Author Topic: there are a lot of posters eating crow  (Read 5801 times)

Re: there are a lot of posters eating crow
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 10:34:53 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Yes Smart played out of his mind. LeBron had one of his worst games in years. But overall, the shooting was pretty even, and the calls definitely went their way. We didn't win because we got hot and they didn't.

We figured out how to defend them. We got our defensive mojo back. We were getting run right off the court until the second half of game three. If we can keep the pace under control and one or two players gets hot, we can win against these guys.

We've also got a much better coach, and the longer this goes, the more that helps. I also think Bradley has a big game left in him. It would be a lot of fun if they stole the game tonight

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 10:38:45 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It was a great comeback, but does it change anything, really?

We fell down by 21. The Celts kept fighting, but I don't think the game said much about the relative strength of our teams. Same thing with Marcus Smart. It was an awesome shooting display, but for right now, it seems fluky.
yes, it does. it changes the atmosphere on cb and elsewhere. haven't you even noticed how proud and happy we all were? realisitically, i doubt may folks expected the celtics to respond the way they did....stomped in two straight games, down by 21, IT out.

it was fun to watch the comeback (plus hard on my heart. :) )

it always at all times in every way about the series win. there are games within games. events within events.

why not enjoy the moment, i certainly have.  ;D

I enjoyed the moment, but having people being told to "eat crow" over a fluke rubs me the wrong way a bit.

I'm not a Smart basher, and I noted that I wouldn't be surprised to see the Celts win multiple games. But, does Smart getting hot in unprecedented fashion mean his detractors were wrong? Are the Celtics suddenly right on the heals of the Cavs?

Anybody who was a skeptic is still justified in being a skeptic, and anybody who is a unabashed optimist can hold onto that. I just don't see the need to call others out, similar to how I wouldn't have approved of an "I told you so" thread after Marcus went 0-6 in Game 2.

That's classic Rollie. Lightning quick to start a thread when a player does well (see Gerald Green), but deafly silent when a player performs poorly (also see Gerald Green).

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Yes Smart played out of his mind. LeBron had one of his worst games in years. But overall, the shooting was pretty even, and the calls definitely went their way. We didn't win because we got hot and they didn't.

We figured out how to defend them. We got our defensive mojo back. We were getting run right off the court until the second half of game three. If we can keep the pace under control and one or two players gets hot, we can win against these guys.

We've also got a much better coach, and the longer this goes, the more that helps. I also think Bradley has a big game left in him. It would be a lot of fun if they stole the game tonight

Great points.

I don't think enough weight is being given to the unbalanced officiating which, per the usual, is not in the Celtics favor and in this series is verging on the surreal. Inject a minimum of balance/fairness, and things could get very tight which is, of course, the last thing the NBA and the networks want.

The important thing now for the Cs is: make and keep it old school, one possession at a time, tough D, and all that, and thereby give Avery, and others, multiple chances to duplicate the Jimmie Chitwood in Hoosiers thing to win the game.

Three more of them, in fact. :)

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 11:28:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Great points.

I don't think enough weight is being given to the unbalanced officiating which, per the usual, is not in the Celtics favor and in this series is verging on the surreal. Inject a minimum of balance/fairness, and things could get very tight which is, of course, the last thing the NBA and the networks want.

The important thing now for the Cs is: make and keep it old school, one possession at a time, tough D, and all that, and thereby give Avery, and others, multiple chances to duplicate the Jimmie Chitwood in Hoosiers thing to win the game.

there are a number of factors that could shift that would be in the C's favor and give them a legitimate chance in game 4:
- There's a closer balance in fouls called on each team.  I would never expect an equal number because as we all know Lebron never fouls ::)  but a 23 to 11 imbalance for Cleveland is ridiculous.  We can only hope someone in charge saw that farce of an officiating bias and talked to the officials.  unlikely but one can hope.  36 to 12 in FTs taken is just egregiously biased officiating.
- Crowder, AB and Horford don't shoot a combined 21 for 55 - 38%.  Particularly AB going 8-23 is just abysmal.
- Brown and Rozier coming off the bench to provide more than 2 points. 
- Kevin Love not shooting 7-13 from 3.
- Kyrie Irving not shooting 10-15 including 4-6 from 3. 
- Tristan Thompson not getting 7 offensive rebounds and shooting 12-15 from the FT line.

Granted, we didn't get Bron's best game thrown at us nor are we likely to see Smart provide that kind of offense or shooting again this series or JJ providing that much offense off the bench but there's a lot of things that could go the C's way that would just be an adjustment to the mean rather than them having to have a miracle to win.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 12:10:01 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'd like sometimes that fans keep it real, specially celtics fans.
Smart shot 34.4% 3s last season in the playoffs. And everbody was making fun of him (Cs fan, Reggie Miller, etc.).
This playoff season Smart is doing even better but the entire season a lot of Cs fans wanted him to stop shooting the 3s.
On the contrary, the entire nba swear on the wizards because of Beal and Wall.
Well Beal shot 28% 3s this post season. Before he get injured. Yet nobody talked about it, he's still a great talent.
What a circus the nba is sometimes.
I'm glad Brad, Danny keep it real and work hard for some of us who simply see things as they are.

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 12:15:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Great points.

there are a number of factors that could shift that would be in the C's favor and give them a legitimate chance in game 4:
- There's a closer balance in fouls called on each team.  I would never expect an equal number because as we all know Lebron never fouls ::)  but a 23 to 11 imbalance for Cleveland is ridiculous.  We can only hope someone in charge saw that farce of an officiating bias and talked to the officials.  unlikely but one can hope.  36 to 12 in FTs taken is just egregiously biased officiating.
- Crowder, AB and Horford don't shoot a combined 21 for 55 - 38%.  Particularly AB going 8-23 is just abysmal.
- Tristan Thompson not getting 7 offensive rebounds and shooting 12-15 from the FT line.

Granted, we didn't get Bron's best game thrown at us nor are we likely to see Smart provide that kind of offense or shooting again this series or JJ providing that much offense off the bench but there's a lot of things that could go the C's way that would just be an adjustment to the mean rather than them having to have a miracle to win.
great points slam. Everyone was rightly quick to point out that Bron put up a Marcus statline, and Marcus put up a Bron one. That wont happen again. however, I felt that our chance for a W in this series was when our streaky shooters (Crowder Bradley and ill include Horford for the sake of argument) get really hot and Love and Irving get cold.

That could still easily happen (although its more likely to occur in game 5 than it is game 4).
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I disagree with the assertion that Smart played "out of his mind".  Shooting 7-10 from 3 is unusual but his overall game was within what I would expect from one of his better games.  He was given a big opportunity and rose to the occasion.  He tends to do that.

I am surprised (actually stunned would be more apt) the Celtics won after the first 2.5 games and losing IT.  The Celtics played well, Cleveland went to sleep.  No crow should be in fear of being eaten due to one very surprising half of a game.  Maybe Cleveland will come out tight tonight and we are able to hang in.  "Anything's possible", right?

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
fwiw, in 16 playoff games this year, Smart has attempted 63 three-pointers and has knocked down over 41% of them.

Do I think this means he's turned the corner is the next Ray Allen? No. But it's a nice run and gives me hope that he can get up to 33-35% next season if he keeps putting in the work during the summer.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
fwiw, in 16 playoff games this year, Smart has attempted 63 three-pointers and has knocked down over 41% of them.

Do I think this means he's turned the corner is the next Ray Allen? No. But it's a nice run and gives me hope that he can get up to 33-35% next season if he keeps putting in the work during the summer.
hell, I'll just a continued rate of 41% for the rest of the playoffs.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

I want Marcus at 31% next year. He needs to cut out the heat checks and be able to make the threes that hes left wide open to take. Absolutely imparative that he learns to do those two things.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 01:33:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

We fell down by 21. The Celts kept fighting, but I don't think the game said much about the relative strength of our teams. Same thing with Marcus Smart. It was an awesome shooting display, but for right now, it seems fluky.

Yet another thread proving an earlier point I made.

Doing it once is nice, but it doesn't break a larger documented pattern, as Roy so correctly points out.

One game does not change a larger documented pattern. In either case.

Many games does.

Not many. Just 3 more like it.

Realistic? No. Possible? Remotely.  Rooting for it as a fan? Of course.

This is a site composed of Celtic fans, who are all arm chair coaches and GM's.  Don't take your arm chair views too seriously.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 01:39:24 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Great points.

TP

Aside from LeBron 's performance, everything went right for Cleveland in that game and they still lost.

The Cavs hit an ridiculous number of 3's in the first half, everything they threw up was going in.The top 3 scorers for the C's were all poor. Tristan Thompson had an amazing night at the FT line. Cavs got most of the borderline calls.

And yet they lost.

Every game is unique.

We were the better team and deserved to win. The series should never have been as lopsided as it was in the first two games.

Those were the flukes. Overall they might be more talented, but we're certainly not nearly as bad than we showed the first two games.

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 01:49:31 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Yet another thread proving an earlier point I made.

Doing it once is nice, but it doesn't break a larger documented pattern, as Roy so correctly points out.

One game does not change a larger documented pattern. In either case.

Many games does.

Not many. Just 3 more like it.

Realistic? No. Possible? Remotely.  Rooting for it as a fan? Of course.

This is a site composed of Celtic fans, who are all arm chair coaches and GM's.  Don't take your arm chair views too seriously.

Keep in mind he's still sore about Danny not drafting Dunn and flipping him for Okafor.

Pretty hard to feel good about a team - even when they're coming off a huge road win in the ECF and just won the draft lottery - when you know they're run by a GM who could pass up an opportunity to get a talent like Jahlil.
 ::)

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
crow is pretty tasty.   ....cooked correct .....add lots of Ketchup.....

mind was Excellent   ;D

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 01:53:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I want Marcus at 31% next year. He needs to cut out the heat checks and be able to make the threes that hes left wide open to take. Absolutely imparative that he learns to do those two things.
I don't get hung up on his percentage because he takes a number of 3's as end of quarter heaves as well as having to take a shot to prevent a shot-clock violation.  if those are discounted, his percentage would inch up a bit. 

the wide open ones I agree I'd like to see more consistency on those.