Author Topic: I played for Rollie Massimino  (Read 3574 times)

Re: I played for Rollie Massimino
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 10:37:11 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
What does playing for Rollie Massimino have to with anything? I know you're proud that he coached you, and that's cool, but it has no relevance on us vs the Cavs. Winning a singe college game vs a better opponent is one thing, but these are experienced professionals that likely won't succumb to the pressure of the moment. Not to mention that the game is significantly different in today's day. It's almost a different sport the way it's both played and officiated. A poster could've played for John Wooden or Red Auerbach, but that too would make zero impact on trying to defend Kyrie the way he was going last night.

Now, if you have X's and O's strategy that you learned from Rollie on how to defend Irving, especially when he's on fire, then I'm all ears.

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Georgetown undefeated with EWING vs 15th ranked Villanova in Finals ----lost
Cavaliers at home after two blowouts and the Celts play scrappy.++
No Isaiah to hide on defense or lean on at the offensive end .The shots start falling and defense improves Celts make a game of it.
I played for Rollie at Lexington in quarter finals of Tech Tourney, We played top seeded undefeated Jamaica Plain,all black, tall with length,strength and quick twitch.
.Massimino was like a cross of Bobby Knight and Van Gundy with the size of Joe Pesci including his Goodfellas temperament.
He taught pressure help man to man team defense ,they never knew what hit them-Talent lost that day. .
WE need a perfect storm to sink these guys just once.

of note,-the team did it a perfect storm with Marcus killin it and Jonas setting hard screens,throwing Love down and barging a guy in his space twice.
Home crowd ,next man up

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 11:24:38 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 11:26:31 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
all conventional wisdom after the first two games leaned towards us not winning a game based on terrible performances. ok so we did pull one off. we are still not winning the series and that was the point in my reference to 2012 ECF earlier. Do you need another pat on the back for your prediction coming to fruition?? just curious. if so, here it is........*PATS ON BACK*  ;)

there we go now...........I hope like hell we can pull off game 5 just so we get one more game of experience.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
What does playing for Rollie Massimino have to with anything? I know you're proud that he coached you, and that's cool, but it has no relevance on us vs the Cavs. Winning a singe college game vs a better opponent is one thing, but these are experienced professionals that likely won't succumb to the pressure of the moment. Not to mention that the game is significantly different in today's day. It's almost a different sport the way it's both played and officiated. A poster could've played for John Wooden or Red Auerbach, but that too would make zero impact on trying to defend Kyrie the way he was going last night.

Now, if you have X's and O's strategy that you learned from Rollie on how to defend Irving, especially when he's on fire, then I'm all ears.

correct. no 3 point line back in 85, slower college game. one game upsets not 4 out of 7. we are talking 32 years ago. 
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker

If you noticed i said" no isaiah to hide or depend on"-i mentioned" pressure man to man help defense and shots start falling-i was writing as a fan that had played,watched and been a fan that had witnessed some incredible comebacks games.The excessive criticisms were not  necessary for this young team that had already exceeded expectations-If you read" i said a perfect storm to win one"
This could be the last time many of these players will perform together. Win or lose,.they deserve the respect for the season they have given.
There was Red Sox vs Yanks,USA hockey vs Russia.
The Celtics pride is back and a win on home court not a distant mirage but there is hope that a collective team effort and a great coach can pull one off at home-if not the fans can applaud the season these players have had and it is on to the draft and summer league.

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Rollie, people can be critical and still be fans. As your "eating crow" thread seems to suggest, you appear to think a person can only be a fan if they blindly cheer for their team and not criticize a thing. That's not the case. I, like probably the majority of posters on here, am die hard fan and haven't missed a single game in over a decade (I admit I watch many on delay without knowing the results). However, I will be critical of Ainge's moves, Stevens' decisions, etc. That does NOT mean that I'm not a fan.

For example, yesterday I thought Stevens should've tried Brown on Irving in hopes his length bothered him. I also think he should've trapped him hard on high PNR in order to try to force someone else to beat us. If neither of those worked I would've even gone to a box and 1 on them, rotating Smart and Bradley on him, in order to give him different looks and keep the primary defender fresh.

Does that mean I'm not a fan? Does me thinking Green, Mickey, Young, Zeller, and Jackson all suck not make me a fan?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:24:40 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 12:59:23 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
My response was to the fire ainge, get a new coach ,trade isaiah,trade smart,trade crowder can't win crowd after the first two losses.
Eating crow was just jab,
There is criticism and then their is sarcasm,wrath and bile bordering on hatred
I thought Zeller was a very poor choice of subs and your idea of using Jaylen could have worked

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 01:20:06 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
Rollie, people can be critical and still be fans. As your "eating crow" thread seems to suggest, you appear to think a person can only be a fan if they blindly cheer for their team and not criticize a thing. That's not the case. I, like probably the majority of posters on here, am die hard fan and haven't missed a single game in over a decade (I admit I watch many on delay without knowing the results). However, I will be critical of Ainge's moves, Stevens' decisions, etc. That does NOT mean that I'm not a fan.

For example, yesterday I thought Stevens should've tried Brown on Irving in hopes his length bothered him. I also think he should've trapped him hard on high PNR in order to try to force someone else to beat us. If neither of those worked I would've even gone to a box and 1 on them, rotating Smart and Bradley on him, in order to give him different looks and keep the primary defender fresh.

Does that mean I'm not a fan? Does me thinking Green, Mickey, Young, Zeller, and Jackson all suck not make me a fan?

Of course it doesn't mean you are not a fan.  But I find it borderline laughable that you think there are in game adjustments you would make that supersede what Brad does or doesn't do.  I've coached, at a very high level in some cases, but I know I don't have all the information the way Stevens does.  Sure I get frustrated when things aren't going well, but I don't think there is a coach anywhere who would have put Brown on Kyrie.  He would have blown straight by him every time.  Also, a box and one in the NBA?  Have you ever seen it done?  I haven't.  It would never work, especially with the defensive 3 second rule, the box would have to set up outside the paint.  This junk defense only works in high school, very rarely in college, when there is a clear dominant player surrounded by very average players.  That is never the case in the NBA, the other players would feast on all the openings, especially Love and LeBron,

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 08:59:13 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Of course it doesn't mean you are not a fan.  But I find it borderline laughable that you think there are in game adjustments you would make that supersede what Brad does or doesn't do.  I've coached, at a very high level in some cases, but I know I don't have all the information the way Stevens does.  Sure I get frustrated when things aren't going well, but I don't think there is a coach anywhere who would have put Brown on Kyrie.  He would have blown straight by him every time.  Also, a box and one in the NBA?  Have you ever seen it done?  I haven't.  It would never work, especially with the defensive 3 second rule, the box would have to set up outside the paint.  This junk defense only works in high school, very rarely in college, when there is a clear dominant player surrounded by very average players.  That is never the case in the NBA, the other players would feast on all the openings, especially Love and LeBron,

Hold on, so what you're saying is Stevens is above reproach and his plan was flawless? So basically don't do anything and continue to let Irving decapitate us and have the Cavs as whole continue to shoot over 70% from the field in the second half, right? The point of trying different players is you never know what's going to work. Brown's on ball D is pretty good and I've seen him do a pretty good job on defending Wall and Beal in isolation last series. Again, you have to try and do something else rather than hope/pray Irving just starts missing.

For all of Stevens' greatness he's pretty stubborn in making changes. One of the main reasons we fell behind 0-2 against the Bulls is that he stuck with Amir way too long despite it being painfully obvious that his ineffectiveness was killing us on both ends of the floor.

The box and 1 was my last suggestion and would be more of a matchup zone because of the 3 second rules while also having a defender on Irving. Have I seen it done before in the NBA? No. However, no one did the Hack-a-Shaq until, u know, someone actually tried it. And if Irving passes it to other players then it's mission accomplished because you've now taken the ball out of his hands. The point is do to do something. Change it up. Change the rhythm. But maybe you're right, Stevens deserved no blame and doing the same thing and hoping for a different result isn't the definition of insanity.