Author Topic: Al Horford  (Read 3381 times)

Re: Al Horford
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 11:52:27 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
I hope to see what he looks like with a true center in the game with him soon. He is class and his wife is a great twitter star, too.
The way I see it, Horford should be our center.  Don't think he is quick enough to guard stretch fours out on the perimeter any more. We have to pair him with an athletic PF who can space the floor, grab some rebounds and protect the rim.

I think a mobile, but, rebounding PF is what we need to put next to Horford. If he can shoot great, but we need a specialized PF who can make up for Horfords weaknesses on the glass and on the perimeter on the defensive end.

So in essence I agree with you. However at this stage of his career I think Horford is better suited to be the rim protector. So if we had someone capable of guarding those quick pfs, we would be golden.
I agree that ''at this stage of his career he is better suited to be the rim protector''. The thing is he is not long/athletic enough to be an above average rim protector. That's why I think the PF we put next to him has to be able to protect the rim as well.

agreed and we need rebounds
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 11:59:21 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I hope to see what he looks like with a true center in the game with him soon. He is class and his wife is a great twitter star, too.
The way I see it, Horford should be our center.  Don't think he is quick enough to guard stretch fours out on the perimeter any more. We have to pair him with an athletic PF who can space the floor, grab some rebounds and protect the rim.

I think a mobile, but, rebounding PF is what we need to put next to Horford. If he can shoot great, but we need a specialized PF who can make up for Horfords weaknesses on the glass and on the perimeter on the defensive end.

So in essence I agree with you. However at this stage of his career I think Horford is better suited to be the rim protector. So if we had someone capable of guarding those quick pfs, we would be golden.
I agree that ''at this stage of his career he is better suited to be the rim protector''. The thing is he is not long/athletic enough to be an above average rim protector. That's why I think the PF we put next to him has to be able to protect the rim as well.

Unfortunately, unless we splurge our assets, we are describing an all nba caliber player. Someone who can protect the perimeter, protect the rim, rebound, and shoot the 3 would be amazing.

So in a world where we don't break the bank, I would rather have a player we could slot into the "4" who could rebound, protect the perimeter, and hit the 3.
#JKJB

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Unfortunately, unless we splurge our assets, we are describing an all nba caliber player. Someone who can protect the perimeter, protect the rim, rebound, and shoot the 3 would be amazing.

So in a world where we don't break the bank, I would rather have a player we could slot into the "4" who could rebound, protect the perimeter, and hit the 3.
Agreed again. Rebounding ability, perimeter defense and floor spacing would all be more important for us at the PF position compared to rim protection. Having said that, I would be over the moon if we somehow traded for Myles Turner. I know, it's a pipe dream... Just saying... He is obviously playing at the 5 for the Pacers, but I think he would be great for us at the 4.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:16:11 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 12:25:48 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

Agreed again. Rebounding ability, perimeter defense and floor spacing would all be more important for us at the PF position compared to rim protection. Having said that, I would be over the moon if we somehow traded for Myles Turner. I know, it's a pipe dream... Just saying... He is obviously playing at the 5 for the Pacers, but I think he would be great for us at the 4.

Myles Turner would be perfect. Off the top of my head, Porzingas would prly fit that mold and dare I say Draymond Green would be a good fit too.  Outside those three IDK a Big that can rebound, defend rim, defend the 4 and shoot

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 12:27:58 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Myles Turner would be perfect. Off the top of my head, Porzingas would prly fit that mold and dare I say Draymond Green would be a good fit too.  Outside those three IDK a Big that can rebound, defend rim, defend the 4 and shoot

Has Turner made large strides at defending the perimeter? Last I knew he had questionable lateral quickness. It is kind of why I have always viewed him as a new school prototypical 5. Huge, can shoot, long arms, etc.

Also, Porzingis is not good at perimeter defense. His foot speed is severely lacking.  But yea draymond' s style is exactly what this team would need.
#JKJB

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 12:36:51 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Ironically, Tristan Thompson would be a perfect complement to Horford for what we need, but I don't see that happening.

Taj Gibson could be more attainable I think.

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 01:06:46 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Ironically, Tristan Thompson would be a perfect complement to Horford for what we need, but I don't see that happening.

Maybe Zizic can fill that role.

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 07:16:16 PM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8

Zizic could perhaps play the four defensively and the five offensively?

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 07:23:26 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Has Turner made large strides at defending the perimeter? Last I knew he had questionable lateral quickness. It is kind of why I have always viewed him as a new school prototypical 5. Huge, can shoot, long arms, etc.

Also, Porzingis is not good at perimeter defense. His foot speed is severely lacking.  But yea draymond' s style is exactly what this team would need.
I thought Turner was pretty good at defending the perimeter.

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 08:16:38 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
His stat lines might drive you nutty given the large swings but last night the primary reason why Avery got a clean look was Horford's screen on Thompson.

This guy consistently does the little things. He is worth every penny and I have never been more confident that he will be part of our next 'ship.

He has also been cast as "disappearing" in the 4th in big games but he had two huge buckets and made great plays last night.  That post up of Thompson was ownership.

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Zizic can't defend the 4. He's a true 5. 
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 08:39:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

we may need to rethink these since CBS does not use those designations in his schemes. CBS thinks about players as ball handlers, swings, wings, and bigs i believe.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 03:30:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Zizic can't defend the 4. He's a true 5.

He can defend a lot of 4's. Obviously Blake Griffin would be a tough matchup for him, but Blake is a tough matchup for anyone.

I think he might be more defensively versatile than you suggest
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 03:44:37 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Willie Caulie Stein would certainly be athletic enough defensively. No floor stretching though.
Banner 18 please 😍