Author Topic: IT for Saric?  (Read 7011 times)

Re: IT for Saric?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 02:43:20 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This Saric fascination is the weirdest and most inexplicable phenomenon I've ever encountered on this board.

Yes. Is this some part of really extended gag by one or two posters together? He is a really nice bench player or perhaps an average starter if everything breaks right. Most Philly fans are thinking about ways to make him the bench scorer facilitator. He also only put up some big numbers in the last 3rd of the season when literally 25% of the league was tanking. During this same time players like Skal Labassiere, WCS and Buddy Hield put up really big numbers in meaningless game also. Why we would consider giving up a 2x all-star for a role player really has me scratching my head.

Also do people realize he has played professionally for years and is already 23? He obviously isn't old, but he is a full 3 years older than someone like Jaylen Brown. Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.

It's mind-boggling. I read Liberty Ballers occasionally, but I always tend to read it a bit more when the draft rolls around. Saric is universally viewed as a bench player over there. Why Celtics fans are convinced he's some star is baffling.
Is he viewed as a bench player because they have Embiid and Simmons or because they think he is a bench player?  I mean Crowder is starting here, but should be a bench player and is viewed as such by much of this board.  Heck people on here think Thomas should come off the bench.  Saric was a lottery pick when everyone in the draft knew he was staying in Europe for at least 2 years.  That just doesn't happen.  He showed pretty nice potential down the stretch when he got playing time (much the same way Brown did for Boston or Hield for Sacramento, etc.).  He is older because of his Europe time, but he also improved a great deal in his one season and will likely be the rookie of the year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Nah, Philly loses that trade.  IT for Isaiah Canaan is more realistic, both sides win. Boston could add sweetener as needed.

This Saric fascination is the weirdest and most inexplicable phenomenon I've ever encountered on this board.

Yeah, it's getting a little weird.  He does wear a cleft lip darn well, though.

I'm thinking we could throw in our BKN 2018 pick with IT for Canaan. That would make it fair.

As for a Saric obsession on this board, have we already forgotten about the Okafor obsession?

Mike
It is the 3rd rule of the universe. CsBlog must always have an obsession with a Philly big man.

I think the reason is that if we sign Hayward wed need to trade 1 of Crowder, Smart, Bradley, or Thomas(which would be dumb and would result in Hayward not signing). Signing Hayward also forces us to lose Jerebko Amir and Olynyk, so you need a powerforward in the trade.

The power forward has got to be on a rookie contract so you can absorb his salary in a trade and still clear the requisite space to get Hayward.

Thus the question becomes: Who is the best rookie contract PF who we can get for 1 or more of the 4 guys listed above.

The answer is Aaron Gordon or Dario Saric, hence the Saric obsession.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Thus the question becomes: Who is the best rookie contract PF who we can get for 1 or more of the 4 guys listed above.

The answer is Aaron Gordon or Dario Saric, hence the Saric obsession.
Indeed.  I am hoping the Gordon obsession has run its course, the guy is just not that good a basketball player, just another super-athlete.  I can suffer some Saric obsession for a while...

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 03:32:02 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
This has got to be a joke...Do people even think before they post nonsense on here?

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
IT was just voted one of the top four guards in the NBA. He's in his prime. You don't trade talents lol je that for rotation-level big men.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
IT was just voted one of the top four guards in the NBA. He's in his prime. You don't trade talents lol je that for rotation-level big men.
^^^^^^^This guy gets it.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Oh man, I am Croatian but this it too much. Have we became heartless hyenas to diss IT a day after he is injured?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
^^^^^^^This guy gets it.

Typos and all. I guess my phone needed to get a "lol" in there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
^^^^^^^This guy gets it.

IT is a one year rental who is going to be looking for MAX and now he has a serious injury.  He's not worth much at all on the trade market right now.  If Ainge has no intention of resigning IT, Saric would be a good return.   

What amazes me is why people on here would think the Sixers would trade Saric who has 3 years left on his rookie contract for 1 year rentals like AB and IT.  All the Sixers have to do is to wait a year and try to get them in free agency.  Personally I don't see them wanting IT but having some interest in AB.     

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 04:20:10 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I suspect the brass values IT less than many people here do, especially given we're less than a year out from trying to trade him. But you have to get more than that for him.

I think Saric is going to be a very good player. He may have to move on from Philly with their glut of big men. Would be nice if we could land him without giving up a lot, but that's a pipe dream.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 04:20:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

Yes. Is this some part of really extended gag by one or two posters together? He is a really nice bench player or perhaps an average starter if everything breaks right. Most Philly fans are thinking about ways to make him the bench scorer facilitator. He also only put up some big numbers in the last 3rd of the season when literally 25% of the league was tanking. During this same time players like Skal Labassiere, WCS and Buddy Hield put up really big numbers in meaningless game also. Why we would consider giving up a 2x all-star for a role player really has me scratching my head.

Also do people realize he has played professionally for years and is already 23? He obviously isn't old, but he is a full 3 years older than someone like Jaylen Brown. Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.

It's mind-boggling. I read Liberty Ballers occasionally, but I always tend to read it a bit more when the draft rolls around. Saric is universally viewed as a bench player over there. Why Celtics fans are convinced he's some star is baffling.
Is he viewed as a bench player because they have Embiid and Simmons or because they think he is a bench player?  I mean Crowder is starting here, but should be a bench player and is viewed as such by much of this board.  Heck people on here think Thomas should come off the bench.  Saric was a lottery pick when everyone in the draft knew he was staying in Europe for at least 2 years.  That just doesn't happen.  He showed pretty nice potential down the stretch when he got playing time (much the same way Brown did for Boston or Hield for Sacramento, etc.).  He is older because of his Europe time, but he also improved a great deal in his one season and will likely be the rookie of the year.

Winning rookie of the year this year is kind of like winning smartest Kardashian girl. There just was not a lot of contenders. To put this in perspective, He may not have even made an all-rookie team last year because I am pretty sure everyone would have him behind,  Towns, Turner, Porzginas,  Okafor (strong stats his rookie year and not fully exposed). He would be on second team conversation with Jokic and others (he scored a few more but rebounded, passed, stealed, blocked and shot significantly worse than Jokic).

To be honest, I think that is the same reason he is being overrated the same way MCW once was.

With respect to your first question, they aren't thinking he is 50 50 to be a bench player because of who is on their team, but because he has limitations and would seem to be ideal for being a facilitator/scorer off the bench.

Here is a quote from Sixers Sense "As they seek to turn the proverbial corner next season, though, Saric’s minutes are best used outside of the starting rotation, where his defensive deficiencies are minimized and his offensive repertoire is utilized to it’s fullest potential."

"For everything Dario showcased in regards to offensive talent, he often neutralized — in some capacity — with iffy performances on the other end. The Croatian was clearly adjusting to the pace of the NBA game at times, getting outworked by strong isolation threats and outmaneuvered by sly off-ball operators. He lacked the foot speed needed to contain quicker bigs off the bounce, while his athletic tools weren’t always up to par with some of the more imposing presences in the painted area."

https://thesixersense.com/2017/05/23/philadelphia-76ers-dario-saric-defensive-woes-6th-man/

I think that is pretty fair. Also to your point of the Crowder comparison. I agree with you that Crowder is ideally coming off the bench unless he is surrounded by superstars that are a perfect fit for him (if he started on some team with Curry, Klay, Crowder, Durant, Good big he would work fine). Crowder has had his games and moments where he looked like he could be an above starter. For example, March of last season, he averaged nearly 16 points a game 5.5 rebounds and 2 steals on 50% shooting while playing above average defense. On the balance though he would be a great bench player. That is what Saric would be too.

Now Saric for Crowder would not be a fair trade because of contract and age and the potential for a lot more growth from Saric. However, trading him for IT is ridiculous.

I also do think if Saric came out last year that would lead to less bizarre hype for him and a better understanding of his skillset by the posters on this board bizarrely treating him like an 18 year old future all-star. I''ll point out again he is 3 years older than Brown.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
^^^^^^^This guy gets it.

IT is a one year rental who is going to be looking for MAX and now he has a serious injury.  He's not worth much at all on the trade market right now.  If Ainge has no intention of resigning IT, Saric would be a good return.   

What amazes me is why people on here would think the Sixers would trade Saric who has 3 years left on his rookie contract for 1 year rentals like AB and IT.  All the Sixers have to do is to wait a year and try to get them in free agency.  Personally I don't see them wanting IT but having some interest in AB.     

^^^^ This guy doesn't get it.

Also trying to argue a horrible deal value-wise is ok if you don't plan on resigning a guy is a pretty dumb argument. If the Warriors don't plan on resigning Steph Curry Justin Holiday would be a nice young piece to add to their roster in a trade....

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 04:28:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
This trade makes the Celtics significantly worse in the present.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
This trade makes the Celtics significantly worse in the present.

And Future!

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Nah, Philly loses that trade.  IT for Isaiah Canaan is more realistic, both sides win. Boston could add sweetener as needed.

Yeah, it's getting a little weird.  He does wear a cleft lip darn well, though.

I'm thinking we could throw in our BKN 2018 pick with IT for Canaan. That would make it fair.

As for a Saric obsession on this board, have we already forgotten about the Okafor obsession?

Mike

I'm all for trading IT,  but that trade is awful.