Author Topic: Fultz is 2nd longest PG...EVER from lotto  (Read 14405 times)

Re: Fultz is 2nd longest PG...EVER from lotto
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
That's all nice, but Fultz is not a PG.

Curious why you think not (you can link to another forum if you've already gone through this).  I think that PG is the position he's perfectly suited for in the NBA.

He has the experience playing PG in college.  He has the size to play PG in the NBA.  He seems to have good composure, floor command, bball iq, and court vision.  The PG position in the NBA is trending more towards scorers now.  The two guards on the All-NBA first team (Harden and Westbrook) are scorers who were SGs in college eventually turned into PGs.  The All-NBA second team (Curry and IT4) are also both scorers who could be considered SGs but both are their team's starting PGs. 

I'm sure people said "____ is not a PG" about those 4 guys many times... and maybe there is even some decent logic or intiution behind those arguments... but in there are the point guards of 3 of the best 5 teams in the NBA, so it's hard to argue that it's not working.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The same way guys like Harden and Westbrook aren't PG's? I'm not sure what specific point guard qualities he's missing, if any.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I love the length, but I must admit, I am a little concerned about his lack of quickness and burst.

Same concern. 

Some parts of these highlights concern me

Not fighting through picks, inability to turn the corner/diffulty finishing near the basket

Fultz defense
https://youtu.be/ODqr6NeDpFg

Fultz penetration
https://youtu.be/uy4K5hbjW0c
Are statements about his offense true?  Does he have difficulty finishing near the basket?  Does he have difficulty turning the corner?  What do the numbers show?

Some times (judge for yourself)

Especially against solid defenders...

It is a little weird. Once in awhile he has trouble finishing near the basket, but other times he makes your draw drop. His creativeness and ability to finish touch looks near the basket is Kyrie-esque. He is truly gifted at finishing ridiculous spins off the drive.
#JKJB

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

He's always played the point and averaged 6 assists per game in college. He's a point guard. I think he can play both guards spots and maybe a little small ball 3 but he is a point guard.

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 12:36:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The same way guys like Harden and Westbrook aren't PG's? I'm not sure what specific point guard qualities he's missing, if any.
He's missing the "other players in the lineup are typically better scoring options than me" quality.   8)

He's always played the point and averaged 6 assists per game in college. He's a point guard. I think he can play both guards spots and maybe a little small ball 3 but he is a point guard.
He was and will be a scoring guard who can pass. That, combined with the fact he has the ball in his hands a lot will generate assists. He will also likely be big enough to guard most NBA SGs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I just watched videos of Fultz, Ball, Jackson and Fox.

There is no question to me Fultz is the best player right now. He looks basically like a longer version of IT--which a lot of people dream about. Great outside shot, great at going to the basket. He's a 1-2. Can play both.

Ball looks more like 2. Longer. Can shoot the 3, but his release is awkward--a bit low and to one side. Reminds me of Hunter, though Hunter's release was lower. Has trouble with foul shooting, which is probably correctable with practice. He can pass, gets assists. Not sure he's a 1, though.

Jackson is a 3. Looks like he needs to build up some strength. I don't see much to get excited about. Will take a few years.

Fox I like better. Fast guard, but he'll never be a 20 ppg PG. The tools and length for good defense. His shooting is in question.

I don't see much of a decision from these videos. Fultz is a complete player at 19. He's freakish.

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

There is no question to me Fultz is the best player right now. He looks basically like a longer version of IT--which a lot of people dream about. Great outside shot, great at going to the basket. He's a 1-2. Can play both.

Ball looks more like 2. Longer. Can shoot the 3, but his release is awkward--a bit low and to one side. Reminds me of Hunter, though Hunter's release was lower. Has trouble with foul shooting, which is probably correctable with practice. He can pass, gets assists. Not sure he's a 1, though.

Jackson is a 3. Looks like he needs to build up some strength. I don't see much to get excited about. Will take a few years.

Fox I like better. Fast guard, but he'll never be a 20 ppg PG. The tools and length for good defense. His shooting is in question.

I don't see much of a decision from these videos. Fultz is a complete player at 19. He's freakish.

I need to tell you that whichever videos you've watched have not served you well enough in making you an informed fan on these draftees.  You need to watch some full game footage to get really informed opinons on these players, you can probably find them on youtube too. 

Ball is the most pure point guard of a prospect we've seen come into the draft since... (looking back at draft history)... Kyrie in 2011 (who didn't even turn out to be that pure of a PG) or John Wall in 2010 and Ricky Rubio in 2009.

You'll really appreciate a lot of intangibles Josh Jackson has if you watch full game footage of him too.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2017, 01:49:42 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

I need to tell you that whichever videos you've watched have not served you well enough in making you an informed fan on these draftees.  You need to watch some full game footage to get really informed opinons on these players, you can probably find them on youtube too. 

Ball is the most pure point guard of a prospect we've seen come into the draft since... (looking back at draft history)... Kyrie in 2011 (who didn't even turn out to be that pure of a PG) or John Wall in 2010 and Ricky Rubio in 2009.

You'll really appreciate a lot of intangibles Josh Jackson has if you watch full game footage of him too.
well.. KI is a SG in PG's body(a bad thing) and Rubio is.. not that good
and Wall can't even beat a short version of Fulz in IT
so give me Fulz everyday!

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2017, 02:01:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Seems to be shooting guards in point guards bodies who are dominating the league nowadays, and have been some of the most impressive players over the last 20 years.

But I'm all aboard that Fultz train with ya.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

I like Fultz a lot as a PG too (he's my slight preference at #1 overall right now).  I was just stating that Ball isn't a SG, he's a very very pure PG.

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2017, 03:58:05 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I love the length, but I must admit, I am a little concerned about his lack of quickness and burst.

I feel that Fultz has very deceptive quickness.  Because his game is about rocking his opponent to sleep, changing speeds, and then getting by them and finishing with superior body control and length. 

He covers ground so quickly with his long strides and suddenly he has a layup or he finishes with his high release point.  He's got the agility of a gazelle and operates with great calmness in traffic.  The fact that he can constantly finish even with a hand in his face or surrounded by defenders, that makes me think he will do well no matter what.  His game is not about out-running defenders but beating them with his movement and ball skills.

An official college court is the same size as an official NBA court so it is apparent to me from watching the videos that he will have no problem covering ground in the NBA as well.

As far as his defensive potential, his superior length is well documented.  The question will be his lateral speed and ability to contain more explosive guards at the NBA level.  The Celtics will probably get a much better idea of where Fultz stands there once he comes in for workouts.

Still feeling Fultz as the #1 overall pick.  He has a very calm demeanor and he should play well with IT, both are Washington alumni and already share a connection.

I see Fultz as the kind of complete all-around offensive player who can score at all 3 levels - short, mid, and 3.  Put me down now in writing - he's a guaranteed 20ppg scorer at the NBA level.  And you'll see be able to see that production by year 2.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:08:18 PM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2017, 04:11:01 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

I like Fultz a lot as a PG too (he's my slight preference at #1 overall right now).  I was just stating that Ball isn't a SG, he's a very very pure PG.

I dunno. I was just watching the UCLA vs Wash. game video. UCLA the better team. Fultz looks like Curry to me, Ball like KT. Fultz more quickness, especially in the paint. Ball longer. Likes to gun the 3. Fultz more a penetrator, creator. And the kid is a year or two younger.

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2017, 04:16:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Exactly

He doesnt force the issue...plays a chess game on the court

Some guys will run into the fire, making things harder than it is... Jackson wont do that if he doesnt have to.  He lets the game come to him

I like him as a player just dont think Danny will pick him

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2017, 04:30:01 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I second that the only remaining concern is his drive, work ethic, competitiveness, etc. I realize that some amazing players actually coast on their talent and still end up pretty great or have HOF careers even. Still, I would rather not our potential best player for the next 8 years to be too casual and indifferent to working hard. To be a championship team, your best player really needs to set the tone for everyone.

They probably have to take him anyway, I'm just mentioning it. I'd be a little disappointed if he turned out like an Iverson or Harden though. Puts up great numbers, but selfish and doesn't play hard on defense.

I don't think it's a work ethic problem, but I've seen various comments/reports that don't reflect positively on his motor, which is a YUGE ;D red flag, imo.  I hate players like James Harden, but of course Ainge will take Fultz.  He's a combo guard, is he not? ;) Oh well, at least this one can shoot...from the field ;D, as long as his knee holds up, that is ::). Not good.

If this is true...a little concerning
Not really. He had to carry his college team and was given a huge load offensively. He had a horrible coach and pretty bad team, who also shot badly. Fultz had to have a perfect possession each time down the floor. His coach played non-shooting bigs and the other wings could barely shoot...Fultz still smoothly got where he wanted and shot how he wanted, with great efficiency. He would have had the best freshman year since Durant if he had a better coach and some improved shooting...especially from the big-men.

BTW he's a gym rat.

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2017, 04:34:41 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

He had a higher assist percentage than Lonzo Ball. Do you consider Lonzo to be a PG?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers