Author Topic: Can Ainge build a super team?  (Read 7605 times)

Can Ainge build a super team?
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
It looks like that's what it will take to compete with the Warriors to win anymore rings.

It takes winning, cap space and sacrifice by some players. You have to get 4 max players and a few bench vets. The cap will be at $103M.

If you pay 4 guys $25M, you have to go into the lux tax and pay about $110M to compete.

I think we have to trade both Nets picks. It will take Fultz too long to develop.

My super team if possible
PG-Marcus Smart\Rozier
SG-Klay Thompson (for Nets #1, AB) - Already under contract
SF-Gordon Hayward\Jaylen Brown
PF-Paul George (for IT, 2018 Nets #1, Crowder, KO)
C-Al Horford

Sign Taj Gibson
Sign Z Bo

The Warriors have to re-up both Curry and KD and may be willing to part with Klay now.

Re: Can Ainge build a super team?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:32:10 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Here's what you have to have to beat the Warriors and Cavs.

Perimeter defense and interior rebounding.

Smart, Klay, PG and Hayward can all defend multiple positions. Gibson, ZBo and Horford give us a presence inside. We still have 3 point shooting with Hayward, Klay and PG.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Focus for now should be trying to make the Finals.

In a few years Golden State will be much more beatable.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
I thought of that but this team isn't old. Klay, PG and Hayward aren't even 28 years old.

So you're saying we're building now for 2021-2025? That's what we're looking at for Brown, Fultz and the Nets 2018 #1 to really get playoff ready.

I'd rather win from 2018-2022 when all these guys will be in their 30s and at the end of their contracts.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »

Offline alfordandterrald

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
It looks like that's what it will take to compete with the Warriors to win anymore rings.

It takes winning, cap space and sacrifice by some players. You have to get 4 max players and a few bench vets. The cap will be at $103M.

If you pay 4 guys $25M, you have to go into the lux tax and pay about $110M to compete.

I think we have to trade both Nets picks. It will take Fultz too long to develop.

My super team if possible
PG-Marcus Smart\Rozier
SG-Klay Thompson (for Nets #1, AB) - Already under contract
SF-Gordon Hayward\Jaylen Brown
PF-Paul George (for IT, 2018 Nets #1, Crowder, KO)
C-Al Horford

Sign Taj Gibson
Sign Z Bo

The Warriors have to re-up both Curry and KD and may be willing to part with Klay now.

Giving the Warriors AB sounds like a truly upsetting idea.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 10:48:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What I do not understand from this (and most of these super team trade ideas); if this is a dream scenario, why do we keep seeing SFs making the max have to play out of position at PF?

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
I know but Klay is a 6'7 assassin who can also play great defense. Imagine him with Hayward and PG on both ends of the court. They could put up 30 and hold you to 15.

Smart and Klay would remind me of DJ and Ainge in the backcourt.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
What I do not understand from this (and most of these super team trade ideas); if this is a dream scenario, why do we keep seeing SFs making the max have to play out of position at PF?

Where have you been? The league is playing small ball and shooting 3s. It's harder for a true PF to play on the perimeter. Look who's playing center for the Cavs and Warriors...TT and McGee.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:54:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Ainge can absolutely build a super-team.  The question is what sort of budget ownership is willing to give him for a superteam, and how long do you want the super team to stay together.  In two seasons, the starting lineup for your proposed team will cost $130 million on its own. That's already past the luxury tax.  Even if we say your trades are possible (I'm not going to spend the effort), that team will likely cost about $200 million in salary and luxury tax.

Super teams are expensive.  Cleveland and Golden State both have two players who signed max deals before the cap spike -- that's why the rest of the league is waiting for two more years for that advantage to subside.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Other than Durant, Golden State drafted Curry, Thompson, and Green. The Celtics are in a position to draft 3 highly regarded prospects between Jaylen Brown, Markelle Fultz and next years Nets #1 pick. If Danny stays the course, then there's a chance the Celtics are the East coast version of Golden State. There's your Celtics super team right there.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 10:56:55 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Didn't he already build one?

Question is, can he do it again?  He certainly has the tools to do it.  A few more good decisions and a whole lot of luck and you'll have your super team again.
Yup

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
1. The Warriors are not giving up in a trade any of their big players.
2. We are going to draft Fultz to keep him for many years.

So that's the end of the story.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 11:05:49 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
It's fine if we draft Fultz and next year's #1 but just don't expect to be in the ECF for the next 3 years. The Cavs, Wiz and Bucks are all right there. We'd be digressing and we have to hope none of those teams get Butler, PG, Hayward or anyone else.

I'm with Pierce on this, you can't go backwards now. We have to build off this and how long can we hold onto Stevens if we're a 4th seed next year by drafting Fultz?

I think Klay will be expendable. What are Curry and KD going to sign for...at least $30M per while Klay is at $17M

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 11:09:37 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Where have you been? The league is playing small ball and shooting 3s. It's harder for a true PF to play on the perimeter. Look who's playing center for the Cavs and Warriors...TT and McGee.

Plus Love at PF.   Green at PF.  Actual PFs.  Not SFs.

Who has started and played a SF major minutes at PF and been successful in the NBA?

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 11:13:52 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Yes, by the 2018-2019 season

We get Hayward, and only lose Crowder.
We get an aggressive young big in 2018 draft that can make the rotation
Yabusele and/or Zizc become a legit rotation big
Year 2 Fultz becomes a 18 ppg scorer and good defender
Year 3 Brown becomes a 15 ppg scorer and defensive monster

None of these things is particularly unrealistic, but none of them are sure things either. In 2 years, the GS bench will be hollowed out. We would have a legit chance by then.