Author Topic: Fultz will not start next year  (Read 12732 times)

Re: Fultz will not start next year
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2017, 06:01:05 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Here are the last 9 #1 picks. Fultz better be more KAT than Bennett if we take him.

2008   Chicago Bulls   Derrick Rose^    USA   Guard   Memphis   16.8   3.9   6.3   [93]
2009   Los Angeles Clippers   Blake Griffin^[y]    USA   Forward   Oklahoma   22.5   12.1   3.8   [95]
2010   Washington Wizards   John Wall^    USA   Guard   Kentucky   16.4   4.6   8.3   [96]
2011   Cleveland Cavaliers   Kyrie Irving^    USA[z]   Guard   Duke   18.5   3.7   5.4   [99]
2012   New Orleans Hornets   Anthony Davis^    USA   Forward/Center   Kentucky   13.5   8.2   1.0   [100]
2013   Cleveland Cavaliers   Anthony Bennett    CAN   Forward   UNLV   4.2   3.0   0.3   [101]
2014   Cleveland Cavaliers   Andrew Wiggins    CAN   Forward/Guard   Kansas   16.9   4.6   2.1   [102]
2015   Minnesota Timberwolves   Karl-Anthony Towns    USA[aa]   Center   Kentucky   18.3   10.4   2.0   [103]
2016   Philadelphia 76ers   Ben Simmons    AUS[ab]   Forward   LSU   —   —   —   [104]
2017   Boston Celtics   TBA            —   —   —

Which player is guaranteed?
Bennett was not in the same stratosphere as a prospect as Fultz.

If you take him and Simmons(who is yet to play) off the list, the worst player there is probably Andrew Wiggins...

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2017, 06:04:09 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
He might not start , but you can dang sure the consensus #1 pick WILL play and alot even on a good team. ....you drafted him because of his NBA readyness .  Can't let his years go to waste . He needs to be on the court .
He will play his way into the starting lineup regardless of who is on the team. His floor is higher than most posters care to believe and the KID can straight play.

Also, his defense will be killer.

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
He might not start , but you can dang sure the consensus #1 pick WILL play and alot even on a good team. ....you drafted him because of his NBA readyness .  Can't let his years go to waste . He needs to be on the court .
He will play his way into the starting lineup regardless of who is on the team. His floor is higher than most posters care to believe and the KID can straight play.

The odds that he is better than Bradley or Thomas by the end of the year are very low.

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2017, 06:09:44 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I say we sign Hayward in the offseason and draft Fultz.
I agree that Fultz won't start right away but he will see big minutes and anchor the second team as the PG there.

By the end of the season he could force himself into the starting rotation however.

1 Thomas
2 Fultz
3 Hayward
4 Crowder
5 Horford

Celtics do desperately need a big man upgrade though.  Might have to move some pieces to make it happen.  Unless Zizic is suddenly a revelation and that kicks Horford in to the 4?

1 Thomas
2 Fultz
3 Hayward
4 Horford
5 Zizic

If Fultz and Zizic are playing at very high levels, that's a contender lineup.  We will at least give Cleveland some headaches even if we don't quite get over the hump yet.

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

If IT is still on the team, he's not going to outplay him for the starting role.  If he gave 100 reasons to start, he'd be starting next to IT, not in place of him.  A high floor does not equate to 1st team All NBA performance in his rookie year.  And coaching is also about managing egos. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2017, 06:23:11 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Anything's possible, but the combination of being 19, being a guard, and playing for a good NBA team with some veteran backcourt talent makes the idea of Fultz seeing a lot of minutes a little less likely.  If he does get 15+ mpg, that is great news as I don't think CBS will play him if he is either hurting the team or if there are worries about hurting his confidence.   Not too many examples of 19 year old guards making a big impact on a good team.  I hope he's that good though.

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I don't know what "your typical rookie" is supposed to be. But he's an 18 year old with one partial season at the college level on a non-competitive team. He isn't starting unless we trade everyone, or have not hing to play for. You only need to look at Jaylen Brown to get a sense of the type of issues we'll be facing with Fultz.
Brown is way more raw than Fultz and half the prospect
Quick tangent: Fultz is not that explosive laterally.  His first step is not great.  He (barely) gets by random PAC-12 defenders and it's mostly due to having excellent body control and being crafty.  NBA athleticism is going to shake him.  Those long pull-up 2's off the bounce are taboo in the NBA.  To my eye, there's no guarantee his range even extends to NBA 3.  His shooting form could make it hard to extend 2-3 feet.  High release, flick-of-the-wrist.

I still think he's a great prospect, but he's not taking the NBA by storm.  NBA athletes are going to eat his lunch for a couple years, like most kids.

Save this post.
Please do.

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2017, 08:27:43 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He will start when Bradley gets hurt.  I think he'll be amazing on the second unit for awhile.  Finally someone off the bench who can create and score.   Not sure how you can already predict that his defense will be killer,  but it certainly looks like his offense will be.

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2017, 11:07:12 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The kid is 19. I don't expect him to start next year. Rookies don't start on good teams. If they start, that means the team isn't very good.

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2017, 01:21:05 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
The kid is 19. I don't expect him to start next year. Rookies don't start on good teams. If they start, that means the team isn't very good.

Larry Bird says hi.  ;)

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2017, 07:55:50 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Good teams pick 20-25, really good teams pick 25-30. We're picking #1, because Brooklyn is a really bad team.  If we picked Simmons#1 last year and he was healthy I think he would have stared at pf from day one.  The #1 pick tends to be special, especially if the team picking doesn't mess up the pick, eh ... * cough .. Bennett.

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2017, 08:10:18 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I mean realistically no he's probably not starting next year, especially if we keep Isaiah. I know Fultz/Isaiah can both play off ball but that would be a horrid defensive line up. Fultz has high defensive upside, but right now he's bad on that end. I mean Stevens had a short defensive leash for Brown who is a better defender coming out of college than Fultz is.

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2017, 08:42:17 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I mean realistically no he's probably not starting next year, especially if we keep Isaiah. I know Fultz/Isaiah can both play off ball but that would be a horrid defensive line up. Fultz has high defensive upside, but right now he's bad on that end. I mean Stevens had a short defensive leash for Brown who is a better defender coming out of college than Fultz is.

Fultz will be a fine defender. He has extraordinary length, and his chase down blocks are amazing.

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
He'll be a rookie on a team that just went to ECF he shouldn't start that's the beauty of it. He can come in a and learn at his pace and earn minutes on a good team like JB did this year. This is the absolute best case scenario, I'm pumped about it!

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Regardless of whether or not Fultz starts this year, if he is the pick, we need to play him next to IT as much as possible to see if that is a pairing that can work.

If it can't work, we have to either trade IT or let him walk in free agency. We only have a year to see if it will work.

Fultz needs to be developed like the franchise player you want your #1 pick to be. His development has to come before all other goals now that you have the pick.