Author Topic: Tatum fans: Sell me drafting Tatum over Fultz  (Read 16382 times)

Re: Tatum fans: Sell me drafting Tatum over Fultz
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2018, 01:01:33 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I know you bumped your own thread triboy in order to toot your own horn, but you still deserve a tp. I am not totally sure you were calling for Tatum to absolutely be the #1 pick, but you certainly raised many good points as to why he should be considered over Fultz.

Fultz may end up being awesome, but I don’t think there is a Cs fan in existence who isn’t happy with the trade now.

Okay I just gave you TP triboy good call.

If I get bored maybe I'll resurrect a Jaylen Brown draft night thread. That one will be filled with a lot of yucks.

I was all aboard the Jaylen hype train so I’d love to see some of those old threads.

I just reread parts of the 2016 draft night thread. I had forgotten how many dunces post here.  ;)

Here it is. Enjoy.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=84900.420

While I can't say I predicted how great Brown would turn out, I can proudly say that I was a fence sitter.

"Love the fact that people don't consider that Danny didn't try to get Butler. Sounds to me like they thought they had him and then the Bulls got cold feet. When he knew Bulls were going to have him overpay for Butler, he wouldn't do the deal, and when he knew the Sixers wouldn't overpay for the third pick, he took the guy that he really wanted. Simple as that. I'm withholding judgment until I know what Brown is made of."

Better than the large population of "the sky is falling" Debbie Downers that cried on the keyboard that night. Yeesh.

I understand that many (including myself) believed that the Celtics were getting Butler that night, but holy hell, we need a group therapy session for some guys on this board.

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2018, 01:05:04 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I was totally sold on Fultz but quickly jumped to the Tatum bandwagon. When it comes to the draft I don't watch enough collage ball and no high school ball, so I just go by clips and what posts I read. I'll leave it to Danny andshis team. The year we snagged Brown I was happy but I wanted either Brown or Bender so I only had a 50% shot of maybe being right. You really have to wait on the rooks. See them in the playoffs etc. Tatum was a great pick. He's the vet rook, what else can you say.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:12:09 AM by liam »

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2018, 01:07:16 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
As far as Tatum goes, I can't say I was ecstatic about him, but I trusted Danny's judgment. Given all that's happened with Tatum, Brown, and Rozier since then, I think it's fair to say that Danny's rewarded my faith in him.

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2018, 01:09:00 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
As far as Tatum goes, I can't say I was ecstatic about him, but I trusted Danny's judgment. Given all that's happened with Tatum, Brown, and Rozier since then, I think it's fair to say that Danny's rewarded my faith in him.

I was all in on the draft Fultz train, but once I saw the Tatum highlight video...I became genuinely conflicted.

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2018, 01:13:15 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

I was all in on the draft Fultz train, but once I saw the Tatum highlight video...I became genuinely conflicted.

Same. Someone posted his highlights vs. Virginia

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2018, 06:59:51 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
May 2nd, 2018.
OP: Sell me drafting Tatum over Fultz.
Response: Done.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2018, 07:11:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The warning signs were there on Fultz all along missing half a college season, some guys just don't like getting off the hype train once they like a guy, even when it is going off the rails.   Also, a lot of folks like going with what the experts or the NBA is marketing so they seem right.

I wanted Jackson, boy was I wrong!

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2018, 07:26:04 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I know you bumped your own thread triboy in order to toot your own horn, but you still deserve a tp. I am not totally sure you were calling for Tatum to absolutely be the #1 pick, but you certainly raised many good points as to why he should be considered over Fultz.

Fultz may end up being awesome, but I don’t think there is a Cs fan in existence who isn’t happy with the trade now.

If I get bored maybe I'll resurrect a Jaylen Brown draft night thread. That one will be filled with a lot of yucks.

I was all aboard the Jaylen hype train so I’d love to see some of those old threads.

I just reread parts of the 2016 draft night thread. I had forgotten how many dunces post here.  ;)

Here it is. Enjoy.

Wow, reading through that you can see the blog go through all 5 stages of grief (with extra emphasis on "anger")
I'm bitter.

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2018, 07:30:32 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Fultz actually looks pretty good e crept for his outside shot. He can penetrate with ease and dish.

If I were Coach Brown I’d give him some decent minutes 2nd game to mix things up. Can’t do worse than their other guards.

Yeah, I'm reserving judgement on Fultz for now. The little bit that he has played, he's shown he still has 1st pick level talent. He's a smooth athlete who was able to get to the rim against NBA defense even without the threat of shooting at all. If he ever gets himself straight (physically, mentally, whatever) I can easily see him as an all star.

That said, man am I glad the C's drafted Tatum.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2018, 11:26:51 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Fultz actually looks pretty good e crept for his outside shot. He can penetrate with ease and dish.

If I were Coach Brown I’d give him some decent minutes 2nd game to mix things up. Can’t do worse than their other guards.

Yeah, I'm reserving judgement on Fultz for now. The little bit that he has played, he's shown he still has 1st pick level talent. He's a smooth athlete who was able to get to the rim against NBA defense even without the threat of shooting at all. If he ever gets himself straight (physically, mentally, whatever) I can easily see him as an all star.

That said, man am I glad the C's drafted Tatum.
I think what happens with fultz is largely irrelevant.  DA got a future stud plus a draft pick, which is a home run no matter what.  I'm not necessarily rooting against Fultz either.

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2018, 11:39:14 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Here it is. Enjoy.

It's funny how people rewrite history in their minds.  Lots of people were hating on the Brown pick but without the evidence, you'd get some revisionist history from many posters.

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2018, 11:45:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Here it is. Enjoy.

It's funny how people rewrite history in their minds.  Lots of people were hating on the Brown pick but without the evidence, you'd get some revisionist history from many posters.
I was pretty sad we didn't make the trade with the Sixers (Covington, Noel, 24, and 26 for 3), probably would have taken Bender, but was ok with Brown.  I was really curious once Phoenix moved back up if the Celtics could have somehow made the Philly trade and then moved back up and still landed Brown.  Now that would have been quite the draft.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2018, 12:06:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'll readily admit I was not pro-Brown leading up to that draft or on draft night.  I worried he was a guy with lots of physical tools but nothing in particular that he would be able to do well at the NBA level apart from having an NBA body.  In the wrong situation, a guy like that becomes Terrence Williams.

If I remember correctly I was pro-Bender, and I still think he could be a good player and would have already looked better if he wasn't in the worst situation possible.

I also remember feeling that if we were going to take a guard / wing, Jamal Murray was the best bet.

Brown has improved so much in two years, it's astounding.  Did not think it was possible he could become such a good shooter so quickly.

I was wrong on Tatum, too.  Thought he was a Tobias Harris / Harrison Barnes type prospect.  And he is in that category of player (in terms of body and playstyle), but he's obviously a far better prospect than either ever was.  He's already a more valuable player than Harrison Barnes, and will probably surpass Harris next year.  But with the Fultz trade, I thought we traded a guy who could become a Harden or Lillard type lead guard for a complementary swing scorer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2018, 12:09:26 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I wanted Dunn and thought Jaylen was too much of a project

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2018, 12:10:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'll readily admit I was not pro-Brown leading up to that draft or on draft night.

If I remember correctly I was pro-Bender, and I still think he could be a good player and would have already looked better if he wasn't in the worst situation possible.

I also remember feeling that if we were going to take a guard / wing, Jamal Murray was the best bet.

Brown has improved so much in two years, it's astounding.  Did not think it was possible he could become such a good shooter so quickly.
Both Brown and Tatum have amazed this season.

Brown couldn't shoot or do much with the ball and is now hitting 39% of his threes and has added a lot to his handle.

Tatum was supposed to be another Duke star who didn't pass, didn't defend, and was too in love with mid range pull ups. Instead he's been hyper efficient, moved the ball, and held up defensively as a rookie in 30 MPG.

So [dang] impressive from both players, credit to them.