Author Topic: Millsap a better fit than Hayward?  (Read 2391 times)

Millsap a better fit than Hayward?
« on: May 22, 2017, 02:18:03 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
wondering what people think.

Last night was an awesome win obviously.

but besides that Tristan Thompson is killing us again. It made me think how nice it would be to have another true big guy besides Horford.

Millsap officially opted out today I think.

Wouldnt he fill a need now more than Hayward? I mean its always nice to have more scoring and shooting, but I dont think scoring has been as big a weakness for the team as has been their inability to get defensive rebounds.

Especially now considering we'll probably draft Fultz - shouldnt he combine w IT and what we've already got (Marcus is now a 3 point threat again after last night, haha, im kidding there) as far as guards to provide enough perimeter game?

anyway, i think theres a possibility we go after Millsap at this point despite reports Hayward is out top priority and I'd like to see how this team looks w more help up front.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:03:01 PM by cons »

Re: Millsap a better fit than Hayward?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think that Millsap might cost over $5 million more than Hayward, and we already are a couple million short on room for Hayward.  Any of the new threads repeatedly started on Millsap that don't mention this fact need to, you know, actually consider the salary cap.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:24:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
A better fit short term, probably.

But long term in needing a star level players, no. 

Add Hayward (and Fultz) and use that extra G/SF depth to trade for a better big man (or two)

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He might fit better short term but the money and years would hurt long term given his age...even if he signs for just $28-30 million over 4 years. Some people have been leery about giving a 29 year old IT a max and were unhappy about signing a 30 year old Horford to a max because of the money that would be tied up in declining players. There is definitely something to that. Hayward and Griffin are 27 and 28 respectively. Millsap is 32. The smart financial move is to max out a younger star, not Millsap.

He would be a great fit on a 2 year, $58 million contract if we whiff on Hayward and Griffin though.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 02:34:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
No. We don't want to be a worse version of the hawks team that never won anything

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
No. We don't want to be a worse version of the hawks team that never won anything

^^^ this...I really think this would be Hawks II. We already have Horford - Millsap, although a good player, would be a redux.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 03:09:39 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
yeah, i guess he'd be too expensive.  although its possible he may not command the ultra high salary people are predicting?  i mean, hes a good player but not a superstar, and he is older. maybe horford recruits him here for a short term more reasonable deal?
probably not :)

anyway, hoping they find some type of decent big man this offseason. amir is not cutting it.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Millsap's contract has the high potential to become an albatross at his age.

We're talking about a potentially franchise-crippling move.

I like the player, but he's not winning us  a championship, so it's not worth the risk.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

^^^ this...I really think this would be Hawks II. We already have Horford - Millsap, although a good player, would be a redux.

Except that Fultz-Bradley-Smart-Brown-Crowder-Isaiah is possibly a magnitude better on the court and as assets than Teague-Bazemore-Korver-Sefolosha-Schroder-Hardaway? If #1 overall pick Fultz and #3 overall pick Brown develop earlier than expected, Millsap and Horford would be the team's 3rd and 4th best players rather than the 1st and 2nd like they were in Atlanta.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 09:02:31 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Millsap is 5 years older than Hayward. He'd be a great signing if we were knocking on the door. But we're really not. The Cavs and the Warriors, and even the Spurs are major obstacles.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 09:08:05 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
I don't think we would ever do this, but if we strike out w Gordon and Danny decides to win now and we trade fultz for a guard in his prime (like Jimmy buckets) then a millsap signing may make sense to just go for it during a shortened window.  Why we would ever go that route is beyond me.

Otherwise, unless millsap just wants to win and is happy taking a 2 year deal (and we strike out with Hayward), then no thanks.

I guess if we signed Hayward and could get millsap via a sign and trade for say crowder, olynyk and others without the Brooklyn picks could be interesting if it works salary wise.  IT, fultz, Hayward, millsap, horford with bradley smart jaylen etc would be pretty nice.  Prob a pipe dream.

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 09:20:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I agree that Millsap's position is more of a need than Hayward's. But Hayward is the better player. I think the better route to go is to go for the best players possible, then build a team around them.

As much as I love this current group of players on the Cs, one has to seriously contemplate how different this team might be next year if the Cs draft Fultz and sign Hayward, and depending on IT's injury.

Core: Fultz, Hayward, Horford.
Near core (but probably tradeable): Brown, IT (depending on injury), perhaps Smart
Tradeable assets: AB, Crowder, Rozier
Probably gone with nothing in return: KO, Amir, Jerebko, Mikey, Green, Young, Zeller

I think Smart is the interesting one to think about. He's got value, but is probably one of these guys that has more value playing on the Cs than elsewhere, meaning he'll probably stick around.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Is Hayward big enough to play PF?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 09:43:04 PM »

Offline sirnastee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Better fit but definitely will be crippling us long term.  We definitely need some rebounding though.  It is almost comical to see 5 celtics in the paint and tristan thompson coming out with the rebound every single time.  It's unreal, but I 'm still glad Danny didn't panic and make a deadline move to hurt us long term. 

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Is Hayward big enough to play PF?

Yes, but probably when they go small.

I would like to have Crowder more for stretches at the 4 if we got Hayward.

But Hayward does have the size and can defend very well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller