Author Topic: Can Ainge build a super team?  (Read 7633 times)

Re: Can Ainge build a super team?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 11:48:29 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'm not expecting Fultz to start next year. But I think he will help improve the scoring on the second unit. The drop off in scoring from the bench hurt many times this year, especially with giving Isaiah any chance to rest. So if the Celtics do get lucky and sign Hayward, then it's possible that we still have Crowder, who could come off the bench. That second unit will be so much better, which will help the team overall. I don't think an improvement like that can be underestimated.

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 11:51:10 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
We made the ECF This year. Cleveland will lose players next year and if we rise we may get the good buyout players. We add three good rookies and FA big plus AB and Smart will have imporved games. All is well.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sign Griffin in free agency. Trade Crowder, Smart, and Fultz for George. Trade Bradley, BKN 18, BOS 18 for Butler.

PG - Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Butler, Green
SF - George, Brown
PF - Griffin, Mickey, Yabusele, Nader
C - Horford, Zizic

Sign a couple of vet minimum types to backup Griffin and for the backcourt.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'm not expecting Fultz to start next year. But I think he will help improve the scoring on the second unit. The drop off in scoring from the bench hurt many times this year, especially with giving Isaiah any chance to rest. So if the Celtics do get lucky and sign Hayward, then it's possible that we still have Crowder, who could come off the bench. That second unit will be so much better, which will help the team overall. I don't think an improvement like that can be underestimated.

Good point. Now ask yourself can Fultz off the bench give us more than Rozier has given us in 2 years? Keep in mind he's a rookie. We're looking at 12-15 mins a game and average 6 points...maybe.

If we trade the pick we get major production from day one on guys that aren't even 28 yrs old but have playoff experience.

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 11:54:33 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
"Crowder / Smart / Fultz for ... Paul George"

?????

I wouldn't even trade Fultz straight up for George.

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 11:55:11 AM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Sign Griffin in free agency. Trade Crowder, Smart, and Fultz for George. Trade Bradley, BKN 18, BOS 18 for Butler.

SG - Butler, Green
SF - George, Brown
C - Horford, Zizic

I dont think the money works, that team has 0 depth, and thats a big overpay for Paul George...

but that starting 5 rivals GSW

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney

SG - Butler, Green
SF - George, Brown
C - Horford, Zizic

I even like this...now you got it. This is the type of influx of talent we need.

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Build super team out of young 20's base: Brown, Smart, Fultz, 2018 Nets pick, 2019-20 Memphis pick, Yabs and Zizic.  Try to get lucky over the next 2-3 years with vets (Horford, IT, Crowder, Bradley), while grooming the young un's to take over.  That is how you build a super team.

Trying to build a late 20's super team to try to compete with GS makes little sense to me. Lucky to gave a chance to play in one or two finals.   A real super team is one that is very young, that can sustain a string of finals appearances over an 8 year span.  Now that would be fun.

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Build super team out of young 20's base: Brown, Smart, Fultz, 2018 Nets pick, 2019-20 Memphis pick, Yabs and Zizic.  Try to get lucky over the next 2-3 years with vets (Horford, IT, Crowder, Bradley), while grooming the young un's to take over.  That is how you build a super team.

Trying to build a late 20's super team to try to compete with GS makes little sense to me. Lucky to gave a chance to play in one or two finals.   A real super team is one that is very young, that can sustain a string of finals appearances over an 8 year span.  Now that would be fun.

I agree but don't expect any ECF or Finals while they learn that's all I'm saying. Look how long it took Curry and Klay to get to 3 straight Finals.

Does Stevens have patience to wait another 4 years? I doubt it, remember he wanted Melo this year. Stevens is ready to get this thing going.

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
It's fine if we draft Fultz and next year's #1 but just don't expect to be in the ECF for the next 3 years. The Cavs, Wiz and Bucks are all right there. We'd be digressing and we have to hope none of those teams get Butler, PG, Hayward or anyone else.

I'm with Pierce on this, you can't go backwards now. We have to build off this and how long can we hold onto Stevens if we're a 4th seed next year by drafting Fultz?

Explain this to me.

We keep this team, draft Fultz, maybe get a good FA next summer and we are going backwards.

LOL. Pure logic.

LOL, I was thing the same thing. TP

TP back, we posted the same simultaneously.

And don't forget Zizic. He'll come here after competing in the strong Euroleague, not in college. So he'll be ready to play since day one.

I'm just keeping it real so we think soberly.

Name one Euro that has come over and torn it up? Zizic and Yabu will also be rookies. I'm not saying we can't be good in 2020 but it depends on what are expectations are for winning now and paying IT, AB, KO. Again, I trust Ainge in FA\trades, not in drafts.

Euros to play consistently since day one? Right (those were my words, we are seeing you try to manipulate every answer, but not with me).

Porzingis, Bogdanovic, Nurkic, Giannis, Valanciunas, Rubio, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Scola, Garbajosa, Krstic, Ginobili, Kirilenko, Parker, Turkoglu, Radmanovic, Ilgauskas, Kukoc, Radja...

Do I need to go on?

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
It's fine if we draft Fultz and next year's #1 but just don't expect to be in the ECF for the next 3 years. The Cavs, Wiz and Bucks are all right there. We'd be digressing and we have to hope none of those teams get Butler, PG, Hayward or anyone else.

I'm with Pierce on this, you can't go backwards now. We have to build off this and how long can we hold onto Stevens if we're a 4th seed next year by drafting Fultz?

Explain this to me.

We keep this team, draft Fultz, maybe get a good FA next summer and we are going backwards.

LOL. Pure logic.

And don't forget Zizic. He'll come here after competing in the strong Euroleague, not in college. So he'll be ready to play since day one.

Name one Euro that has come over and torn it up? Zizic and Yabu will also be rookies. I'm not saying we can't be good in 2020 but it depends on what are expectations are for winning now and paying IT, AB, KO. Again, I trust Ainge in FA\trades, not in drafts.

Euros to play consistently since day one? Right (those were my words, we are seeing you try to manipulate every answer, but not with me).

Porzingis, Bogdanovic, Nurkic, Giannis, Valanciunas, Rubio, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Scola, Garbajosa, Krstic, Ginobili, Kirilenko, Parker, Turkoglu, Radmanovic, Ilgauskas, Kukoc, Radja...

Do I need to go on?

No I didn't say they weren't goo because they are but I'm saying come into the league and play a major role. Pau didn't do a thing until he got to the Lakers. It took all of them some time and if Zizic will be a rookie we'd be lucky if he's Porzingis his first year where we see flashes. He's not going to be Dirk and come in avg a double\double. Porzingis would be a great measuring stick.

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2017, 12:20:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I agree but don't expect any ECF or Finals while they learn that's all I'm saying. Look how long it took Curry and Klay to get to 3 straight Finals.

Does Stevens have patience to wait another 4 years? I doubt it, remember he wanted Melo this year. Stevens is ready to get this thing going.

Scratch my head. We are already in the ECF. Why can't I expect that to continue? I'm not advocating blowing up anything.  We will continue to get better, not worse.

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2017, 12:23:35 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Once Fultz is actually on the team and playing, all this "trade the BKN picks for a super team" talk will disappear and all of a sudden Fultz will become untouchable.

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2017, 12:24:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Scratch my head. We are already in the ECF. Why can't I expect that to continue? I'm not advocating blowing up anything.  We will continue to get better, not worse.
Atlanta was in the ECF several years ago with a 60-win team. You can't catch lightning in a bottle every season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 12:27:11 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Explain this to me.

LOL. Pure logic.

Do I need to go on?

No I didn't say they weren't goo because they are but I'm saying come into the league and play a major role. Pau didn't do a thing until he got to the Lakers. It took all of them some time and if Zizic will be a rookie we'd be lucky if he's Porzingis his first year where we see flashes. He's not going to be Dirk and come in avg a double\double. Porzingis would be a great measuring stick.

I give up. Rookie of the year, regular 18-9-3-2 guy, took a bad Grizzlies team to playoffs and all-star. And MVP of the World Championship in 2006, for example.

Yes, he didn't do a thing until he got to the Lakers. Go on living in a parallel reality, I surrender  ::)