Author Topic: Fultz will not start next year  (Read 12726 times)

Re: Fultz will not start next year
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Huh, I have a problem with a guy who only won 9 games in college and didn't play in the NCAA tourney. Is he that much better than any other rookie? I just keep thinking back to watching other rookies who were highly touted and they looked ok their rookie year but not world beaters.

I want to see or hear how these workouts go.

Well every point guard taken #1 that was highly touted actually were world beaters, so if the pattern holds he'll probably be starting by seasons end, even if its at the 2 next to IT.
going back to(but not including) Magic Johnson, the per game averages of a rookie point gaurd selected first overall are: 18.8/4.1/6.9 None averaged less than 16.4 points, 3.7 rebounds or 5.4 assists.

Also, none went to teams half as good as the Boston Celtics
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
It depends what we do in the offseason.

I think a very reasonable offseason would be trading Bradley and acquiring a power forward (Melo, Jamychal green, Dario Saric, etc etc doesnt really matter.

Then you have Thomas, Smart, Rozier, Fultz, Brown, Crowder, PF, Horford, Zizic, other bigs.

To start the season you would probably go:
Thomas
Brown or Smart
Crowder
PF
Horford

however, by the end of the year, Id fully expect that lineup to be:

Thomas
Fultz
Brown
PF
Horford

That's a pretty big downgrade to go from Bradley/Crowder to Fultz/Brown.   Why would we do that?  We have a chance to get to the Finals again next year, I'm not throwing that away for 1/2 a season of starting rookies....

Brown won't be a rookie and I question whether it will be that much or even any downgrade between him and Crodwer at this point.

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2017, 09:26:38 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

I think a very reasonable offseason would be trading Bradley and acquiring a power forward (Melo, Jamychal green, Dario Saric, etc etc doesnt really matter.

Then you have Thomas, Smart, Rozier, Fultz, Brown, Crowder, PF, Horford, Zizic, other bigs.

Thomas
Brown or Smart
Crowder
PF
Horford

Thomas
Fultz
Brown
PF
Horford
To start the season, you will probably not have Isaiah Thomas. Also, the "end of season" lineup that you're suggesting will only happen if  we have a record of 25-50 or something similar.
Fultz is not your typical rookie. I dont think it is too ridiculous to think he might be close to AB level by the end of his rookie season. He is leaps and bounds better than Jaylen was coming out of college.

Also, I am expecting something of a leap from Jaylen Brown. One which carries him over Jae Crowder.

I really dont see why we cant win 50 games while slowly transitioning from my start of the year lineup to my end of the year lineup. Especially if you can get a good powerforward in here.

I think he could easily start out ahead of Bradly offensively while well behind him defensively.

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

Thomas
Brown or Smart
Crowder
PF
Horford

Thomas
Fultz
Brown
PF
Horford

That's a pretty big downgrade to go from Bradley/Crowder to Fultz/Brown.   Why would we do that?  We have a chance to get to the Finals again next year, I'm not throwing that away for 1/2 a season of starting rookies....

Brown won't be a rookie and I question whether it will be that much or even any downgrade between him and Crodwer at this point.
Crowder is still a very good defender I am not sure Brown is there yet.   In my opinion Brown will be getting more minutes and pushing to get the starting position by year 3.

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 01:35:48 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
All this talk about Fultz not being happy with a smaller role as the No 1 pick seems just wrong.

He will get the highest rookie scale. He won't be expected to dominate in his first year - see Anthony Bennett). He will get to be a part of a team that genuinely believes (and justifiably believes) it is a real championship contender, and learn what that is supposed to feel like and how to get it.

Only problem I see is if Lonzo starts reaaally hot out of the blocks, his ego might take a beating...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Thomas
Brown or Smart
Crowder
PF
Horford

Thomas
Fultz
Brown
PF
Horford
To start the season, you will probably not have Isaiah Thomas. Also, the "end of season" lineup that you're suggesting will only happen if  we have a record of 25-50 or something similar.
Fultz is not your typical rookie. I dont think it is too ridiculous to think he might be close to AB level by the end of his rookie season. He is leaps and bounds better than Jaylen was coming out of college.

Also, I am expecting something of a leap from Jaylen Brown. One which carries him over Jae Crowder.

I really dont see why we cant win 50 games while slowly transitioning from my start of the year lineup to my end of the year lineup. Especially if you can get a good powerforward in here.

I think he could easily start out ahead of Bradly offensively while well behind him defensively.
Bradley scored 16.3 points on .463 / .390 shooting.  If Fultz tops that, he'd be in the Steph Curry / Kyrie range as far as rookie performance.  I think that's unlikely on the Celtics, but I could see it if he's a Sixer.

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't know what "your typical rookie" is supposed to be. But he's an 18 year old with one partial season at the college level on a non-competitive team. He isn't starting unless we trade everyone, or have not hing to play for. You only need to look at Jaylen Brown to get a sense of the type of issues we'll be facing with Fultz.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I don't know what "your typical rookie" is supposed to be. But he's an 18 year old with one partial season at the college level on a non-competitive team. He isn't starting unless we trade everyone, or have not hing to play for. You only need to look at Jaylen Brown to get a sense of the type of issues we'll be facing with Fultz.
Brown is way more raw than Fultz and half the prospect
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Quick tangent: Fultz is not that explosive laterally.  His first step is not great.  He (barely) gets by random PAC-12 defenders and it's mostly due to having excellent body control and being crafty.  NBA athleticism is going to shake him.  Those long pull-up 2's off the bounce are taboo in the NBA.  To my eye, there's no guarantee his range even extends to NBA 3.  His shooting form could make it hard to extend 2-3 feet.  High release, flick-of-the-wrist.

I still think he's a great prospect, but he's not taking the NBA by storm.  NBA athletes are going to eat his lunch for a couple years, like most kids.

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2017, 05:07:51 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
All this talk about Fultz not being happy with a smaller role as the No 1 pick seems just wrong.

He will get the highest rookie scale. He won't be expected to dominate in his first year - see Anthony Bennett). He will get to be a part of a team that genuinely believes (and justifiably believes) it is a real championship contender, and learn what that is supposed to feel like and how to get it.

Only problem I see is if Lonzo starts reaaally hot out of the blocks, his ego might take a beating...

What talk?   I've followed the kid very closely and nowhere have I heard any hint that Markelle is "not being happy with a smaller role as the No 1 pick".

If anything right after the lottery when presented with the question of having to earn time on a playoff team (Celtics) loaded with guards, he said he was eager to do whatever was asked of him.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Quick tangent: Fultz is not that explosive laterally.  His first step is not great.  He (barely) gets by random PAC-12 defenders and it's mostly due to having excellent body control and being crafty.  NBA athleticism is going to shake him.  Those long pull-up 2's off the bounce are taboo in the NBA.  To my eye, there's no guarantee his range even extends to NBA 3.  His shooting form could make it hard to extend 2-3 feet.  High release, flick-of-the-wrist.

I still think he's a great prospect, but he's not taking the NBA by storm.  NBA athletes are going to eat his lunch for a couple years, like most kids.

Save this post.

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Here are the last 9 #1 picks. Fultz better be more KAT than Bennett if we take him.

2008   Chicago Bulls   Derrick Rose^    USA   Guard   Memphis   16.8   3.9   6.3   [93]
2009   Los Angeles Clippers   Blake Griffin^[y]    USA   Forward   Oklahoma   22.5   12.1   3.8   [95]
2010   Washington Wizards   John Wall^    USA   Guard   Kentucky   16.4   4.6   8.3   [96]
2011   Cleveland Cavaliers   Kyrie Irving^    USA[z]   Guard   Duke   18.5   3.7   5.4   [99]
2012   New Orleans Hornets   Anthony Davis^    USA   Forward/Center   Kentucky   13.5   8.2   1.0   [100]
2013   Cleveland Cavaliers   Anthony Bennett    CAN   Forward   UNLV   4.2   3.0   0.3   [101]
2014   Cleveland Cavaliers   Andrew Wiggins    CAN   Forward/Guard   Kansas   16.9   4.6   2.1   [102]
2015   Minnesota Timberwolves   Karl-Anthony Towns    USA[aa]   Center   Kentucky   18.3   10.4   2.0   [103]
2016   Philadelphia 76ers   Ben Simmons    AUS[ab]   Forward   LSU   —   —   —   [104]
2017   Boston Celtics   TBA            —   —   —

Which player is guaranteed?

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Save this post.
LOL.
I think the truth is that you want all those things to be true. Why don't you just say trade the pick if that is how you feel after "scouting" him.

IMO Fultz is a killer. He is a killer from 3. He is a killer playmaker....and underrated in this area. He is a killer getting to the rim. He is a killer in the mid-range game. And he will be a killer defensively.

Fultz had the worst coach and disgusting team that clogged the lane/paint and shot horribly. People think that his college experience shows weakness in his game bc they lost....but it showed how nasty he was and the adversity he went through and the loyalty he has to stick with Washington.

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2017, 05:58:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He might not start , but you can dang sure the consensus #1 pick WILL play and alot even on a good team. ....you drafted him because of his NBA readyness .  Can't let his years go to waste . He needs to be on the court .

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

What talk?   I've followed the kid very closely and nowhere have I heard any hint that Markelle is "not being happy with a smaller role as the No 1 pick".

If anything right after the lottery when presented with the question of having to earn time on a playoff team (Celtics) loaded with guards, he said he was eager to do whatever was asked of him.
I think some C's fans want Fultz to say that, but he has not. He actually said he would do anything and would love to play with IT because they would be a nasty back-court.

Fultz wants a decent team because his style of game is better when he has legit shooters next to him.