Author Topic: Fultz is 2nd longest PG...EVER from lotto  (Read 14265 times)

Fultz is 2nd longest PG...EVER from lotto
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
 His all-time best length ( standing reach and wingspan) is actually longer than many SF's who stand at 6'8''-6'10''.  Due to his length he will have the potential to defend the 1 -3 in  NBA(given he progresses defensively). The only player to have longer measurements at pg is Shaun Livingston, who stands at 6'8''.

All players drafted at PG in lottery since 2000:
Wingspan: 2nd all time behind Shuan Livingston
Standing Reach: 2nd all time behind Livingston

All players drafted in first round at PG since 2000:
Standing Reach: 3rd overall
Wingspan: 0.25'' away from 2nd overall. Ties for 4th overall.

To put this into better perspective....If Fultz ever gets a 38'' max vertical( which he could already posses), he would have the same defensive range as KAWHI LEANARD when he came into the league at 3200 square feet.....

Fultz (measurements could very well be longer now)
8'6'' Standing Reach
6'10'' Wingspan
***Standing Reach seems to always be left out/inconsequential when length is discussed. Standing Reach is just as important though. Among many things, it also factors in with: height of release point for jumper, makes it difficult for players to disturb your jumper, rebounding, contesting shots, blocking shots, picking off high passes, and etc.

Lillard: 6'7.75'' wingspan and 7'11.5'' standing reach
MCW: 6'7.25'' wingspan and 8'5'' standing reach
Jae Crowder: 6'9.25'' wingspan and 8'3.5'' standing reach
Chris Paul:6'4.25'' wingspan and 7'9'' standing reach
Mike Conley: 6'5.75'' wingspan and 7'10.5'' standing reach
D-Rose: 6'8'' wingspan and 8'2'' standing reach
Westbrook: 6'7.75'' wingspan and 8'4'' standing reach
George Hill: 6'9'' wingspan and 8'1'' standing reach
Steph Curry: 6'3.5'' wingspan and 8'1'' standing reach
Derozan: 6'9'' wingspan and 8'6'' standing reach
Kyrie: 6'3.5'' wingspan and 8'3'' standing reach
Kemba Walker: 6'3.5'' wingspan and 7'7'' standing reach
KCP: 6'8'' wingspan and 8'4'' standing reach
Beal: 6'8'' wingspan and 8'4'' standing reach
John Wall: 6'9.25'' wingspan and 8'5'' standing reach
CJ McCollum: 6'6.25'' wingspan and 8'0.25'' standing reach
Oladipo: 6'9.25'' wingspan and 8'4.5'' standing reach
Jimmy Butler: 6'8'' wingspan and 8'5'' standing reach
D. Wade: 6'10.75'' wingspan and 8'6'' standing reach

Defensive NBA potential
Is off the charts, but it is not guaranteed. He gave up a lot of drives when in isolation defense against other guards. Scouts believe he was carrying a tremendous load for the team, which demanded a lot of energy, but he also had a very fixable/coachable defensive fundamental:

-Location of arms while in defensive stance: He keeps his arms behind him which makes him off-balance and lass athletic. See for yourself in any of the videos from college. Whenever he was in isolation defense the placement of his arms put him at a huge disadvantage on the drive & contesting the shot. This is something that is extremely fixable. It also helps that we have great defenders, a defensive culture, and a great coach. There is no way CBS always Fultz to play defense with his arms in that position.....which IMO means Fultz will change if he ever wants to play in the NBA.
- Getting bumped by defender on drive: one more thing Fultz can do is get better core strength so he does not get bumped off while his defender is driving. Fultz has a history of making huge strides in short periods of time. Young players are naturally the most likely to make physical gains. Getting plugged into a PRO STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING PROGRAM and having zero classes/ academic responsibilities are 2 of the more significant factors, along with natural boosts in testosterone/etc. IMO Fultz will improve both core and overall strength by the start of the season...which is like 5 months away.

Here is a good breakdown of his game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHYCFBASl_4

Re: Fultz is 2nd longest PG...EVER from lotto
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's in dwayne wade territory which is extremely impressive.
Tp
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 01:53:09 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Nice summary for those of us too lazy to look it up.   ;D

There's good reason he is consensus #1.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »

• Ray Allen
He's in dwayne wade territory which is extremely impressive.
Tp
tp back.
Fultz:6'10'' wingspan and 8'6'' standing reach
Wade: 6'10.75'' wingspan and 8'6'' standing reach

Yea it's insane. Plus D-Wade was a soph when he had these measurements taken, when Fultz was just out of hs.

D-Wade had a great agility and sprint time and his vertical was 31.5'' standing and 35.5'' max.

D-Wade came into the NBA with such a great physique. Jaylen is actually was 10lbs heavie with less bf% and a year younger btw.

I am very excited to plug Fultz into our strength and conditioning program......insane.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »

• Ray Allen
Nice summary for those of us too lazy to look it up.   ;D

There's good reason he is consensus #1.
Thatls dude..tp

Also, check out a vid ( or the end of the one I posted though the whole thing is good) to see his defense. He has a very fixable issue with his arm positioning while defending in isolation. IMO that will be fixed immediately by either an asst. coach or CBS.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 02:02:11 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Fultz is the modern day guard prototype. Can easily play alongside IT or Smart or in 3 guard lineups.

IT/ Smart/ Fultz/ Brown/ Hayward will man the 1-3 spots next year, and Bradley + Rozier will be expendable unless we can get something really good for Smart. There's room there for everyone to average 30mpg, assuming a small number of games missed.

I think you maybe start IT/Hayward/Brown and pair Fultz/Smart off the bench to see if they are a future combo.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »

• Ray Allen
Fultz is the modern day guard prototype. Can easily play alongside IT or Smart or in 3 guard lineups.

IT/ Smart/ Fultz/ Brown/ Hayward will man the 1-3 spots next year, and Bradley + Rozier will be expendable unless we can get something really good for Smart. There's room there for everyone to average 30mpg, assuming a small number of games missed.

I think you maybe start IT/Hayward/Brown and pair Fultz/Smart off the bench to see if they are a future combo.
Kinda funny, but shows just how freakish Fultz's length is....
Gordon Hayward:
6'7.75'' wingspan
8'7'' standing reach

FULTZ:
6'10'' wingspan
8'6'' standing reach

Hayward also was measured after his soph in college, while Fultz last measurement was before his freshman year in college...may not make a difference but most players add some to their lengths

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Gordon Hayward:
6'7.75'' wingspan
8'7'' standing reach

FULTZ:
6'10'' wingspan
8'6'' standing reach

Hayward also was measured after his soph in college, while Fultz last measurement was before his freshman year in college...may not make a difference but most players add some to their lengths

TP Celtic owner for that breakdown.

I'd like to add Jaylen Brown. Who is over 6'5" shoes off with a 7' Wingspan and browns standing reach is only a half inch higher at 8'6.5".

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 02:30:17 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Not relevant at all but this talk of wingspan reminded me of Jimmy Young!!!!

James Young has a 7' wingspan and a 8'8" standing reach.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Ever?  Or since 2000?  :P

I'd have to imagine Penny Hardaway (6'7"), Steve Smith (6'8"), and Jalen Rose (6'8") are probably up there somewhere (and believe it or not, all considered PGs going into their rookie years).  Not that I'm expecting measurements dating back that far though.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 02:32:48 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Nice post.  I've actually been thinking about starting a thread on Fultz's body type.  Dude is not only long, but he's got a more stocky build that one would think (see video below).  Part of me was concerned that he would grow too much and maybe become less explosive but there are examples of guys that just have that body type and remain very quick (e.g., Harden, Baron Davis).

Either way, in addition to his length, he's not a lightweight either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj788Dd7_Es

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
When I first watched Fultz highlights, he reminded me a lot of Jon Jones from the UFC with how long his wingspan looked.

I'm pretty stoked about his defensive potential!

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
I love the length, but I must admit, I am a little concerned about his lack of quickness and burst.

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 02:47:40 PM »

• Ray Allen

Gordon Hayward:
6'7.75'' wingspan
8'7'' standing reach

FULTZ:
6'10'' wingspan
8'6'' standing reach

TP Celtic owner for that breakdown.

I'd like to add Jaylen Brown. Who is over 6'5" shoes off with a 7' Wingspan and browns standing reach is only a half inch higher at 8'6.5".
Brown's standing reach is actually much better........

There were YUUUGE discrepancies in the 2016 NBA Draft Combine. It was such a big deal and messup that all the  STANDING REACH measurements in 2016 Draft Combine were tainted. Everyone was told to disregard the standing reaches as an official measurement.

Let's look at Brown's previous standing reaches, including one taken in 2012 when he was only 6'4'' w/o shoes:

2012: 8'7.5'' STANDING REACH and he was only 6'4'' w/o shoes then
2014: 8'8.5'' STANDING REACH
2015: 8'9''    STANDING REACH w/ 7'0.5'' WINGSPAN @hoopsummit measured 6'5.5'' w/o shoes
2016: 8'6.5''  STANDING REACH 6'5.25'' w/o shoes and 6'11.75'' wingspan

2016 measurement was that draft combine that screwed up the standing reaches and told everyone to disregard them.

IMO if you take all of his measurements for standing reach in to account, a realistic standing reach of:
8'8'' = Jaylen's most realistic standing reach while also taking into account the "disregarded" 2016 standing reach at the combine. It makes sense to me, especially since the HOOPSUMMIT measurements a year before are usually pretty on the money.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »

• Ray Allen
When I first watched Fultz highlights, he reminded me a lot of Jon Jones from the UFC with how long his wingspan looked.

I'm pretty stoked about his defensive potential!
I never knew that he had a funky arm stance while playing defense, until it was pointed out to me. He got really great steals and blocks but I thought his defense overall was mostly affected by the huge load the team expected him to carry every game and as a freshman.

But I'm even more positive about his defensive potential now. Have to remember how far he has come since get cut for varsity as a soph...in less than 2 years he was either the top ranked prospect or one of the top........

Now that he is a PRO he will have all the time to work on his game. Plugging him into our strength and conditioning program is huuuuuge. But teaching him better ways to defend from the best coaches will also be huge.