Author Topic: Do we even reach the finals with Horford  (Read 839 times)

Do we even reach the finals with Horford
« on: May 21, 2017, 06:33:40 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

On Horford's current contract with three years left. Do we reach the finals.

I hate to say it but even with Hayward and Fultz it's probably only a 30% chance.  And without Hayward chance are not good.

I feel like that's the timeline though when Horford's contract expires, that's the time period where we could get buy the Queen.

Re: Do we even reach the finals with Horford
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 06:44:18 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Depends on how NBA ready Fultz is, and what we can get for AB and Crowder.

But if we have to cut ties, it would be after year three. Maybe for an other unprotected 1st round to the Nets? :)

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 06:50:51 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Depends on how NBA ready Fultz is, and what we can get for AB and Crowder.

But if we have to cut ties, it would be after year three. Maybe for an other unprotected 1st round to the Nets? :)

Hahaha Tp. I don't think the Nets ever answer our phone calls again.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 07:03:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Probably not, but that's also probably not Horford's fault.  The odds of making the Finals give where the Celts are at versus where the Cavs are at just makes it difficult.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:09:49 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
If we land a big FA and our 2017 and 2018 picks help us add elite talent, I could see us sneaking in once in 2019 or 2020. No shame in losing to this Cavs team, though.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:13:50 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
That's when Anthony Davis becomes relevant three years from now.

Adding Horford was basically to get our team from a #5 seed to a top three team in the East, and also luring potential big-timed free agents. So far the former has worked.

But we need results soon. At least win the East Finals, and hopefully one championship while he's still with us in his contract.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 08:20:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Probably not, but I'm not sure he was rey signed for that purpose, and I also don't think it's a terrible thing either.

Horford gives the team a legit chance to be top 3 in the East even season for the next few years. The young core will get to have serious on the job training in what it takes to win at the highest level.

Look how beneficial this is for Jaylen Brown. The same learning experience will be there for Fultz next year, in all likelihood. It brought credibility to the Celtics as a free agent destination.

Maybe we steal a Finals appearance in during the Horford/Thomas years. But it seems to me Ainge is comfortable biding his time.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I think that while the goal is always to put yourself in a position to win a title, this was a win-win. We're in a unique position to build for the future without tanking, so even if this isn't a title contender, why not make some moves and hope for the best? Maybe LeBron gets hurt one year or we have a perfectly played series against them because we put ourselves in position. I'd worry about the mediocrity treadmill, but we're acquiring the kind of young players that teams line up to draft.