Poll

Should we try starting Crowder at power forward so Jaylen can start next year?

Yes
12 (42.9%)
No
16 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Next season: Should Crowder play PF to move Jaylen into the starting line up?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
These first two games have been enough for me to think that Jaylen needs to start next season. We need to get him on the floor and develop with as many minutes as possible next year.
He's just too talented and potentially untapped keeping him on the bench.

He's a two way player and the sooner he gets minutes and experience, the sooner we are competing for a championship with him and (probably Fultz) as key contributors.

This would assume we don't get Hayward in free agency and don't trade for Jimmy Butler.
If those two things don't happen then putting Crowder at PF like we've seen this playoffs might be an excellent way to develop Jaylen quickly.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Crowder is a bench player, to small to guard anyone serious at the 3 position let alone 4 position. You should check yourself man.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
As a stretch four off the bench (playing also minutes in SF position), yes. But not starting. If Horford is a bit undersized at C, we can't have a 6'6" or so PF.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Many say Crowder's a bargain.

He's paid commensurate for what he is: he's a bench player. He's the 8th or 9th guy in a rotation, but because our other SF is a rookie, he gets starting minutes.

If shipping him out is needed to help complete a trade that makes this a better team, Ainge shouldn't hesitate.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Crowder is no PF.

In the CLE series he is averaging  6 RPG but he can't guard real fours.

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Crowder being our starting PF would be a direct indication of a failed off season and failed drafts...

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Nope, he should be a bench player. The question is would he be willing to go back to being a six man type after getting into the starting lineup? Its funny how many players on this team you can say "Would be an awesome sixth man."

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Crowder can't play PF. I'd rather play Smart their than Jae. Jae should be a backup SF behind Jaylen or he should be on another team.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Absolutely.

With or without Hayward signing. If we do get Hayward, then the potential of keeping KO is still there if we move AB for a future pick; however, I would rather KO come off the bench.

IT/Brown/Hayward/Crowder/Horford would be a very formidable line-up as we would be adding size to the SG position.

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Absolutely.

With or without Hayward signing. If we do get Hayward, then the potential of keeping KO is still there if we move AB for a future pick; however, I would rather KO come off the bench.

IT/Brown/Hayward/Crowder/Horford would be a very formidable line-up as we would be adding size to the SG position.

That lineup would have crazy shooting (assuming Browns shot continues improving). that 2-4 should also in theory be very switchable. I do worry about the rebounding though and the pounding Jae would take at the PF position. In addition the rebounding would be.... bad. It would certainly be an interesting closing lineup.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Crowder:
6'4.75'' w/o shoes
6'6'' w/ shoes
6'9'' wingspan
8'4'' standing reach
241 lbs.

Jaylen Brown:
6'5.25'' w/o shoes
6'6.75'' w/ shoes
7' wingspan
8'8'' standing reach
223 lbs.

I hope this helps put things into perspective for some.
Crowder is a 3 with the ability to play the 4 given the right circumstances, nothing more nothing less. Asking Crowder to play between the 3 and 4 only works against certain lineups. For example: asking Crowder to play the 4 against the Cavs is not working out, we need a 4 to help both around the paint (rebounding and defending shots/blocking shots) and out to the 3 (with the footspeed and lateral quickness to defend stretch 4's). Due to our roster and lack of depth at that position + Amir's fall we have asked Crowder to cover more ground that someone bigger with more height and length should be doing.

Jaylen Brown's NBA comparisons were guys like Butler and Derozan, but I bet some of you did not know he is actually shorter than both of them!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:27:14 PM by Future Celtics Owner »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
No, we need an actual big. Jaylen should replace Crowder in the starting lineup.

I still think ideally we sign a Griffin type who can be both a secondary scorer for us and an upgrade in the bigs rotation.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
While next season is too soon, I am hoping Yabusele can take over the power forward role for us by the following year.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
6'5 pf?

Crowder wont be here next year.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
No, we need an actual big. Jaylen should replace Crowder in the starting lineup.

I still think ideally we sign a Griffin type who can be both a secondary scorer for us and an upgrade in the bigs rotation.
I know he is injured right now, but if I had to choose between adding either Hayward or Griffin to finish out this series...100% I go with Griffin.

Having Griffin would change our a lot. Defensively, we have no player that posses the size, length,  and ability to defend around the paint (rebounds, contesting shots, clogging the paint / lane) and out to the 3 (the lateral speed and quick feet to defend&close out stretch 4's) . Just defensively having Griffin would be huge.
Offensively...wow,  just possessing an adept go-to scorer would be huge but adding a legit go-to scorer would double the amount of go-to scorers on our team...lol.