Author Topic: Give me your realistic 2018 10-man playoff rotation  (Read 5532 times)

Re: Give me your realistic 2018 10-man playoff rotation
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2017, 07:48:50 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
IT/Fultz
AB/Smart
Hayward/Brown
Crowder/Yabusele
Horford/Zizic

Our depth and salary:

IT (6mil)/Fultz (6mil)
AB (9mil)/Smart (4.5 mil)
Crowder (7mil)/ Brown (5mil)
Hayward (30mil)/Yabusele (2mil)
Horford (26mil)/Zizic (1.5mil)

So the total amount for main rotation is only 97 million, 5 million still below the cap. AFAIK, big markets have higher cap limit than the standard. It could be 104 for our cap limit, plus the willingness to pay the luxury tax if Danny and the ownership feels like this group is ready to compete. AB and IT could have a pay increase or both of them could be shipped along with Crowder for an upgrade.

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2017, 07:54:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Horford / Zizic
Crowder / KO
Hayward / Brown
Smart / Fultz
IT / Rozier

I am sorry but Kelly is a goner.

Why?

I think he is going to get a huge offer and the Celtics will not match it...much like ET last year.

I think under that circumstance they'd try to work a sign and trade, because otherwise we lose the salary slot.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
Please, enough already with the Pilsbury dough boy Olynyk, just let him walk.I've seen enough. ::)

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2017, 08:59:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Please, enough already with the Pilsbury dough boy Olynyk, just let him walk.I've seen enough. ::)

If the choice is either KO or a vet minimum guy, I'm taking KO.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Horford / Zizic
Crowder / KO
Hayward / Brown
Smart / Fultz
IT / Rozier

I am sorry but Kelly is a goner.

Why?

I think he is going to get a huge offer and the Celtics will not match it...much like ET last year.
And there will be another team disappointed just like the Blazers. 

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I'll take a guy like Amir or Zeller with a 2nd year non-guaranteed contract.  With the cap leveling off, those type of contracts will be quite useful again.  Tying up 4 years of cap space in KO makes little sense regardless of whether Ainge tries to build a contender, goes into full rebuild mode or straddles the fence. 

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2017, 10:03:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'll take a guy like Amir or Zeller with a 2nd year non-guaranteed contract.  With the cap leveling off, those type of contracts will be quite useful again.  Tying up 4 years of cap space in KO makes little sense regardless of whether Ainge tries to build a contender, goes into full rebuild mode or straddles the fence.

Those contracts aren't really that useful for trading purposes anymore, as only guaranteed salary counts for matching purposes now. Existing contracts are grandfathered for one season, but going forward, they're not great trade chips.

Also, the cap hold for Amir is too high to keep him on a Bird rights contract unless we're going to forego signing a max contract. Same thing with Zeller's contract; if we don't waive him, he takes up valuable cap room.

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I'm hazy on salary cap and salaries so correct me if I'm wrong:

Assuming we get PG or Butler for AB+Crowder + pick/s
IT/Rozier
Fultz/Smart
Brown/Gerald Green
George (or Butler)/James Johnson
Horford/Zizic

I assume in this scenario, Amir and KO are both gone because we can't afford them. Otherwise, if we could keep KO, I'd bump James Johnson to SF and slot KO in as back up PF. Also, during the regular season, I wouldn't want to start George or Butler full time on PF, which is why I think the team also needs an enforcer for the 82-game grind like a Jared sullinger or Terrence Jones for the minimum, but when the playoffs roll around, they'll start picking up DNP's.

If we can't make a trade...
IT/Rozier
Fultz/Smart
Brown/Crowder
Griffin or Hayward/whatever big man we get for Bradley
Horford/Zizic

The assumption is we can't keep AB, Amir or KO if we want to sign a max FA.
- LilRip

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »

Offline WRbleedgreen

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
IT, Fultz
Bradley, Smart/Rozier
Hayward, Brown
Millsap, Crowder
Horford, Zizic

I've seen a lot of people put Yabu in their lineups for next year. I haven't seen much video of him but is he really ready for minutes in the NBA?

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 10:40:27 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Trade AB, Jackson, and future pick for Chriss and Barbosa.

Trade Zeller, Rozier, and future pick for Favors.

IT. Fultz
Hayward. Smart
Brown. Crowder
Horford.  Chriss
Favors.  Zizic

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2017, 11:13:27 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
Trade Crowder and Rozier for Vucevic and the 25th (I think) pick and use that pick on Caleb Swanigan. 

Trade Avery for a future pick to create cap space to max out Hayward.

IT / Smart / Jackson
Fultz / Brown
Hayward / Green / Nader
Horford / Swanigan / Yabusele
Vucevic / Zizic
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:19:06 PM by notthebowler »

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2017, 11:17:01 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Those contracts aren't really that useful for trading purposes anymore, as only guaranteed salary counts for matching purposes now. Existing contracts are grandfathered for one season, but going forward, they're not great trade chips.

Also, the cap hold for Amir is too high to keep him on a Bird rights contract unless we're going to forego signing a max contract. Same thing with Zeller's contract; if we don't waive him, he takes up valuable cap room.
Thanks for the info.  Sounds like they'd still be useful for midseason trades.  They also allow you to free up cap space for free agency acquisitions.  Committing 4 years to KO just doesn't seem smart.  I'd rather have the flexibility with cap space.

I wasn't speaking specifically about Amir and Zeller.  Both of them need to go.  Just similar players that you could get for those type of contracts. 

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2017, 11:31:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like they'd still be useful for midseason trades.  They also allow you to free up cap space for free agency acquisitions.  Committing 4 years to KO just doesn't seem smart.  I'd rather have the flexibility with cap space.

I wasn't speaking specifically about Amir and Zeller.  Both of them need to go.  Just similar players that you could get for those type of contracts.

If we're going to sign Hayward or another max contract, those types of deals won't be available to use. KO is literally the only guy we can sign to a decent sized contract after we sign Hayward (and that's only if we move Bradley).

I'm with you on ideally not wanting to commit to KO long-term, but if we sign a max free agent, he may be the only guy who preserves that big $10 - $15 million salary slot we may want to use in future trades.

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2017, 12:03:05 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I think ultimately we see George, Hayward and Butler stay put and that the most likely scenario is that we replace Young with Fultz and run it back. 

But I do have a hunch that Danny is waiting in the wings to crush Phil over a Melo trade.   Something like, Fultz/Amir/Zeller for Melo plus their 2018 & 2020 unprotected 1sts.     

Then perhaps move AB for a front court player.  Something weird, like the Rondo trade.  Maybe for Thon Maker and Spencer Hawes?

IT, Rozier,
Brown, Smart
Melo, Crowder
Horford, Maker
KO, Zizic, Hawes

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2017, 12:08:41 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Giving up fultz for melo would set the franchise back 15 years