Author Topic: Can Ainge build a super team?  (Read 7603 times)

Re: Can Ainge build a super team?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
No you have it wrong. Love has played C, Green has played C, KD has played PF.

Every position on the frontline is position-less now and all are interchangeable.

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 11:16:12 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
It's fine if we draft Fultz and next year's #1 but just don't expect to be in the ECF for the next 3 years. The Cavs, Wiz and Bucks are all right there. We'd be digressing and we have to hope none of those teams get Butler, PG, Hayward or anyone else.

I'm with Pierce on this, you can't go backwards now. We have to build off this and how long can we hold onto Stevens if we're a 4th seed next year by drafting Fultz?

I think Klay will be expendable. What are Curry and KD going to sign for...at least $30M per while Klay is at $17M

In what world does rolling back this current years squad (depending on which guard gets moved for PF help), while adding an assasin to our bench make us regress? This is before we possibly add Hayward to the core without giving up assets (Well technically thinning out our bench due to cap restraints.)

So adding 2 good to great scorers to this current core makes us regress? I just don't see that sorry. This is on top of our young guys getting better.

Edit: the only way this team regresses next year is if Horford or IT take a large step down. And those players would be necessary if we were going all in and burning assets now anyway.

Replacing Roziers spot with Fultz makes us better no matter how you look at it.
#JKJB

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 11:18:35 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Every position on the frontline is position-less now and all are interchangeable.

So Thomas is not averaging 33 minutes a game? 

GS two headed C is not averaging 26 minutes a game?   plus West playing 14 minutes a game.

GS does play smaller then most teams because they have a rare talent in Green.

But Cleveland is playing big.

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 11:21:03 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I am not trading Fultz and Bradley for Klay.

I am not trading IT, Nets '18 (potential top-5 pick), KO, and Jae for a year of PG13.

If I'm Danny Ainge, I look to add pieces now to make us better (Hayward, rebounder, etc.), while also building the future. We are undoubtedly a top-5 team right now. Where within those five remains to be seen. Just adding a talent like Fultz to the bench is big. Add a rebounder (one with experience and/or Zizic) makes us even more dangerous. If we can land a star to bolster our starting unit, we will have no holes.

I'll take a 60-win team next year with Rozier, Smart, Brown, Fultz, Zizic all 23 or younger.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
He can, but this time it will be in a different way than the Big Three was assembled. And, it will take some time.

Never underestimate Danny Ainge.

Notre Dame learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago in the NCAAs when the then-BYU Cougar went one-on-five to beat the Irish at the buzzer in the process of announcing to the world that it was dealing with an authentically bad-ass white boy and would be for quite some time.

I remember how tickled I was when he wound up with the Celtics. He certainly hasn't disappointed except on occasion in the draft.  :)

More good times are on the way.

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
It's fine if we draft Fultz and next year's #1 but just don't expect to be in the ECF for the next 3 years. The Cavs, Wiz and Bucks are all right there. We'd be digressing and we have to hope none of those teams get Butler, PG, Hayward or anyone else.

I'm with Pierce on this, you can't go backwards now. We have to build off this and how long can we hold onto Stevens if we're a 4th seed next year by drafting Fultz?

Explain this to me.

We keep this team, draft Fultz, maybe get a good FA next summer and we are going backwards.

LOL. Pure logic.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I think Klay will be expendable. What are Curry and KD going to sign for...at least $30M per while Klay is at $17M

I feel like the duck from the Aflac commercial, when he starts shaking his head. The Celtics are in the eastern conference finals now and were the number 1 seed this year. The Celtics have room to sign a max player and have the #1 pick in the upcoming draft. How exactly are they going to be a number 4 seed and not competing for the eastern conference finals after being able to improve this off season?

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
See, I have no problem trading at a discount for PG13 and daring him to sign for the Fakers after we storm the Eastern Conference. 

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 11:30:40 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Ainge can absolutely build a super-team.  The question is what sort of budget ownership is willing to give him for a superteam, and how long do you want the super team to stay together.  In two seasons, the starting lineup for your proposed team will cost $130 million on its own. That's already past the luxury tax.  Even if we say your trades are possible (I'm not going to spend the effort), that team will likely cost about $200 million in salary and luxury tax.

Super teams are expensive.  Cleveland and Golden State both have two players who signed max deals before the cap spike -- that's why the rest of the league is waiting for two more years for that advantage to subside.

I will be very interested to see what Ainge is 'allowed' to do with his future signings. Our max guys will be much more expensive than their max guys. I prefer the draft Fultz, sign Hayward, and trade AB approach.

Also, it must drive you crazy every time somebody includes Crowder in a deal like he is on the same plane as Smart or AB in terms of future value to this team. That salary is so ridiculously important to allowing us to have as super of a team as possible.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 11:30:51 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

Explain this to me.

We keep this team, draft Fultz, maybe get a good FA next summer and we are going backwards.

LOL. Pure logic.

LOL, I was thing the same thing. TP

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 11:31:56 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Fultz will be a rookie. Please don't expect him to come in and average 15ppg.

If we add just Hayward how many more wins does he give us? Can we beat the Cavs with Hayward?

So Fultz and Crowder come off the bench...this isn't enough. We need a influx of talent and I'm tired of waiting on rookies.

I trust Ainge in FA\trades, I don't trust Ainge in drafts...just look at Young, Mickey, KO. Our draft picks haven't really produced much. He's done much better with getting guys like IT, Horford.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 11:34:31 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Explain this to me.

LOL. Pure logic.

TP back, we posted the same simultaneously.

And don't forget Zizic. He'll come here after competing in the strong Euroleague, not in college. So he'll be ready to play since day one.

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 11:36:56 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney

Explain this to me.

LOL. Pure logic.

Guys, Fultz isn't going to be David Robinson and make us 15 games better. He's going to be a rookie and will struggle and be lost. Hayward may give us 5 more wins but again we need talent.

You would rather take Fultz than to dangle the pick for PG, Klay, Butler, Porzingis or any other All Star and think we're going to be better next year? I don't see it.

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 11:38:13 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Paul George tell his coach that he would not play PF? He is a SF, and that is the only position he wants to play?

The league may be position-less at times during the game, but not in the starting line up.

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 11:43:24 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney

Explain this to me.

LOL. Pure logic.

TP back, we posted the same simultaneously.

And don't forget Zizic. He'll come here after competing in the strong Euroleague, not in college. So he'll be ready to play since day one.

I'm just keeping it real so we think soberly.

Name one Euro that has come over and torn it up? Zizic and Yabu will also be rookies. I'm not saying we can't be good in 2020 but it depends on what are expectations are for winning now and paying IT, AB, KO. Again, I trust Ainge in FA\trades, not in drafts.