Author Topic: Could the Celtics get that lucky?  (Read 1613 times)

Could the Celtics get that lucky?
« on: May 22, 2017, 05:39:58 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
First we get Markelle Fultz in 2017.

Followed next by

DeAndre Ayton in 2018?

We'd have added a franchise scoring guard and a franchise rim protecting big man if that happened.

Now that we have exorcised the lottery curse, Who believes?  Thank you Danny for engineering the Herschel Walker trade of the NBA, the gift that keeps giving.  And thank you Brooklyn Nets!  Your generosity might lead to the Celtics next generation as well as Championship Banners #18, 19, 20 etc.!

Re: Could the Celtics get that lucky?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
That's why we have to keep the Nets 2018 pick. Just be patient and build through the draft. No Paul George for me. Draft Fultz this year and either Ayton or Bamba next year.

Fultz - Smart
Bradley- Brown
Hayward - Crowder
Ayton/Bamba - Yabu
Horford - Zizic

That's a team with an open contention window for the next decade or so.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 05:58:55 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Perhaps.  Obviously a lot can change in a year but next year's draft has three bigs at the top.  Along with Ayton, you also have Michael Porter and Bamba.  Yeah, might as well keep the pick in case lady luck shines on us again.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 06:04:46 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
That's why we have to keep the Nets 2018 pick. Just be patient and build through the draft. No Paul George for me. Draft Fultz this year and either Ayton or Bamba next year.

Fultz - Smart
Bradley- Brown
Hayward - Crowder
Ayton/Bamba - Yabu
Horford - Zizic

That's a team with an open contention window for the next decade or so.

Wow. Absolutely loaded.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
 ;D
Ha-ha!  With our 'luck' the BKN 18 pick will end up #1 overall again and the consensus pick will be ... Luka Doncic, who right now should be the hands-down #1 overall.

Point guard.

(To be fair, he's a freaking 6' 8" point guard who if he added weight could probably play SF.  He's only 18 and will probably add a lot of weight.)

Or maybe Michael Porter, a PF/SF combo forward ... who is committed to the U of W.  He can join Isaiah & Markelle as we fill the Celtics roster with former Huskies!

Personally, I would love if we can land Ayton or Bamba but they aren't the only elite talent currently expected to come out in the 2018 draft.

Right now, it looks like if we get a pick anywhere in the lottery we should be able to get a very good player.  Especially a big guy.  There are about 8 PF/C bigs who currently are in the top 20 of every early 2018 mock ranking that I've seen.

That's all more than a year away, of course.  Lots can and will happen to change the draft order of these guys.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Michael Porter looks awfully good to me, but there are a lot of talented bigs next year. Hoping for another top-3 pick.

Mike