Author Topic: 2017 mock draft (Fultz, Swanigan, Oliver, Hart to BOS)  (Read 11182 times)

Re: 2017 mock draft (Fultz, Swanigan, Oliver, Hart to BOS)
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 03:59:14 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Advice: Don't ever let Felger or Mazz influence anything you think about basketball.

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 04:01:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The mock seems pretty reasonable. I'd rather have Jordan Bell with our second rounder than Swanigan, but I'd be ok with Swanigan.

If Anigbogu lasts until the second round I would want the Celtics to do everything they could to get him. He's going to be a monster.

I will be shocked if any of the picks that BOS owns after number one ends up on the roster next season.
This is what I initially thought, but I'm not sure second round pics have cap holds. It might make sense to draft some guys who could be added to the roster after we have used up our cap space.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 04:02:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Advice: Don't ever let Felger or Mazz influence anything you think about basketball.
Felger and Mazz. The guys that remember that basketball exists once a year. Perhaps less often if the Celtics don't make the playoffs.  ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 04:09:40 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- great work ethic, reportedly
- smart and emotionally mature (watch his interviews)
- elite athlete
- size and versatility lets him guard 1-3 and play with anyone
- point forward skills, secondary playmaker
- high motor and effort on D, impact player
- rebounds his position (7.4/game)

Fultz doesn't check as many boxes.  Fultz can be a tier 1 scorer, but Jackson has Paul Pierce potential.
Didn't we pretty much draft this guy last year?

Nope.  They have some things in common though.  Jaylen's more of a slasher and a brute force player.  Jackson is a more cerebral player on the court (despite Jaylen being some kind of nerd off the court).  Jackson is more rangy on D, moves his feet better and threatens to block shots.  Higher assist, block, and steal rates... a more impactful defender and a MUCH better passer.

Jackson is a good player, but he played for a better program (and better fit) at an older age.

I may be wrong, but I feel Jaylen has bigger upside.

While I don't necessarily think they would be redundant, and I would have been perfectly happy drafting him at 2/3/4, I don't see how you don't take Fultz at 1.
Jaylen is stronger, a better shooter, and probably better on the low block with his back to the basket.  Jaylen is a 3 who plays like a 4.  Jackson is a 3 who plays like a 2.  I agree, not a lot of overlap.

Let's say both Fultz and Jackson fulfill their potential.  Would you rather have the 6'4" scoring machine or the 6'8" 2-way player?  Do me a favor and look at the last 30 Finals MVP's.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- elite athlete

Fultz doesn't check as many boxes.  Fultz can be a tier 1 scorer, but Jackson has Paul Pierce potential.

Nope.  They have some things in common though.  Jaylen's more of a slasher and a brute force player.  Jackson is a more cerebral player on the court (despite Jaylen being some kind of nerd off the court).  Jackson is more rangy on D, moves his feet better and threatens to block shots.  Higher assist, block, and steal rates... a more impactful defender and a MUCH better passer.

Jackson is a good player, but he played for a better program (and better fit) at an older age.

While I don't necessarily think they would be redundant, and I would have been perfectly happy drafting him at 2/3/4, I don't see how you don't take Fultz at 1.
Jaylen is stronger, a better shooter, and probably better on the low block with his back to the basket.  Jaylen is a 3 who plays like a 4.  Jackson is a 3 who plays like a 2.  I agree, not a lot of overlap.

Let's say both Fultz and Jackson fulfill their potential.  Would you rather have the 6'4" scoring machine or the 6'8" 2-way player?  Do me a favor and look at the last 30 Finals MVP's.

There was this skinny kid from Philadelphia, about an inch taller than Fultz, who was drafted #13 in 1996.   He was a scoring machine.  He probably represents Fultz' upside "potential" as a scoring machine.

He's not a popular guy among Celtic fans, but he did have a helluva career.

Fultz actually has a lot of potential on defense as well, by the way.  Tremendous wingspan (his dimensions are similar to Wade's).   He's a lot younger than Jackson.  I don't think it's quite fair to characterize him as just a one-way player yet.  Especially if we are talking about 'potential'.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

For sure!  TP
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- elite athlete

Jackson can't shoot. How is he going to be worth such a high pick? It is a shooters game. Only other option for him is to be a primary ballhandler and I don't see him being a capable to high tier at that. He is no Ben Simmons in that regard. Jackson is a 50% FT shooter. Jaylen is a better prospect by a mile.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- elite athlete

There was this skinny kid from Philadelphia, about an inch taller than Fultz, who was drafted #13 in 1996.   He was a scoring machine.  He probably represents Fultz' upside "potential" as a scoring machine.

Fultz actually has a lot of potential on defense as well, by the way.  Tremendous wingspan (his dimensions are similar to Wade's).   He's a lot younger than Jackson.  I don't think it's quite fair to characterize him as just a one-way player yet.  Especially if we are talking about 'potential'.
Fultz is not the same size as Kobe Bryant.  Kobe's a legit 6'6".  It's hard for me to even imagine Kobe being as apathetic about defense and losing as Fultz was.

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 04:56:45 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- elite athlete

Jackson can't shoot. How is he going to be worth such a high pick? It is a shooters game. Only other option for him is to be a primary ballhandler and I don't see him being a capable to high tier at that. He is no Ben Simmons in that regard. Jackson is a 50% FT shooter. Jaylen is a better prospect by a mile.
Jackson was 25/52 from 3 over his last 15 games.  48%.  He finished the year at 38%, which is fine.

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
I will be shocked if any of the picks that BOS owns after number one ends up on the roster next season.

Same.

If they do they will be euro draft and stash guys.

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 04:58:27 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- elite athlete

What does finals mvp have to do with anything?

That's assuming both have an equal chance to fulfill their potential, and that their ceiling is the same. Almost nobody believes that Jackson is as good a prospect as Fultz. His height and his position is irrelevant when looking at them individually as prospects.

This isn't a real difficult pick to make. Fultz is a significantly better prospect.

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- elite athlete

Fultz is not the same size as Kobe Bryant.  Kobe's a legit 6'6".  It's hard for me to even imagine Kobe being as apathetic about defense and losing as Fultz was.

Well, given that we don't have any sort of independent combine event type measurement, we don't really know how 'legit' that 6' 6" is.    Not that it matters.  That's a red-herring.

However you might feel about Fultz' psychology, that nevertheless is his 'potential' as a scoring talent in this league.  Fultz has all the check-boxes to be a high-volume, high-efficiency and extremely versatile scoring guard in the NBA.   He has shot-making body control that is 'Kobe-like'.  He may never ever reach such a lofty ceiling, but again, we are talking about his potential.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- elite athlete

That's assuming both have an equal chance to fulfill their potential, and that their ceiling is the same. Almost nobody believes that Jackson is as good a prospect as Fultz. His height and his position is irrelevant when looking at them individually as prospects.

This isn't a real difficult pick to make. Fultz is a significantly better prospect.
It matters because we're Celtics fans and we're trying to field the next Finals MVP, not the next stat stuffing highlight reel.

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 05:07:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Take Jackson.

- high IQ
- elite athlete

It matters because we're Celtics fans and we're trying to field the next Finals MVP, not the next stat stuffing highlight reel.
No, we're trying to draft the best player available. Drafting for the "next XXX" gets you stuck with guys like Adam Morrison.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 05:12:48 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I don't see any way the Celtics actually use all their 2nd round picks.

They will either package them to move up or trade them in a bundle for a future 1st round pick.

Would like to see a big frontcourt defender/rebounder or big defending guard with that second choice.