Author Topic: Ainge tried to trade Thomas & Smart for 2016 lottery pick last summer  (Read 1835 times)

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
On the most recent episode of Bob Ryan's Boston Podcast (via CSN New England), ESPN's Jackie MacMullan reported Celtics general manager Danny Ainge was aggressive in trying to acquire an additional lottery selection. Even Isaiah Thomas was considered a potential trade chip.

"[Ainge] was on the phone with everybody from coast to coast, and he was offering everybody," MacMullan said. "That includes Marcus Smart and [Thomas], and anything else they needed to get where he wanted to go. There were no untouchables on that team last year."

Speaking to Ryan, MacMullan posited Al Horford is the only untouchable player on the Celtics roster when it comes to potential trades. It will be interesting to see if any trade rumors around Thomas reignite this offseason.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:58:35 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

• Bill Walton
I am wondering if he got the trade through, who was he interested in other then Brown? I know Thon Maker worked out for us but I am not sure if Ainge knew he would go so high.

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
I heard the podcast.

This doesn't make sense though. I'm sure Ainge could have got a lottery pick for Isaiah Thomas.

Secondly, he already had the 3rd pick and it was a terrible draft, why would he want another pick?

Thirdly, the recruiting trip to see Durant would have been a short one if we traded Isaiah for a draft pick.

Durant may have even canceled the meeting

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I heard the podcast.

This doesn't make sense though. I'm sure Ainge could have got a lottery pick for Isaiah Thomas.

Secondly, he already had the 3rd pick and it was a terrible draft, why would he want another pick?

Thirdly, the recruiting trip to see Durant would have been a short one if we traded Isaiah for a draft pick.

TP
And yet, people prefer to believe a reporter with no proof than reason.
No sense at all to trade IT at that time. The reporter has something against Danny or get brain washed. My guess : an angry GM that leaks wrong info cos he didn't get his deal last year thanks to Danny.

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
It doesn't necessarily mean that the C's had any interest in a certain player in the draft.  They very well could've been looking for a 2nd pick to package for Butler etc.   

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Jackie Mac is pretty reliable (most of the time).

If Ainge was trying to get another pick it means he really liked someone. Going from his media answers post draft he talked about how good Buddy Hield was.

So my guess is that Hield was the target (if this is true).

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

• Bill Walton
I heard the podcast.

TP
And yet, people prefer to believe a reporter with no proof than reason.
No sense at all to trade IT at that time. The reporter has something against Danny or get brain washed. My guess : an angry GM that leaks wrong info cos he didn't get his deal last year thanks to Danny.

Jackie MacMullan is a very respectable reporter who worked for the Boston Globe, co wrote a book with Larry Bird and has been covering the Celtics for 20 + years...I am sure there is something to this story.

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Very strange timing to put out those kind of news out there, isn't it???

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
"Rumors" like this are frustrating.

What's it even mean? The Celtics were trying to trade IT for lottery pick Ben Simmons? Or they were trading my him for Taurean Prince?

What was the end game? Were the Celtics aiming on having four first rounders?

Were the Celtics - with cap space for two max free agents - going to tear down the team again? Was this part of a larger package? Why couldn't Danny find a buyer for an all-star on an ultra-cheap contract?

Or, is it possible that Jackie just has bad information? She's well-respected, but what's the last story she's broken? She was trashed pretty heavily for "making up" Lamarcus Aldridge rumors, allegedly even calling the Spurs to apologize.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:25:33 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
When they talked about this on Felger and Maz, the idea was that they wanted to draft Jaylen but they were trying to get another top 5 (or so) pick so that they could trade the third pick for Butler and still draft Jaylen. 

To me this says more about how much they like Jaylen than anything else. 

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
When they talked about this on Felger and Maz, the idea was that they wanted to draft Jaylen but they were trying to get another top 5 (or so) pick so that they could trade the third pick for Butler and still draft Jaylen. 

This makes more sense. Bulls likely wouldn't have had any interest in IT with Butler gone and the Cs probably simply liked Butler more than IT; I would be surprised if that wasn't still the case.

Regardless, this story comes out at a very peculiar time.

Edit: I can't believe I just said something on Felger/Mazz made sense.  :o

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Can't we merge this with the thread from a couple of days ago in this exact topic
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

This makes more sense. Bulls likely wouldn't have had any interest in IT with Butler gone and the Cs probably simply liked Butler more than IT; I would be surprised if that wasn't still the case.

Regardless, this story comes out at a very peculiar time.

Edit: I can't believe I just said something on Felger/Mazz made sense.  :o

Yes, this makes more sense. Actually, it'd be interesting if they revisit that trade. Let's say it's some sort of 3-team trade with Boston, Chicago and team X.

Out: IT, Smart and Crowder
In: Butler and filler (hopefully a rebounding big)

Would we still be able to sign a max free agent then?
- LilRip