Author Topic: Fultz will not start next year  (Read 12705 times)

Re: Fultz will not start next year
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
The kid is 19. I don't expect him to start next year. Rookies don't start on good teams. If they start, that means the team isn't very good.

Larry Bird says hi.  ;)

He's sorta the exception.  He's also the primary reason why that team went from crappy (29-53 in '78-79) to really good.   He started on a crappy team & immediately made it good.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The kid is 19. I don't expect him to start next year. Rookies don't start on good teams. If they start, that means the team isn't very good.

Larry Bird says hi.  ;)

Bird was 23 as a rookie.

Mike

« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2017, 02:43:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Larry Bird says hi.  ;)

He's sorta the exception.  He's also the primary reason why that team went from crappy (29-53 in '78-79) to really good.   He started on a crappy team & immediately made it good.
In addition, Larry was a 23 year old rookie.

« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

Larry Bird says hi.  ;)

And, of course, that too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Larry Bird says hi.  ;)

Bird was 23 as a rookie.

Mike

Yeah, but when he was 20 at Indiana St, he averaged 32.8 pts, 13.3 reb and 4.4 ast on 54% shooting.

I think he might have started then too

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2017, 03:50:32 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Larry Bird says hi.  ;)

A team with Tiny Archibald, Cedric Maxwell, Dave Cowens, Chris Ford, Gerald Henderson isn't really what you'd call crappy.

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148

Larry Bird says hi.  ;)

Yeah, so he had no upside!

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2017, 03:57:07 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
I mean realistically no he's probably not starting next year, especially if we keep Isaiah. I know Fultz/Isaiah can both play off ball but that would be a horrid defensive line up. Fultz has high defensive upside, but right now he's bad on that end. I mean Stevens had a short defensive leash for Brown who is a better defender coming out of college than Fultz is.

Fultz will be a fine defender. He has extraordinary length, and his chase down blocks are amazing.

I think he will eventually be a fine defender, maybe even very good, I'm just skeptical about how its gonna look in his first year. Even rookies with good defensive tools often time take a while to look the inns and outs of defense. One thing is for sure, if Fultz applies the same defensive effort in Boston as he did in college he wont play much. Washington's defense was bad, and fultz was a big part of the reason why.

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2017, 04:27:41 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think people think Smart and AB are just going to give up their roles for Fultz. He's in for a battle unless Ainge paves the way for him to start. This is why I said we'd digress if we have Fultz walk in starting. Brown can't even start over Crowder yet.

It takes time for rookies to learn and Fultz, Brown, Yabu and Zizic still have to take their lumps before we see any diamonds formed. Look at Rozier, he's just now showing flashes.
I don't think it's fair to compare Rozier to Fultz. You seriously think rookie Rozier is going to be at the same level as rookie Fultz? Come on.

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2017, 04:30:38 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I mean realistically no he's probably not starting next year, especially if we keep Isaiah. I know Fultz/Isaiah can both play off ball but that would be a horrid defensive line up. Fultz has high defensive upside, but right now he's bad on that end. I mean Stevens had a short defensive leash for Brown who is a better defender coming out of college than Fultz is.

Fultz will be a fine defender. He has extraordinary length, and his chase down blocks are amazing.

I think he will eventually be a fine defender, maybe even very good, I'm just skeptical about how its gonna look in his first year. Even rookies with good defensive tools often time take a while to look the inns and outs of defense. One thing is for sure, if Fultz applies the same defensive effort in Boston as he did in college he wont play much. Washington's defense was bad, and fultz was a big part of the reason why.
The team was dumped on Fultz, as a freshman, and he was tasked with producing an extraordinary amount on offense. That takes a lot of energy and helps explain some of his defensive intensity issues....

The 2 things that Fultz can do to improve his defense:
1. Change the position of his arms while defending and in the defensive stance. He puts his arms behind him while defending and on the drive. This makes him unbalanced and unathletic. Watch videos and you will see. Also many scouts have seen this and recognize that this will be something that must change in the NBA.

2. His core strength. He must improve his core strength (and overall strength) so he does not get bumped while defending the drive. Many instances of him defending in iso and the offensive player bumps him on the drive. The bump usually pushes him back a few feet and creates enough space for the offensive player to make a move.

Basically Fultz is a competitor and a basketball player. The 2 things I listed wrong with his defense (plus the energy he put out in college on offense) should naturally be taken care of.

IMO Fultz could be an elite defender. It looks like he has been hitting the weights everyday and I saw a video of him doing a dynamic kettle ball exercise for his core...which means nothing but gives me hope that his core (and legs) are improving along with his upper body..which looks jacked based on a photo from twitter ( which IMO did benefit from lighting...still impressive)

We can't rule out that by SUMMER LEAGUE his on ball defense is vastly improved.

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2017, 04:51:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Larry Bird says hi.  ;)

Yeah, so he had no upside!
The point wasn't upside. It was that he had a more developed body and game than Fultz because he was 4 years older so better equiped to start on a good team straight outta school.