Author Topic: Draft Markelle Fultz and Jordan Bell - offense + defense  (Read 5520 times)

Re: Draft Markelle Fultz and Jordan Bell - offense + defense
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 12:03:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Undersized big with zero offensive game doesn't sound like something the C's would go after. This guy seems like a good D league development guy or maybe a few years overseas to figure out his game.

I usually agree on these type of players ....

Unless they are Leon Powe, Tristant Thompson, Draymond Green

The energy, toughness, versatility on the defensive end make up for lack of true offensive skills

Wouldn't you like to have a Tristant Thompson on this current squad right about now?

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 12:04:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Undersized big with zero offensive game doesn't sound like something the C's would go after. This guy seems like a good D league development guy or maybe a few years overseas to figure out his game.

The energy, toughness, versatility on the defensive end make up for lack of true offensive skills

Don't you think a Tristant Thompson would help this current squad?  Not only what he brings to the table (rebounding/versatile defense) but also attitude
Sure. Thompson was a high lottery pick with a better pedigree. This guy doesn't come close to that.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 12:12:01 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I knew this was a Triboy thread without having to click on it. Nobody loves an undersized PF with a limited offensive game more than him.

Triboy, is Bell better than Mickey?

I am supporting Triboy on this!!  This kid did it at the ELITE level in the tourney!!  Did Mickey do ANYTHING in the NCAA tournament???

Also, Bell has a 7' reach.  Not outstanding, but solid.

Smitty77

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I knew this was a Triboy thread without having to click on it. Nobody loves an undersized PF with a limited offensive game more than him.

I am supporting Triboy on this!!  This kid did it at the ELITE level in the tourney!!  Did Mickey do ANYTHING in the NCAA tournament???

Also, Bell has a 7' reach.  Not outstanding, but solid.

Smitty77

You mean 7'0" wingspan  :)

also 38 max vertical

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Don't you think a Tristant Thompson would help this current squad?  Not only what he brings to the table (rebounding/versatile defense) but also attitude
Sure. Thompson was a high lottery pick with a better pedigree. This guy doesn't come close to that.

explain

because Thompson is glorified garbage man.  What does he bring to the table on the offensive end?

His bread and butter is offensive rebounding, protecting the rim, playing versatile D

same as Bell.   I'm not saying Bell will be as good.  But there are similarities. Toughness, attitude, energy.    Physical tools are pretty close as well

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

explain

because Thompson is glorified garbage man.  What does he bring to the table on the offensive end?

His bread and butter is offensive rebounding, protecting the rim, playing versatile D

same as Bell.   I'm not saying Bell will be as good.  But there are similarities. Add toughness, attitude, energy.    Physical tools are pretty close as well
Maybe. I just don't see it with this player. Or at least, I don't see him with the Cs.

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

explain

same as Bell.   I'm not saying Bell will be as good.  But there are similarities. Add toughness, attitude, energy.    Physical tools are pretty close as well
Maybe. I just don't see it with this player. Or at least, I don't see him with the Cs.

Zizic will help soon...

good to have to battle the likes of Gortat. Or Aldridge

but it would be nice to have a quicker guy like Bell when you face a powerful small ball team like the Cavs

I'm not sure about Yabusele.  Strong kid but looks like only has avg bbiq

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I'm not really worried about matching up with the Cavs, because by the time our young guys mature, Lebron will be in decline and CLE will be a different team.

I do agree with Bell, if the value is good at that point. We need some blood and guts guys to play D and fight for rebounds. As Barkley said last night, we need a guy who isn't afraid to "knock the hell" out of Lebron (or whoever) when he turns his back on a defender. Frontcourt versions of Marcus Smart, even if they're only the 4th guy in the big rotation. We are going to be punching bags if we trot out soft big men like KO. For all the talk of fitting the offense and playing on the perimeter, one of our biggest needs is toughness.

Edit: I would add, I'm not sold that Bell is that guy, just that we need a guy like him. I was high on him til he failed to box out twice in a row and cost his team a shot at a national title.

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I think Bell is gone before we pick in the early second round so he's probably a moot point, but someone good is going to fall into that 1st second round pick. We might pick up someone interesting with those late seconds. This draft is really deep...

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I knew this was a Triboy thread without having to click on it. Nobody loves an undersized with a limited offensive game more than him.

he is much better then your no show Cliff Alexandre

It was a good question, though. Is Bell better than Mickey?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 05:02:23 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Mickey didn't work out.  But Bell's role fit - ie tough rebounder/defender and can run the floor hard for transition baskets.  That's something the Celtics could use.  It would be great if he were 7 foot instead of 6'9 but that's entirely the reason he would be available in the early 2nd instead of the mid to late 1st.

I like his athletic numbers.  Maybe he's not quite Draymond Green or Tristan Thompson but if he gives you 85-90% of that and a hard nosed/tough attitude, it's worth adding to the bottom of the roster.  I mean look how Jerebko fighting back and getting feisty helped bring us back from the dead in game 3 vs the Cavs!  You can't have a roster full of stars, sometimes you need scrappers and glue guys on the back end.

I wouldn't be mad if we took a chance on Bell or a player of his type in Round 2.

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 05:34:15 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I'm on the Bellwagon.

His mobility (both in the open court, and switching on the perimeter), passing and finishing strength would give us a good cheap replacement for Mickey.
#JKJB

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 05:51:11 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
It would be like adding Irving and Tristant Thompson

PF Bell is for real on the defensive end. Offensive rebounding machine also.  Imo could give someone like Lebron problems. Has the attitude this team is lacking

Fultz a scoring machine + 6'10 wingspan

It would be satisfying if Danny ends up drafting these two players.  Help for another playoff run. Better equipped to battle the Cavs

Jordan Bell highlights

https://youtu.be/ewWLJtmH9iM
https://youtu.be/yWCq5ZQSDi0

Markelle Fultz
https://youtu.be/T2DHVAnrNlk

And how many playoff games did the Cavs win with Irving and Thompson before Lebron joined?

well Irving and Thompson was enough to entice Lebron to leave the Heat

Don't forget Celtics also have Brown and potential top 5 2018 pick

His hometown of Cleveland and making amends for leaving them was the main factor, not Irving and Thompson. That team never made the playoffs without Lebron. Our team has gotten to the ECF.
That is the narrative LeBron and the former LeBron jersey burning Cleveland fanboys would like for everyone to believe but I do not buy it.  A window opened up for him to check out other teams after a few years in Miami.  Cleveland bottomed out and got lucky enough to land two #1 picks after he unceremoniously bailed on his beloved hometown.  They were in the best shape to help him win.  Not to mention they also could pay him some tall cash.  That is why he went back to Cleveland.

Back to the OP, I would be very happy with Fultz and Bell.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
It would be like adding Irving and Tristant Thompson

PF Bell is for real on the defensive end. Offensive rebounding machine also.  Imo could give someone like Lebron problems. Has the attitude this team is lacking

Fultz a scoring machine + 6'10 wingspan

It would be satisfying if Danny ends up drafting these two players.  Help for another playoff run. Better equipped to battle the Cavs

Jordan Bell highlights

https://youtu.be/ewWLJtmH9iM
https://youtu.be/yWCq5ZQSDi0

Markelle Fultz
https://youtu.be/T2DHVAnrNlk

How about drafting two way players?  Tough at 37, but at 1 I'd want a guy who can defend and score.

So TB, is Bell better than Mickey?  Answer the question!