurance policy and make an average of 28M per year guaranteed instead of making 6M and hoping he gets 36M in free agency.

4) Sign Bradley Early, give no trade clause.  Same logic as IT.  Give him a raise from 8M to 18-22M range immediately, give him a no trade clause to accept the "discount".

5)  Sign Blake Griffin to 25M a year.

This gives you a starting five of

IT
Bradley
J Butler
Horford
Griffin

With Fultz, Rozier, and Jaylen Brown off the bench.  Zizic and Yabu would fill out the roster.  This would be a great of competing for a championship now and the future.  As IT, Horford, Girffin contracts expire, you start giving bigger money to Rozier, Jaylen, Fultz as appropriate.

The salary schedule would be something like the attachment.

Offline traderondo

• Xavier Tillman
Isaiah Thomas   $27,734,405   $28,928,710   $30,123,015   $31,000,000   32000000
Avery Bradley   $20,000,000   $20,000,000   $20,000,000   $20,000,000   $20,000,000
Jimmy Butler   $18,696,918   $19,841,627   $19,841,627      
Al Horford   $27,734,405   $28,928,710   $30,123,015   $0   
Blake Griffin   $25,000,000   $25,000,000   $25,000,000   $25,000,000   

Jaylen Brown   $4,956,480   $5,169,960   $6,534,829   $8,573,696   
Terry Rozier   $1,988,520   $3,050,389   $4,285,797   $0   
Fultz   $8,000,000   $8,000,000   $8,000,000   $8,000,000   
Zizic   $1,988,520   $3,050,389   $4,285,797      
Yabu   $1,988,520   $3,050,389   $4,285,797      
Demetrius Jackson   $1,384,750   $1,319,500   $1,319,500   $0   

TOTAL   $138,087,768   $145,020,174   $152,479,877   $92,573,696   

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We have no cap space to both extend IT/AB and to sign Blake (who also wouldn't be inclined to take $5 million per year below the max).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Fultz won't be on the bench for 4-5 years, we likely can't get Griffin for less than max, BRK '18 pick should be untouchable, and there's probably no way we can resign both IT and AB.

Other than that, looks great.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I think Fultz will be starting probably middle of his first year to his second year. That's why he's the top prospect in the draft and our eventual #1 pick.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

2)  Trade Smart, Crowder Brooklyn 2018 Pick, Zeller (for salary match) for Jimmy Butler - I think this option makes much more sense than signing Hayward because you can get 2-3 more years of Butler at 18M, instead of Hayward at about $30M.  This will give them more flexibility to sign another free agent (Blake Griffin) to good money.  I believe this is what was the ask at the deadline, if not might have to add in Rozier or picks too

3) Sign IT early to match Horford's pay- 28-30M for next 5 years,  (instead of 6M next year then 4 years at 36M, pay him early and get him at 28-29M per year vs 36M per year if we wait.  It makes sense for him to take the insurance policy and make an average of 28M per year guaranteed instead of making 6M and hoping he gets 36M in free agency.

4) Sign Bradley Early, give no trade clause.  Same logic as IT.  Give him a raise from 8M to 18-22M range immediately, give him a no trade clause to accept the "discount".

2. Close to insane.
3. No thanks... even when he was healthy. Now it's also close to insane.
5. No way he takes less than max.

Above all, as others have said you, beyond those points we can't do that because of salary cap reasons. So move on.

Offline traderondo

• Xavier Tillman

2. Close to insane.
3. No thanks... even when he was healthy. Now it's also close to insane.
5. No way he takes less than max.

Above all, as others have said you, beyond those points we can't do that because of salary cap reasons. So move on.

Do you think Chicago would do it for less?  If you threw in Rozier instead of the pick, would you do that?
How much would you pay IT, starting now...20m, 25m?
I disagree that griffin wouldn't take less than max, he should be available slightly lower because of his injuries. 

We should be able to do all this, if IT signs last.

All that being said, could that starting 5 with fultz rozier and brown off the bench compete for a championship in the next 2-3 years?

The idea of all this would be for fultz only to come off the bench next year, then eventually push either IT or Bradley to the bench.  Once Butlers contract ends, move into Jaylen brown.  The alternative for blake griffin would be noerlens Noel at a lower pay scale.  I'd prefer griffin for a chance to win now

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Not a big fan of Butler for any Nets pick

Offline traderondo

• Xavier Tillman

Would you do Rozier smart and crowder for butler?  Maybe throw in the LAC 1st

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Chicago wouldn't bite.

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Am I missing something or does this not work at all under the salary cap?

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I wanted to see what people's thoughts are on the following trades / signings in the off-season in order no make us a contender now and keep a bright future.

IT
Bradley
J Butler
Horford
Griffin

With Fultz, Rozier, and Jaylen Brown off the bench.  Zizic and Yabu would fill out the roster.  This would be a great of competing for a championship now and the future.  As IT, Horford, Girffin contracts expire, you start giving bigger money to Rozier, Jaylen, Fultz as appropriate.

1) The Number one pick isn't sitting on the bench for 4 years.

2) Zeller needs to be released to open up max cap room, so trading him before we sign a free agent would mean we are eating into our cap space. In order to trade for Butler it would have to be after free agency likely using Bradley/Crowder contracts to match.

3) If you mean renegotiate and extend this summer we cant. Signing a free agent eats up that cap space and even if it didn't the most we could offer him this summer is 25.3 million, 25% of the cap since he is a 6 year vet. Also a five year deal? Hell to the no.

4) To get Butler you almost have to give Bradley to make the math work. Also same problem as IT no money to extend contract. Also NO trade clauses get you in the Carmelo situation. NOPE.

5) Blake Griffin is not taking less than the max.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

IT
Bradley
J Butler
Horford
Griffin

1) The Number one pick isn't sitting on the bench for 4 years.

2) Zeller needs to be released to open up max cap room, so trading him before we sign a free agent would mean we are eating into our cap space. In order to trade for Butler it would have to be after free agency likely using Bradley/Crowder contracts to match.

3) If you mean renegotiate and extend this summer we cant. Signing a free agent eats up that cap space and even if it didn't the most we could offer him this summer is 25.3 million, 25% of the cap since he is a 6 year vet. Also a five year deal? Hell to the no.

4) To get Butler you almost have to give Bradley to make the math work. Also same problem as IT no money to extend contract. Also NO trade clauses get you in the Carmelo situation. NOPE.

5) Blake Griffin is not taking less than the max.
Pretty good refutation of the OP.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I would. But I feel it would take Rozier, AB, Crowder and LAC 1st. Can't imagine anything less.

Offline traderondo

• Xavier Tillman
1) Trade Yabu, Zizic, Smart, Crowder, Demtrius Jackson, LAC 1st for Butler
2) Sign Blake Griffin to 25M (assuming market rate w injury history)

Roster with CAP hit of 100.185M (under the CAP)

Isaiah Thomas   $6,000,000
Avery Bradley   $8,808,989
Jimmy Butler   $18,696,918
Al Horford   $27,734,405
Blake Griffin   $25,000,000

Jaylen Brown   $4,956,480
Terry Rozier   $1,988,520
Fultz   $7,000,000

3) Restructure IT using bird Rights to go over, starting at 25M, increasing 1M each year (total of $135 over 5 years, $27M average)  He would likely take that because in order to make more than that in the next 5 years he would have to average 32.25M per year in his next contract after his 6M year next year.Not likely to get anything more than that. 32M

4) Restructure Bradley using Bird Rights to go over CAP, 20m per over next 5 years

2019 - When Butler is Unrestricted FA, Pay Rozier
2020 - When Horford is FA, Pay Jaylen