Author Topic: Fultz is 2nd longest PG...EVER from lotto  (Read 14391 times)

Re: Fultz is 2nd longest PG...EVER from lotto
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He's basically the PG version of KD

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 03:05:48 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I love the length, but I must admit, I am a little concerned about his lack of quickness and burst.

He's deceptive.   Because he has such great balance, precision and efficiency of motion, he doesn't ever look like he's in a hurry.  He can look 'slow'.   But folks said the same things about Pierce and for the same mistaken reason.

A good video to watch is the "pull up game" vid on Fultz on DraftExpress:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Markelle-Fultz---Pull-Up-Game-5742/

That video is a bit dated now (it was posted last December) but it demonstrates some important things about why Fultz is so highly rated and perfect for scoring in the NBA.  For one thing, it obviously shows just how polished his skill is at creating a wide variety of shots off the dribble, many with almost deceptive ease.   But it also shows that he does indeed have 'explosive' ability when he needs it.  His step-back is so sudden that it is sick how helpless it makes the defender look.   But more to what you are talking about, scroll towards the end of the video.  That's where it shows how all those hypnotic pull-up moves sets the defense up for him to explode to the hoop.

The kid got to the line 6.7 times per game.  He has a great first step and can drive.

Watching him at work reminds me so much of Pierce at times it's eerie.   How many times did we see The Truth casually work the ball from the top of the key over to the elbow, give ever so slight a lean as if he was thinking about putting his shoulder down to drive ... and then suddenly explode back and up for the jumper?   I still have a vivid memory of him doing that to Artest in the Finals.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Ok ok he looks like a 6'4 Lillard to me.

I just don't think we need a guard...probably for my affinity to Smart, AB and IT.

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
he looks pretty jacked in this new video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlW1_b_Y2AQ
I do not agree with this "scout" about his defense and quickness. I however do agree that Fultz has gotten bigger

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 03:16:47 PM »

• Ray Allen
Nice post.  I've actually been thinking about starting a thread on Fultz's body type.  Dude is not only long, but he's got a more stocky build that one would think (see video below).  Part of me was concerned that he would grow too much and maybe become less explosive but there are examples of guys that just have that body type and remain very quick (e.g., Harden, Baron Davis).

Either way, in addition to his length, he's not a lightweight either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj788Dd7_Es
He looks jacked in this video too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlW1_b_Y2AQ

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 03:28:50 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Have to remember how far he has come since get cut for varsity as a soph...in less than 2 years he was either the top ranked prospect or one of the top........

To fill in a bit of back-ground for folks who aren't as familiar with his story, Fultz was a lot shorter at the start of high school.  And he did not have a deep basketball background as a kid.  His freshman year on the Freshman Team was his first full year of organized basketball.  He was 5' 9" at the end of that year.

So it is understandable (inexperienced, small) that he didn't make the varsity cut.  But his skill just kept improving and suddenly he went on a huge growth spurt.   The UW had someone on the coaching staff from the DC/Maryland area who got interested in him very early on, even before the growth spurt and after he then saw him after he shot up, he got Coach Romar's attention.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 04:51:32 PM »

• Ray Allen

Have to remember how far he has come since get cut for varsity as a soph...in less than 2 years he was either the top ranked prospect or one of the top........

To fill in a bit of back-ground for folks who aren't as familiar with his story, Fultz was a lot shorter at the start of high school.  And he did not have a deep basketball background as a kid.  His freshman year on the Freshman Team was his first full year of organized basketball.  He was 5' 9" at the end of that year.

So it is understandable (inexperienced, small) that he didn't make the varsity cut.  But his skill just kept improving and suddenly he went on a huge growth spurt.   The UW had someone on the coaching staff from the DC/Maryland area who got interested in him very early on, even before the growth spurt and after he then saw him after he shot up, he got Coach Romar's attention.
Ya it's very important for everyone to understand his story and how relatively new he is to basketball....unlike Ball who had a Dad put a ball in his hands when he was a baby, which is not a bad thing at all.

He showed a ton of loyalty to UW. He could have screwed them and gone somewhere else but they were the ones to get in with him and show him attention before he hit his growth spurt and had a million offers.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm sold.
Plug him into the PG slot for the next 12 years.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 08:24:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I love the length, but I must admit, I am a little concerned about his lack of quickness and burst.

He's deceptive.   Because he has such great balance, precision and efficiency of motion, he doesn't ever look like he's in a hurry.  He can look 'slow'.   But folks said the same things about Pierce and for the same mistaken reason.

That video is a bit dated now (it was posted last December) but it demonstrates some important things about why Fultz is so highly rated and perfect for scoring in the NBA.  For one thing, it obviously shows just how polished his skill is at creating a wide variety of shots off the dribble, many with almost deceptive ease.   But it also shows that he does indeed have 'explosive' ability when he needs it.  His step-back is so sudden that it is sick how helpless it makes the defender look.   But more to what you are talking about, scroll towards the end of the video.  That's where it shows how all those hypnotic pull-up moves sets the defense up for him to explode to the hoop.

The kid got to the line 6.7 times per game.  He has a great first step and can drive.

Watching him at work reminds me so much of Pierce at times it's eerie.   How many times did we see The Truth casually work the ball from the top of the key over to the elbow, give ever so slight a lean as if he was thinking about putting his shoulder down to drive ... and then suddenly explode back and up for the jumper?   I still have a vivid memory of him doing that to Artest in the Finals.

I have read that the number of times you go to the line per game is a great predictor of offensive efficiency and viability in the NBA. I was just reading that is one of the big knocks on Ball.

Fultz - 6.7  Ball- 2.7 Jackson 4.9  Tatum 4.8  Fox 5.9

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 08:30:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I have read that the number of times you go to the line per game is a great predictor of offensive efficiency and viability in the NBA. I was just reading that is one of the big knocks on Ball.

Fultz - 6.7  Ball- 2.7 Jackson 4.9  Tatum 4.8  Fox 5.9
Smart got to the line at will
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 12:02:55 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think what's more important is, well, what's between his ears.

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 12:11:48 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I'm sold.
Plug him into the SG slot for the next 12 years.

Fixed. He can play 3 in the long run too

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 12:17:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Same concern. 

Some parts of these highlights concern me

Not fighting through picks, inability to turn the corner/diffulty finishing near the basket

Fultz defense
https://youtu.be/ODqr6NeDpFg

Fultz penetration
https://youtu.be/uy4K5hbjW0c
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:30:17 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 12:39:55 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm sold.

Please don't change my posts. I prefer Fultz at the point.

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 12:46:43 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I'm sold.

Please don't change my posts. I prefer Fultz at the point.

This team needs no PG. They need scorers and he's better off as SG, unless both IT and Smart are gone.