Author Topic: 2017 mock draft (Fultz, Swanigan, Oliver, Hart to BOS)  (Read 11123 times)

Re: 2017 mock draft (Fultz, Swanigan, Oliver, Hart to BOS)
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 03:07:27 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- great work ethic, reportedly
- smart and emotionally mature (watch his interviews)
- elite athlete
- size and versatility lets him guard 1-3 and play with anyone
- point forward skills, secondary playmaker
- high motor and effort on D, impact player
- rebounds his position (7.4/game)

Fultz doesn't check as many boxes.  Fultz can be a tier 1 scorer, but Jackson has Paul Pierce potential.

I think youve got it the wrong way round.
Jackson is athletic and strong but needs to develop skills.
Fultz is guard version of Paul Pierce, with an even better stroke and finishing ability.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 04:40:26 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Based on that mock I go
Fultz
Bell or Motley
Kuzma

Trade last 2nd for duel protected 2018 2nd.

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2017, 06:28:00 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- elite athlete

Fultz doesn't check as many boxes.  Fultz can be a tier 1 scorer, but Jackson has Paul Pierce potential.

Fultz is guard version of Paul Pierce, with an even better stroke and finishing ability.
TP!
Remember this athletic, playmaking, non shooting wing.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willite01.html
He was a talented player too, look how that played out. We are not in the 80s anymore.

As far as the board goes, we need cap space. So, Fultz, trade/stash, trade/stash.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:34:57 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2017, 07:18:50 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
There is little doubt in my mind that Fultz is not the choice. He checks off several of the C's biggest needs as well as being the best player in the draft. He brings size to the guard spot and scoring/playmaking ability, something that is currently lacking from that group (minus IT).

My question is, what on earth are they going to do with all those 2nd rounders? They have to trade them (either to move up or to another team) or do draft and stash if they want cap flexibility right?

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I'm probably wrong, here, but what a terrible haul, especially with those last three picks.  Yikes.

Really, they look like pretty good second round picks to me, especially Hart that late in the second.
What do you expect in the end of the second round, Isaiah Thomas, Draymond Green and Jokic?

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
There is little doubt in my mind that Fultz is not the choice. He checks off several of the C's biggest needs as well as being the best player in the draft. He brings size to the guard spot and scoring/playmaking ability, something that is currently lacking from that group (minus IT).

My question is, what on earth are they going to do with all those 2nd rounders? They have to trade them (either to move up or to another team) or do draft and stash if they want cap flexibility right?

Second rounders have no cap holds. We can use as many as we want (but not more than 30, obviously) and it would have no effect on our ability to sign a max free agent

And with the new 2-way contracts this upcoming season, I'd expect at least one of our second rounders this season to stick around beyond training camp
I'm bitter.

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2017, 08:41:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not a bad haul based on the mock.  anyone from the second round that can play their way onto the roster or an agreement to stay in Maine after summer league is a bonus. 

I like Swanigan's motor.  his athleticism/size may not be what we'd like but I like that this kid comes to play.

Don't know enough about the other 2 picks although I've heard some positive comments about Hart.   Would expect draft and stash prospects at this point that are probably swing-for-the-fences types of gambles.  if they work out, fantastic.  if not, nothing really lost on a pick that late in the draft.

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm probably wrong, here, but what a terrible haul, especially with those last three picks.  Yikes.

Really, they look like pretty good second round picks to me, especially Hart that late in the second.
What do you expect in the end of the second round, Isaiah Thomas, Draymond Green and Jokic?

I'm not sure that Hart has the quickness to duplicate his defensive success in the NBA, and as for the other point, I probably have unrealistic standards, lol ;D, but the second round is loaded this year, imo :-\.

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I'm not sure that Hart has the quickness to duplicate his defensive success in the NBA, and as for the other point, I probably have unrealistic standards, lol ;D, but the second round is loaded this year, imo :-\.
the bolded is most certainly true.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2017, 11:52:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

K.  Idt that there's anything wrong with having high standards when it comes to drafting, though :-\.

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2017, 01:11:15 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

K.  Idt that there's anything wrong with having high standards when it comes to drafting, though :-\.
there is nothing wrong with having high expectations. However you have unrealistic expectations. What's wrong with them is that they are unrealistic i.e. Wrong.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2017, 01:15:40 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- elite athlete

Jackson have the most complete skillset in the draft minus the shooting. He can drive to the rim, can pass, rebound, defend, tremendous motor, hustle and have the intangibles that you'll like for a young prospect.

Fultz, while have the tools is completely raw on the defensive end. His effort come and goes too. I don't know if its just in the college but that's a red flag.

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2017, 04:31:16 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

there is nothing wrong with having high expectations. However you have unrealistic expectations. What's wrong with them is that they are unrealistic i.e. Wrong.

In your opinion, sure, but can I just explain what those "high standards" are?  Here it is - regardless of whether the pick is in the top 10, the last one in the draft, or even when looking at the pool of undrafted free agents, I believe that at the most basic of levels the goal should always be the same - to find an NBA player.  That's it :-\.