Author Topic: Fultz will not start next year  (Read 12773 times)

Re: Fultz will not start next year
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I've noticed that if you cannot play defense or you have defensive breakdowns Stevens will sit you.  When KO is off, he's immediately on the bench. Unless you are a prolific scorer and he can deal with your defensive weaknesses...see IT, then he will play you. I don't see Fultz unseating AB or Smart for major minutes for that very reason.

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 01:11:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I remember before last season, a lot of people expected Jaylen Brown to spend most of the season in the D-League.  But this season they expect Fultz to start immediately.  From one extreme to the next.
have you checked to see whether these are the same people or not?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I expect Brown to improve to the point he earns a starting spot.

I expect the other spot to be a contest between Crowder, AB and Fultz (If none of them have been traded)

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
It depends what we do in the offseason.

I think a very reasonable offseason would be trading Bradley and acquiring a power forward (Melo, Jamychal green, Dario Saric, etc etc doesnt really matter.

Then you have Thomas, Smart, Rozier, Fultz, Brown, Crowder, PF, Horford, Zizic, other bigs.

To start the season you would probably go:
Thomas
Brown or Smart
Crowder
PF
Horford

however, by the end of the year, Id fully expect that lineup to be:

Thomas
Fultz
Brown
PF
Horford
To start the season, you will probably not have Isaiah Thomas. Also, the "end of season" lineup that you're suggesting will only happen if  we have a record of 25-50 or something similar.
Fultz is not your typical rookie. I dont think it is too ridiculous to think he might be close to AB level by the end of his rookie season. He is leaps and bounds better than Jaylen was coming out of college.

Also, I am expecting something of a leap from Jaylen Brown. One which carries him over Jae Crowder.

I really dont see why we cant win 50 games while slowly transitioning from my start of the year lineup to my end of the year lineup. Especially if you can get a good powerforward in here.

In Brad's system, if he isn't shooting the ball as well as Crowder from 3, not gonna happen.

People lose sight of it, but Brad will not play the kids unless he's getting what he needs out of them. I think he's good at developing talent, but i don't think he doles out opportunity to kids.
OK, so between Brown-Smart-Fultz, who starts at the 2 by the end of the season?

I don't think there are many Celtics that Danny Ainge's enjoys more than Avery Bradley. He paid him big bucks when we all thought that it was a bad contract. Bradley will always be a guy talked about when fans look at roster moves, but the reality is, he probably will be here for a long time.

I just don't see Ainge letting go of one of his personal favorites who is a model citizen, that he himself drafted. I say he gets paid another large contract before we ever see him leave.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 01:21:30 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

I think a very reasonable offseason would be trading Bradley and acquiring a power forward (Melo, Jamychal green, Dario Saric, etc etc doesnt really matter.

Then you have Thomas, Smart, Rozier, Fultz, Brown, Crowder, PF, Horford, Zizic, other bigs.

Thomas
Brown or Smart
Crowder
PF
Horford

Thomas
Fultz
Brown
PF
Horford
To start the season, you will probably not have Isaiah Thomas. Also, the "end of season" lineup that you're suggesting will only happen if  we have a record of 25-50 or something similar.
Fultz is not your typical rookie. I dont think it is too ridiculous to think he might be close to AB level by the end of his rookie season. He is leaps and bounds better than Jaylen was coming out of college.

Also, I am expecting something of a leap from Jaylen Brown. One which carries him over Jae Crowder.

I really dont see why we cant win 50 games while slowly transitioning from my start of the year lineup to my end of the year lineup. Especially if you can get a good powerforward in here.

In Brad's system, if he isn't shooting the ball as well as Crowder from 3, not gonna happen.

People lose sight of it, but Brad will not play the kids unless he's getting what he needs out of them. I think he's good at developing talent, but i don't think he doles out opportunity to kids.

I don't think there are many Celtics that Danny Ainge's enjoys more than Avery Bradley. He paid him big bucks when we all thought that it was a bad contract. Bradley will always be a guy talked about when fans look at roster moves, but the reality is, he probably will be here for a long time.

I just don't see Ainge letting go of one of his personal favorites who is a model citizen, that he himself drafted. I say he gets paid another large contract before we ever see him leave.
So its Smart who gets traded?

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20

Thomas
Brown or Smart
Crowder
PF
Horford

Thomas
Fultz
Brown
PF
Horford

So many things are in play, it's hard to guess. I think Ainge tries to keep the better play in Bradley no matter what, but it will all depend on the trade market imo. He's going to try to make deals, whoever is the key piece of a deal , goes imo.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 01:39:05 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

Thomas
Brown or Smart
Crowder
PF
Horford

Thomas
Fultz
Brown
PF
Horford

So many things are in play, it's hard to guess. I think Ainge tries to keep the better play in Bradley no matter what, but it will all depend on the trade market imo. He's going to try to make deals, whoever is the key piece of a deal , goes imo.
sure, but dont you think the distinct possibility exists where Avery is traded?

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Thomas
Brown or Smart
Crowder
PF
Horford

Thomas
Fultz
Brown
PF
Horford

Players can only play themselves into the starting lineup and tons of minutes. Simple as that.

Fultz and Jaylen Brown are players that grow EXPONENTIALLY. To rule either of them out for anything is foolish IMO. Fultz got cut from varsity as a soph and since his jr year has made YUUGE strides in his game in the off-season. Brown was taken #3 overall because he was the guy with the highest ceiling/ most potential/ highest reward and even before the regular season started he had already improved his 2 biggest weaknesses (finishing and the 3-pointer).

Fultz and Jaylen also have the length to defend multiple positions...
Fultz: 1-3
Brown:1-4...but mostly 2-4

I am extremely excited to plug Fultz into our strength and conditioning program and have him training/lifting/practicing full time as a pro.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 02:01:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I think that Fultz will get some starts next year. He's be backing up IT and Bradley. IT might not be ready to start the year after surgery and Bradley will mis some games due to injury.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
If you're starting a rookie that isn't named Magic Johnson, you're not a contender.  History bears this out.  We're trying to win now.

Fultz has never seen an NBA defender like Avery Bradley or Patrick Beverly.  It's going to be a rude awakening.  He could have a nice rookie season, but I'd be shocked if he's as good as Devin Booker, e.g.  He's not the savior.  He's not taking Marcus Smart's minutes.  He's not starting unless Stevens is desperate for playmaking while IT is hurt.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 02:28:05 PM »

• Ray Allen
If you're starting a rookie that isn't named Magic Johnson, you're not a contender.  History bears this out.  We're trying to win now.

Fultz has never seen an NBA defender like Avery Bradley or Patrick Beverly.  It's going to be a rude awakening.  He could have a nice rookie season, but I'd be shocked if he's as good as Devin Booker, e.g.  He's not the savior.  He's not taking Marcus Smart's minutes.  He's not starting unless Stevens is desperate for playmaking while IT is hurt.
Why don't you just be honest and say you would rather trade the pick? I think that may be better than making all those claims that you couldn't possibly know. Also, Magic is not the only rookie to help a contender. The #1 pick almost never goes to a team that is in contention.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 02:55:19 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

How do you know when we are trying to win?  And I'd be shocked if Fultz is not better than Booker.

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Here are the last 9 #1 picks. Fultz better be more KAT than Bennett if we take him.

2008   Chicago Bulls   Derrick Rose^    USA   Guard   Memphis   16.8   3.9   6.3   [93]
2009   Los Angeles Clippers   Blake Griffin^[y]    USA   Forward   Oklahoma   22.5   12.1   3.8   [95]
2010   Washington Wizards   John Wall^    USA   Guard   Kentucky   16.4   4.6   8.3   [96]
2011   Cleveland Cavaliers   Kyrie Irving^    USA[z]   Guard   Duke   18.5   3.7   5.4   [99]
2012   New Orleans Hornets   Anthony Davis^    USA   Forward/Center   Kentucky   13.5   8.2   1.0   [100]
2013   Cleveland Cavaliers   Anthony Bennett    CAN   Forward   UNLV   4.2   3.0   0.3   [101]
2014   Cleveland Cavaliers   Andrew Wiggins    CAN   Forward/Guard   Kansas   16.9   4.6   2.1   [102]
2015   Minnesota Timberwolves   Karl-Anthony Towns    USA[aa]   Center   Kentucky   18.3   10.4   2.0   [103]
2016   Philadelphia 76ers   Ben Simmons    AUS[ab]   Forward   LSU   —   —   —   [104]
2017   Boston Celtics   TBA            —   —   —   

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 03:21:14 PM »

• Ray Allen
Here are the last 9 #1 picks. Fultz better be more KAT than Bennett if we take him.

2008   Chicago Bulls   Derrick Rose^    USA   Guard   Memphis   16.8   3.9   6.3   [93]
2009   Los Angeles Clippers   Blake Griffin^[y]    USA   Forward   Oklahoma   22.5   12.1   3.8   [95]
2010   Washington Wizards   John Wall^    USA   Guard   Kentucky   16.4   4.6   8.3   [96]
2011   Cleveland Cavaliers   Kyrie Irving^    USA[z]   Guard   Duke   18.5   3.7   5.4   [99]
2012   New Orleans Hornets   Anthony Davis^    USA   Forward/Center   Kentucky   13.5   8.2   1.0   [100]
2013   Cleveland Cavaliers   Anthony Bennett    CAN   Forward   UNLV   4.2   3.0   0.3   [101]
2014   Cleveland Cavaliers   Andrew Wiggins    CAN   Forward/Guard   Kansas   16.9   4.6   2.1   [102]
2015   Minnesota Timberwolves   Karl-Anthony Towns    USA[aa]   Center   Kentucky   18.3   10.4   2.0   [103]
2016   Philadelphia 76ers   Ben Simmons    AUS[ab]   Forward   LSU   —   —   —   [104]
2017   Boston Celtics   TBA            —   —   —
PG's taken #1 have not busted like Bennet. 2013 was a an ENIGMA draft. Great players in it, but the best were not taken at the top of the draft.

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
I'm concerned with his defense and intensity. Offense like Lillard, defense like Harden.