Author Topic: Why are so many asking about trading IT?  (Read 4946 times)

Re: Why are so many asking about trading IT?
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2017, 09:37:00 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I can understand trading IT if you're getting back an upgrade. Like trading IT and a Brooklyn pick for Westbrook or Davis or with other picks for a Towns or Porzingas. But some of the trades I have seen have just dumped him for nothing, which can't happen.

I would offer IT the same deal everyone else can offer him, a 4 year max deal, and see if he takes it. If he does and take it, let him play with Fultz until Fultz is a star, then trade him.
I think the same path is the way to go. I would ask for just under the 4 year max and see if he will puts me money to win. If Tiny Archibald can win as a point guard in Boston why not IT4. If you DA gets value for any player they will be traded as well.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2017, 09:41:54 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I do not like undersized score first no defense PGs.

I have never warmed up to IT. I would be happy to see him gone.

Yep, same here. Appreciate all he's done for us as a Celtic, but I still view him as best fit for a sixth man scoring spark plug off the bench.

Fultz and IT's injury just cemented this sentiment for me. I'd rather keep AB for less money long-term than max out IT coming off of a major injury like this.
IT is around a 16 million dollar player making 7 million but at age 29, he will get worse midway through his next contract. If the goal is to win a championship, Ainge should not investing big money into an undersized, defensively deficient IT heading into his 30s. It was always pure lunacy to do that. It is now more obvious given his injury situation.

Basically, that's it. The problem is that his injury might take some months to heal and so he can't be traded in offseason. If he is traded at the deadline, the return will be very poor (but maybe better than losing him for nothing).

I don't think a contending team can pay him more than 18 M per year, he's been too exposed in these playoffs defensively (2017 Rondo was absolutely owning him). He'll get like 25 million per year from a losing team to entertain the fan base and maybe carry them to 15+ wins.

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2017, 09:43:01 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I am not in favor of trying to trade IT.  I doubt Danny Ainge is in favor of that too.

Isaiah has issues as a defender no doubt but he is a tremendous offensive player who will be voted at the #5 Most Valuable Player spot in my opinion.   So if the Cs could trade him to get one of the other top 4 MVP candidates I'm all for it...guess what - that ain't happenin. 

So the Cs should concentrate on making a trade to get another scorer/defender like Paul George (without trading IT) by either trading current players and/or by trading the #1 pick in the draft. 

I for one am not placing much hope on any current college players developing into an NBA star because of the one and done situation.  There aren't any Kobes, Duncans, James HOF types in college on the horizon.  The only way the draft has immediate help is if you can get a once in a generation type kid which is very rare these days.  Most of the top kids now are 16 pt scorers in college which do not thrill me at all in terms of getting help right away.  Even the top 10 guys in college all need to be developed due to the one and done situation.

MikeB
There aren't any superstars in college on the horizon? That's an absurd comment. Of course there are.

Who cares is a pick gives us "immediate help"? Trying to acquire flawed players to prop up this horribly flawed team would be suicide.

And no, Isaiah doesn't just have "issues as a defender", he's one of the worst defensive players in the league. Giving him a max or close to it would be nuts. I hope Ainge realizes that. Given that he tried to trade him, I suspect he does.

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2017, 09:45:24 AM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
The biggest problem is the new contract length. That is why people want to trade him. If we sign a 29 year old IT to 5 year deal, how will IT look at 34? Will he average 25 at 34 years of age. IT deserves money and i would give 30 mil oer season just not to a contract longer than 3 years. And here is where the problem starts. If we can't sign him on shorter deal than the options are:

1. Max 5 year deal, IT will be 34 than
2. Trade him for some OK package, because we won't get a lot
3. Let him go in free agency

Trade him doesn't sound bad from all these options. IT won't lead us to title but he is an all star. Also he is 5'9 and i'm afraid how good he will be at age 34 with that size. If we can sign him to a 60mil/2yrs or 90mil/3yrs deal, that would be dream scenario, but also imposible i think

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2017, 11:29:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The biggest problem is the new contract length. That is why people want to trade him. If we sign a 29 year old IT to 5 year deal, how will IT look at 34? Will he average 25 at 34 years of age. IT deserves money and i would give 30 mil oer season just not to a contract longer than 3 years. And here is where the problem starts. If we can't sign him on shorter deal than the options are:

1. Max 5 year deal, IT will be 34 than
2. Trade him for some OK package, because we won't get a lot
3. Let him go in free agency

Trade him doesn't sound bad from all these options. IT won't lead us to title but he is an all star. Also he is 5'9 and i'm afraid how good he will be at age 34 with that size. If we can sign him to a 60mil/2yrs or 90mil/3yrs deal, that would be dream scenario, but also imposible i think
You give him the same offer everyone else will give him, a 4 year max and let him decide if he wants to be a Celtic. When he takes it you trade him once Fultz becomes a star. If he doesn't take it, oh well, make cap space and grow with a signed free agent and youth.