Author Topic: Worst Conference Finals Round Ever?  (Read 9427 times)

Re: Worst Conference Finals Round Ever?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
The NBA season started with 2 teams having a realistic chance to win it all and 28 with no chance - barring major injuries on the top 2 teams.  No one got hurt and it's played out that way. 

As a fan, you have to adjust your expectations and forget about championships for now - just root for your team to play to its max potential which the Celtics have done.

Contrast this to the NFL where in a given season over half the teams have a real shot at winning it all.  Problem is I'm not sure how the NBA fixes the imbalance apart from redrafting teams every year and have no long term contracts.  Or you contract the league and have about 10 teams.  Neither is realistic so we have what we have.

If you wanted to shorten the playoff series and introduce the possibility of upsets you could do that - but the playoff home games are too valuable financially and no owner wants to give them up.

It is what it is. 

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Jalen Rose and Wilbon said it always been this way but I think they are way off base.  The Celts and Lakers dominated the 80s but they had competitive series to get to the finals.   Right, now it might as well be a two team league.  Our team is little more than a practice squad.
in the early 80's the Sixers were a real threat and at then end of the 80's the Pistons were but the rest of the league was very subpar in the 80's.  I mean seriously look at any season in the 80's and there were at most 3 teams that could realistically win  the title barring injury.  Same as today.

The 80s were stacked with good teams. The Bucks had some very good teams.The Bucks won 50 games or more for 7 seasons, reached the conference finals four times. That Atlanta series we had that featured the Bird/Wilkens shoot out is an all time classic. The Pistons were good. The Bulls had Jordan. The Knicks had Bernard King. The East was very strong in the 80s otherwise The Celtics would've  won like 6 tittles instead of only 3. In the 80s all of the rounds of the playoffs were worth watching not just the finals.

Bird's Celtics certainly faced stiffer competition to reach the finals than Magic's Lakers did that is for sure, as others have mentioned facing legit title threats like the Sixers and Pistons along with the other teams you mentioned. But to get back on point about his years conference finals , I agree probably the most lop sided series of the modern era. I don't believe there has been two conference sweeps in the same year for decades, none from 1980 onwards anyway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957_NBA_Playoffs

1957 is the only time it has happened before, it was Division finals then and best of 5.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:37:04 PM by GC003332 »

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2017, 01:35:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Jalen Rose and Wilbon said it always been this way but I think they are way off base.  The Celts and Lakers dominated the 80s but they had competitive series to get to the finals.   Right, now it might as well be a two team league.  Our team is little more than a practice squad.
in the early 80's the Sixers were a real threat and at then end of the 80's the Pistons were but the rest of the league was very subpar in the 80's.  I mean seriously look at any season in the 80's and there were at most 3 teams that could realistically win  the title barring injury.  Same as today.

The 80s were stacked with good teams. The Bucks had some very good teams.The Bucks won 50 games or more for 7 seasons, reached the conference finals four times. That Atlanta series we had that featured the Bird/Wilkens shoot out is an all time classic. The Pistons were good. The Bulls had Jordan. The Knicks had Bernard King. The East was very strong in the 80s otherwise The Celtics would've  won like 6 tittles instead of only 3. In the 80s all of the rounds of the playoffs were worth watching not just the finals.
. The fact that people remember these early round playoff matchups 25 years later kind of proves the point. Nobody will be talking about these early round series 1 year from now, let alone 20. It's just been boring and a let down. By the way I have been saying this long before the Celtic shot rooted in the NBA playoff thread which basically has now died from lack of interest in the game.

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2017, 02:19:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Whole lot of whining and crying in this thread. If it was the Celtics who were the "superteam" no one here would be upset.

Get over it.

The bottom line is the league is at its most profitable when teams like Cleveland and Golden St exist. I'd put money on this year's Finals setting all kind of viewership records.

This is a completely non-responsive post.

I think we'd all agree the Finals will be competitive.

And yeah, casual fans are excited.

Guess what?  We're not casual fans.  You're not a casual fan if you're on this forum.  It's scientifically proven.

The Finals might be epic.  But there are, you know, over a month and a half worth of playoffs before the Finals even begin.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2017, 02:27:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

The Bucks were never a title threat and the fact they awon that much pretty much shows how weak the 80's were outside of the top few teams.  The Bucks had no HOFers in their prime and only had Lanier and Archibald for a little while at the tail end of their careers.   The Hawks were nothing more than a team like the Thunder is today.  One superstar and a bunch if role players. Frankly until Pippen got there the Bulls weren't much different.  The Knicks weren't even a .500 team until the 88/89 season and then they were just Ewing and a bunch of role players.  Barring injury you knew at the start of every season the Lakers or Celtics were going to win the title except a few seasons in the early 80's when the Sixers and maybr Rockets were added and a few seasons at the end when the Pistons had a shot (and actually broke through).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
During the 80s the Sixers, Celts, Lakers, Rockets, and Pistons made the Finals.

The Mavericks also came within 1 game of making the Finals in 88.

When was the last time the same two teams made the Finals three years in a row?

When was the last time the same teams made the Finals four years in a row?  Five years?

It's not hard to imagine the Warriors and Cavs going at this for at least another two years.

You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2017, 03:12:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

When was the last time the same teams made the Finals four years in a row?  Five years?

It's not hard to imagine the Warriors and Cavs going at this for at least another two years.

Portland also made the Finals in 1989-1990 season.

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Good point.  I didn't look at that one since those playoffs were in the 90s, technically.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2017, 05:47:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Good point.  I didn't look at that one since those playoffs were in the 90s, technically.
During the 2010's the following teams have made the finals: Los Angeles, Boston, Miami, Dallas, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Cleveland, and Golden State.and there are still two more seasons after this one.

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2017, 06:09:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

During the 2010's the following teams have made the finals: Los Angeles, Boston, Miami, Dallas, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Cleveland, and Golden State.and there are still two more seasons after this one.

I would say that 2010 - 2015 we had some good variety, though LeBron has basically had his run of the East since 2011.

I think the fact that we are likely to have the same two teams go to the Finals for 4-5 years or more is less than ideal though.

To me the ideal is to have 2-3 really good teams in each conference that could make the Finals.

You don't want too much concentration of talent at the top or too much parity.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2017, 08:29:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I would say that 2010 - 2015 we had some good variety, though LeBron has basically had his run of the East since 2011.

I think the fact that we are likely to have the same two teams go to the Finals for 4-5 years or more is less than ideal though.

To me the ideal is to have 2-3 really good teams in each conference that could make the Finals.

Moranis has been disparaging the play in both the 80s and 90's in his quest to convince others how great Lebron is. I wouldn't take his comments too seriously. On a more serious discussion I agree with you 100% phosita. I know a lot of basketball fans that are pretty bored. In years past, even last years rockets wArriors series the games were competitive. Many haven't bothered to turn on the jazz warriors or blazers warriors matchups because they just are not entertaining. You expect that sometimes in the first round, but last round was a joke. Furthermore, I'll still watch a cavs warriors finals but I am certainly less into it than I have been the last few years. I know I am not alone on that. It will also be tougher for me to get into the regular season next year because these super teams make it more irrelevant than ever

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2017, 08:35:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I agree it isn't exactly good for the league (thoug the ratings will be good) but Los Angeles made 8 Finals and Boston made 7 in the 80's.  Chicago basically had the 90's all to itself.  In the 00's it was basically just LA or San Antoinio out West though the East was a lot more varied.  In other words the current era isn't all that much different.

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2017, 08:42:09 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
My favorite part of all this is the hypocrisy by the league. Stern vetoed the cp3 to the Dwight/kobe Lakers for basketball reasons, but now its all allowed

I could honestly see d wade, rondo and Melo joining the cavs for the minimum or exceptions or something

As much as I hate David Stern, he based his decision AS THE OWNER OF THE TEAM as the Hornets back then was owned by the league, not as a commisioner of the league. Of course you want a better deal as an owner before selling it. Any owners have a right to veto any trade that they don't like.

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I agree it isn't exactly good for the league (thoug the ratings will be good) but Los Angeles made 8 Finals and Boston made 7 in the 80's.  Chicago basically had the 90's all to itself.  In the 00's it was basically just LA or San Antoinio out West though the East was a lot more varied.  In other words the current era isn't all that much different.

I think it is different if there isn't even a third team to occasionally crash the party in either conference.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2017, 09:36:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think it is different if there isn't even a third team to occasionally crash the party in either conference.
OKC was up 3-1 on GS last year.  San Antonio suffered an injury to its best player and another starter this year.  Who knows what might have been.

Boston and Los Angeles played in 3 of 4 Finals. LA went to 7 Finals in 8 seasons. Boaton went to 4 straight in the timeframe.  I really think you are overselling this argument unless of course you thought the 80's was bad basketball and bad for the league.  If you do that is fine but if not you aren't being consistent which comes off as hypocrisy given the 80's included out team and the present does not.