Author Topic: Why are so many asking about trading IT?  (Read 4947 times)

Re: Why are so many asking about trading IT?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 02:37:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Reflex.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 02:58:25 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
People here get a hard on over prospects and draft picks. I feel like we have 76er fans here. I like to live in the now. Gimme Paul George with the intention of staying over a kid any day.

IT4 is a beast, truly special scorer. Can you imagine him with help? If you can't load up on him, he would kill you.

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
I'm not sure that trading IT makes any sense, because I doubt that he can even get back a lottery pick with his weaknesses and contract status.

But that's a completely different argument than not wanting to max him out. I'm not sure that you can make a reasonable argument to max IT out anymore after what we've seen this playoffs plus the probable addition of Fultz.

I disagree. He carried us to the playoffs and through two series, and then we fell apart completely when he got injured. If anything these playoffs confirmed that we have to give him the max. Without him we're a lottery team.

This is the point of points. Pay the man. He's earned it. He'll continue to.

And, get him some help.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 07:30:13 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Why trade IT?
Because we shouldn't pay him max money with Fultz coming.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Why trade IT?

So we shouldn't bother recruiting/paying Hayward max money because Brown is coming? Or Griffin because Zizic is coming? Got it!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 07:35:06 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Because people knee jerk react to a few bad games not knowing he's hurt and playing threw something that really effects his athleticism.

With this injury though it could effect his play moving forward and shorten his career. Just depends on how bad, and how he heals. DA shouldn't trade for PG13 with the first pick, he made need Fultz to take over PG duties sooner than later.

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 08:08:05 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Why trade IT?

So we shouldn't bother recruiting/paying Hayward max money because Brown is coming? Or Griffin because Zizic is coming? Got it!

Hayward could play the two and Brown the three.
But I would prefer Paul George at the three and Brown at the two.

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 08:12:07 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
With this hip labrum tear, whether we like it or not, IT will not be traded this summer. Nobody is going to give any return value for him until he comes back and proves he's healthy.

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 08:16:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
With this hip labrum tear, whether we like it or not, IT will not be traded this summer. Nobody is going to give any return value for him until he comes back and proves he's healthy.

His long-term value may take a hit.  Given the timing, I wonder if he could be brought back at a compact Brinks sedan rate. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm not sure that trading IT makes any sense, because I doubt that he can even get back a lottery pick with his weaknesses and contract status.

But that's a completely different argument than not wanting to max him out. I'm not sure that you can make a reasonable argument to max IT out anymore after what we've seen this playoffs plus the probable addition of Fultz.

I disagree. He carried us to the playoffs and through two series, and then we fell apart completely when he got injured. If anything these playoffs confirmed that we have to give him the max. Without him we're a lottery team.

This is the point of points. Pay the man. He's earned it. He'll continue to.

And, get him some help.

The cost of a championship is through the roof right now.  Golden State had the luxury of adding Durant because Curry was locked in this season at 12m, while Thompson and Green are each locked in at under 20m for the next 2 and 3 seasons, respectively. 

Cleveland has responded by attempting to buy a championship, ~34m over the cap this season.  If the Celtics want to compete for a chip, they need to pony up... not just for IT, but another star.  IT is absolutely 1 of 3-4 stars on a championship team. 

Isaiah may also be willing to take a cut to stay in Boston, or a shortened deal.  I thought his contract could be renegotiated after this season also, but I haven't read anything about that as a possibility. 

The loudest contingent of naysayers believe we should trade IT for a lottery pick, but there is no way Ainge will opt to set us back after IT's emergence and the Horford signing.  He has the luxury of sustaining incremental improvement while adding pieces for the future.  If Brown, Fultz, BKN 18 develop nicely, we could have the beginnings of a GS era in Boston.  The beautiful part is that these guys will get to learn on the job from a great coach, two great players, and plenty of playoff experience early on. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
It'll never, ever happen, but the cold, logical trade of IT would be IMO:

IT, Bradley, Crowder
<=>
Paul George

1) Gains $3M in cap room, enough to keep Rozier + DJax if we want, and still sign Hayward.
2) George will cost $20M less than IT + Bradley to re-sign.
3) Moves forward with a Fultz / Brown backcourt, with Rozier + Smart in the meantime.
4) If George walks, we still have Fultz/Brown/Hayward/Horford core and max money to spend.

After trade:

Smart / Brown / Hayward / George / Horford
(Fultz, Rozier, DJax, Yabusele, Zizic, FA vets)

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
can't get nothing for him untill he return to basketball and shows what he can still do on the court. 

I don't see a trade happening till he can be back on the court .  He has a serious injury to overcome.

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I do not like undersized score first no defense PGs.

I have never warmed up to IT. I would be happy to see him gone.

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Yep, same here. Appreciate all he's done for us as a Celtic, but I still view him as best fit for a sixth man scoring spark plug off the bench.

Getting the ability to draft Fultz and IT's injury just cemented this sentiment for me. I'd rather keep AB for less money long-term than max out IT coming off of a major injury like this.

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 09:20:40 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35

Yep, same here. Appreciate all he's done for us as a Celtic, but I still view him as best fit for a sixth man scoring spark plug off the bench.

Fultz and IT's injury just cemented this sentiment for me. I'd rather keep AB for less money long-term than max out IT coming off of a major injury like this.
IT is around a 16 million dollar player making 7 million but at age 29, he will get worse midway through his next contract. If the goal is to win a championship, Ainge should not investing big money into an undersized, defensively deficient IT heading into his 30s. It was always pure lunacy to do that. It is now more obvious given his injury situation.