Author Topic: I want Lonzo to fail  (Read 4352 times)

Re: I want Lonzo to fail
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 09:39:05 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
im not a fan of his dad at all,
 but i hope the kid succeeds just from a fan of the game standpoint - i was tuning in to watch ucla play before i ever heard of his dad just because he seemed like that special of a player. he didn't disappoint.

so its always fun to watch truly great players - which would be fun if he turned out to be one.

but i would think at this point his dad's setting him up to fail - esp if he does end up in LA. his dads already put his kid in the same conversation as kobe. jordan, etc. the bar is being set impossibly high.  and playing in front of hometown is tough. look at lebron. took him years to win one in cleveland and left for miami for awhile first.  i think its gonna be real tough on lonzo as a teenager/ young 20's playing for the lakers. he might be better off starting somewhere else then coming back to LA when he's matured and ready.

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 09:47:55 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Lonzo should not be punished for his father's problems.

When Lavarr said UCLA lost because of Lonzo's white teammates, Lonzo should have come out and strongly condemned those remarks.

A white person would be labeled a racist in such a situation. Can you imagine?

Either he is spineless or he agrees with his father's ignorant statements.

Either way he is at the very least a horrible teammate.

Sure, but it's not easy when it's your dad and your still a teenager though.

This 100% over and over again.  Give the kid a chance.  Too many of us have poor excuses for human beings as parents and we should give the kid s break.  Even if he has no interest in playing for the C's.

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 09:50:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ball is the player I think might turn out better than Fultz, if there is a player in this draft that does. His court vision is special. His passing ability and ability to get the ball exactly where his team mates need to have it is as good as Rondo, if not better. He can shoot the three at a 40% rate, weird shot and all. He is a great finisher. If he uses his size and athleticism to the max he should be an above average to great defender. And he is a good respectful smart kid.

He won't let his father ruin his career or be a distraction. Neither will any team that signs him. I think his father is going to be to busy bothering the UCLA coach when his other sons don't star on the team.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 09:52:35 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I would rather Durant fail to win a championship for as long as he stays in GSW lol

And I would rather Fultz have a HoF career, provided we draft him :laugh:
- LilRip

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 09:57:05 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Strong statement, but I sure wouldn't mind if he became a very average NBA player. Not only because of the obnoxiousness, but also the Laker connection.

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I've personally never been a fan of his game.  Very skeptical about it translating.  He isn't a scoring threat besides from beyond the arc.

He doesn't have the speed or handle to get by guys even in college and he has zero mid range or floater game. Did not see him run much pick and roll in UCLA so not sure how good he is there even though he's probably terrific.

Defensively he's awful and only an average athlete. Not great handles, can't blow by guys so how is he going to create in the half court.

Looks really good in a fast up and down system but what happens when the game is half court? He's gonna take a bunch of step back threes.

He's a good passer but so is Markelle Fultz.  In fact, Fultz had much worse teammates but still had a higher assist percentage.

Fultz is a prototypical modern guard with very few flaws.  Only thing is that his team sucked (not his fault) and the fact that he is an 8/10 athlete and not a freak of nature.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 05:52:02 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I have no issues against lavar.  Obviously then I have no issues against lonzo.

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
All I can say is he better sell a lot of shoes quick before he actually plays. He already will have Curry & the Warriors wanting to dominate him based on his fathers comments and now Kyrie & the Cavs will want to demolish him based on what he said about Kyrie and his mom.

I don't find Lonzo as innocent in this as he is obviously buying into his father's BS so therefore he is an accomplice and he will have to live by the path his father is paving for him at least initially.

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
It's pretty petty to wish failure upon a kid (who by all accounts is a great kid) solely because his father is an intolerable ***.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 06:39:33 PM »

Online Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
It's pretty petty to wish failure upon a kid (who by all accounts is a great kid) solely because his father is an intolerable ***.

I agree, but it's hard to root for him too with his dad pumping him up. I'm not hoping him to fail, but I'd like to see him knocked down a little a see if he's actually all that. It's part of Fultz and his mom I like. Very humble.

Could this be Bird vs Magic reincarnated?

I don't think Ball and his dad could handle Boston's media and Fans. And you know Smart would give Ball a little extra in practice, and it would implode Lavars head.

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 06:42:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
You and me both.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

When Lavarr said UCLA lost because of Lonzo's white teammates, Lonzo should have come out and strongly condemned those remarks.

This 100% over and over again.  Give the kid a chance.  Too many of us have poor excuses for human beings as parents and we should give the kid s break.  Even if he has no interest in playing for the C's.

Yes, he's young, and Laker hatred aside, I hope he turns it around maturity-wise.

But so far his silence is telling, and IMO speaks to a lack of character. And as I stated, he didn't back up his UCLA teammates (at least publicly) after those comments.

Those are big red flags to me.

All he has had to do is send out a couple tweets saying he disagrees with his dad and this would all be fine. But he hasn't.

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 09:53:45 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Yes, he's young, and Laker hatred aside, I hope he turns it around maturity-wise.

But so far his silence is telling, and IMO speaks to a lack of character. And as I stated, he didn't back up his UCLA teammates (at least publicly) after those comments.

Those are big red flags to me.

All he has had to do is send out a couple tweets saying he disagrees with his dad and this would all be fine. But he hasn't.
So you're basically asking lonzo to disown his father at 19.  Okay.  And what if he supports his dad?  So what.

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 10:18:36 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
You know what? Ball is a public figure. I used to love to hate Kobe Bryant. One of my favorite guys to hate, actually. This self-righteous talk is such a joke. Man have some fun with it. Lavar Ball is a JERK. And it would be great to see his justifications and ultimate fall into obscurity if Lonzo turns out to be bad.

Lonzo does seem like a sweet kid. But not sweet enough to overcome how much I hate his dad.

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I really dont think he is going to be a good player