Author Topic: Why are so many asking about trading IT?  (Read 4950 times)

Why are so many asking about trading IT?
« on: May 20, 2017, 01:31:12 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
I am not in favor of trying to trade IT.  I doubt Danny Ainge is in favor of that too.

Isaiah has issues as a defender no doubt but he is a tremendous offensive player who will be voted at the #5 Most Valuable Player spot in my opinion.   So if the Cs could trade him to get one of the other top 4 MVP candidates I'm all for it...guess what - that ain't happenin. 

So the Cs should concentrate on making a trade to get another scorer/defender like Paul George (without trading IT) by either trading current players and/or by trading the #1 pick in the draft. 

I for one am not placing much hope on any current college players developing into an NBA star because of the one and done situation.  There aren't any Kobes, Duncans, James HOF types in college on the horizon.  The only way the draft has immediate help is if you can get a once in a generation type kid which is very rare these days.  Most of the top kids now are 16 pt scorers in college which do not thrill me at all in terms of getting help right away.  Even the top 10 guys in college all need to be developed due to the one and done situation.

MikeB

Re: Why are so many asking about trading IT?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
It's only a small but loud contingent, fortunately. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I am not in favor of trying to trade IT.  I doubt Danny Ainge is in favor of that too.

Isaiah has issues as a defender no doubt but he is a tremendous offensive player who will be voted at the #5 Most Valuable Player spot in my opinion.   So if the Cs could trade him to get one of the other top 4 MVP candidates I'm all for it...guess what - that ain't happenin. 

So the Cs should concentrate on making a trade to get another scorer/defender like Paul George (without trading IT) by either trading current players and/or by trading the #1 pick in the draft. 

I for one am not placing much hope on any current college players developing into an NBA star because of the one and done situation.  There aren't any Kobes, Duncans, James HOF types in college on the horizon.  The only way the draft has immediate help is if you can get a once in a generation type kid which is very rare these days.  Most of the top kids now are 16 pt scorers in college which do not thrill me at all in terms of getting help right away.  Even the top 10 guys in college all need to be developed due to the one and done situation.

MikeB
Well, according to Jackie Mac, Ainge offered IT for a lottery pick in last years draft.

''I can tell you this, before the draft last year, last year.  Danny was trying to get 2 picks, not just Jaylen Brown.  He was trying to get 2 picks.  He was on the phone with everyone from coast to coast, and he was offering everybody, and that includes Marcus Smart and Isaiah Thomas and anything else they needed to get where he wanted to go.  There were no untouchables on that team last year.''

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 01:50:57 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
It's only a small but loud contingent, fortunately.

Yes, exactly.

It's more than a little unbecoming, but they're frustrated after last night's blood-letting and mostly letting off steam. They'll calm down in due course and, hopefully, come to their senses about Isaiah, a truly great player the Celtics are lucky to have.

I don't know why, but far too many critics either don't seem to realize or are unwilling to acknowledge that he's been playing hurt in the playoffs for probably longer than we'll ever know. I hope the staff can get him patched up so he can finish strong. You know how torn up inside he must be right now.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I'm not sure that trading IT makes any sense, because I doubt that he can even get back a lottery pick with his weaknesses and contract status.

But that's a completely different argument than not wanting to max him out. I'm not sure that you can make a reasonable argument to max IT out anymore after what we've seen this playoffs plus the probable addition of Fultz, barring some very specific circumstances and signings.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Its a good question because to trade you need a trading partner. So those calling for a trade should propose the destination.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 01:59:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I'm not sure that trading IT makes any sense, because I doubt that he can even get back a lottery pick with his weaknesses and contract status.

But that's a completely different argument than not wanting to max him out. I'm not sure that you can make a reasonable argument to max IT out anymore after what we've seen this playoffs plus the probable addition of Fultz.

I disagree. He carried us to the playoffs and through two series, and then we fell apart completely when he got injured. If anything these playoffs confirmed that we have to give him the max. Without him we're a lottery team.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

But that's a completely different argument than not wanting to max him out. I'm not sure that you can make a reasonable argument to max IT out anymore after what we've seen this playoffs plus the probable addition of Fultz.
All it takes is one desperate GM to offer him max/near max money and we 'll lose him for nothing. If we don't plan to pay him we might as well trade him for the best package we can get.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 02:04:06 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It's tough. As others have said, I'm not sure even what is trade value is. But obviously with the logjam at the guard position about to get even worse with the likely drafting of Fultz, it's something that has to at least be considered. We can't keep everyone.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

But that's a completely different argument than not wanting to max him out. I'm not sure that you can make a reasonable argument to max IT out anymore after what we've seen this playoffs plus the probable addition of Fultz, barring some very specific circumstances and signings.

Its tough to find a situation that makes sense for him. By way of comparison didn't Utah trade the number 12 pick last year for 1 year of George Hill? I gotta think then that some team in the lottery would value Isaiah's offense enough to offer a lottery pick.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Its tough to find a situation that makes sense for him. By way of comparison didn't Utah trade the number 12 pick last year for 1 year of George Hill? I gotta think then that some team in the lottery would value Isaiah's offense enough to offer a lottery pick.

Teague is from Indy, though, and he wants to stay there. Outside of LA, I'm not sure where IT would agree to stay for a team with a lottery pick.

I do wonder what LA would give us for IT, though.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 02:16:20 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I disagree. He carried us to the playoffs and through two series, and then we fell apart completely when he got injured. If anything these playoffs confirmed that we have to give him the max. Without him we're a lottery team.

Naw, you could make that argument before the lottery, but with Fultz probably coming here we've already drafted his replacement I think. Between Fultz and Jaylen, I think our scoring will be fine without IT, even if we take a step back in the interim. This team was always a bridge team anyways.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 02:20:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

Naw, you could make that argument before the lottery, but with Fultz probably coming here we've already drafted his replacement I think. Between Fultz and Jaylen, I think our scoring will be fine without IT, even if we take a step back in the interim. This team was always a bridge team anyways.

That's a recipe for being a perennial lottery team like the Twolves.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 02:25:48 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Teague is from Indy, though, and he wants to stay there. Outside of LA, I'm not sure where IT would agree to stay for a team with a lottery pick.

I do wonder what LA would give us for IT, though.
Utah was the one giving the pick, not Indy. The Jazz traded their #12 pick for George Hill.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
In theory a trade should benefit both teams.  So by that standard everybody is tradeable.  Only the people that immediately want to trade someone they don't like are wanting to trade IT right now.