Author Topic: Can Ainge build a super team?  (Read 7604 times)

Re: Can Ainge build a super team?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Build super team out of young 20's base: Brown, Smart, Fultz, 2018 Nets pick, 2019-20 Memphis pick, Yabs and Zizic.  Try to get lucky over the next 2-3 years with vets (Horford, IT, Crowder, Bradley), while grooming the young un's to take over.  That is how you build a super team.

Trying to build a late 20's super team to try to compete with GS makes little sense to me. Lucky to gave a chance to play in one or two finals.   A real super team is one that is very young, that can sustain a string of finals appearances over an 8 year span.  Now that would be fun.

I agree but don't expect any ECF or Finals while they learn that's all I'm saying. Look how long it took Curry and Klay to get to 3 straight Finals.

Does Stevens have patience to wait another 4 years? I doubt it, remember he wanted Melo this year. Stevens is ready to get this thing going.

Scratch my head. We are already in the ECF. Why can't I expect that to continue? I'm not advocating blowing up anything.  We will continue to get better, not worse.
Atlanta was in the ECF several years ago with a 60-win team. You can't catch lightning in a bottle every season.

Bingo!

Adding a top rookie isn't enough. We barely beat the Bulls and went nip and tuck with the Wiz. We need a major talent upgrade. We're starting a SF and C who should be coming off the bench. What could Stevens do if he had some real talent?

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 12:48:21 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
I sure hope so. I'm not somebody who believes that Cleveland or even GS are unbeatable, they don't scare me whatsoever, because i can see their weaknesses.

If we can build a team with length and athleticism 2-4 to cover up for IT4 and even Horford being undersized, we can do this.

If Danny can turn all of these BK picks and prospects into both Butler and George, while grabbing as good PF, we can beat ANYBODY. 

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Yes he can build a superteam. But he's not doing it your suggested way.
Where are you getting the money for this squad?

There is a salary cap.
 Fultz, Brown and Crowder are key to the next ship' because of their skill/input vs salary contributions.
By the time Fultz and Brown are up for big $$$, Horford and IT will be expiring and then another set of salary decisions comes into play.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2017, 02:05:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sign Griffin in free agency. Trade Crowder, Smart, and Fultz for George. Trade Bradley, BKN 18, BOS 18 for Butler.

PG - Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Butler, Green
SF - George, Brown
PF - Griffin, Mickey, Yabusele, Nader
C - Horford, Zizic

Sign a couple of vet minimum types to backup Griffin and for the backcourt.
I dont think the money works, that team has 0 depth, and thats a big overpay for Paul George...

but that starting 5 rivals GSW
Yeah Boston would need to sign and trade someone in the Butler trade but if you did the order of moves right I think that would work.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2017, 05:50:57 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
How can anyone say trade Crowder, Smart & Fultz for LA Boy George?

Am I missing something here? I wouldn't trade Fultz for George or Smart for 1 year of George. That IMO is absolutely ridiculous.

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2017, 06:18:34 PM »

Offline joepatsfan

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Other than Durant, Golden State drafted Curry, Thompson, and Green. The Celtics are in a position to draft 3 highly regarded prospects between Jaylen Brown, Markelle Fultz and next years Nets #1 pick. If Danny stays the course, then there's a chance the Celtics are the East coast version of Golden State. There's your Celtics super team right there.

BING BING

Jaylen, Fultz and either Porter or Ayton next year makes a nasty lengthy athletic big 3

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
How can anyone say trade Crowder, Smart & Fultz for LA Boy George?

Am I missing something here? I wouldn't trade Fultz for George or Smart for 1 year of George. That IMO is absolutely ridiculous.
If you put Butler, Griffin, Thomas and Horford around George the odds he walks in FA would become miniscule.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2017, 06:26:46 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Other than Durant, Golden State drafted Curry, Thompson, and Green. The Celtics are in a position to draft 3 highly regarded prospects between Jaylen Brown, Markelle Fultz and next years Nets #1 pick. If Danny stays the course, then there's a chance the Celtics are the East coast version of Golden State. There's your Celtics super team right there.

BING BING

Jaylen, Fultz and either Porter or Ayton next year makes a nasty lengthy athletic big 3

I can't imagine Brooklyn being this bad again. Let alone us getting lucky with the top 3 pick AGAIN.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Unfortunately Klay has become the 4th option with the Warriors. I wonder will he want out after the Finals. :-) He's making $17M and KD and Curry are about to make $30M apiece. He sure would look good in green.

Imagine him playing for us in last night's game, in Steven's offense, in pick and roll with Horford. That game is over with a 16 point lead. Him and AB switching and off and on with Irving.

Forget Fultz, call the Warriors and see what they want for him.

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Four pages to basically say go get Klay Thompson. Has there been a single rumor that he's even available? I haven't heard a single rumor that this guy can even be had.